Homebrew Wii - Accessing Network Sockets from Assembly?

HackingNewbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into making a sort of tcpgecko for wii because usb gecko is discontinued. The best way I can think of doing this is an assembly program that's loaded into 0x80001800 and then VI is hooked to this - this is how USB Gecko worked. Now, is it viable to access the networking sockets in assembly to communicate with a computer like tcpgecko for the wii u? Is there any good documentation for the hardware (hollywood) registers used by the networking sockets?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
VI or netcat? Most people hacking ROMS or making homebrew that wants to be firing random bits of data (big chunk or small) around that don't want to go to the effort of full FTP, telnet or even some kind of big boy shell tend to find the likes of netcat a better play, both in general and allowing people to use it (nice windows ports of netcat exist where vi is a bigger ask).
Also do you really want to mess with hardware for this? I would have thought messing around at IOS level would be the better plan for this one, or is this to write the part of the CIOS for that?

On USB gecko didn't some plans and at least binaries for the PIC, CPLD or whatever was used get released at one point? Granted plenty will welcome some kind of network option.

HackingNewbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought a network option would be better than making new USB Geckos (yes they released schematics and VHDL code and everything needed to make one) because that way it's free and can't be broken like a tiny physical device. I don't know much about IOS and CIOS at all so messing around at IOS level isn't an option for me. By VI I meant hooking the VI video system of the Wii (it's a function called very frequently so the blr at the end of the function is replaced by an instruction that would branch to my assembly program which does its TCP thing then does a blr). Eh, I might just do an incredibly dummed down usb gecko with just a USB to SPI bridge (gamecube EXI is basically SPI with a few more pins that don't really matter) because I can't find any good networking documentation

Last edited by HackingNewbie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1