Hardware Wii display output issues, help!

CreamTangerine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a long post but TLDR is that my Wii video output is dark and has artifacts, and the Wii crashes during games.

I recently found a Wii very cheap at a thrift store and it has issues, which I expected.

The display on the console is extremely dark, the colors are slightly off. There are weird artifacts on the screen like a static effect and short diagonal lines appear and disappear spontaneously on the
display. The Wii also only displays on one TV in my house, and not either of my CRTs or on my larger flatscreen. The camera doesn't really get the problem well but on startup it's really dark.

Along with this, the Wii does not display video on the Health and Information screen, only displaying when I click A. The menu audio starts off kind of scrambled and messed up for a second when I click A as well. The Wii display also goes black during playing games (ex. Super Mario Bros. VC and New Super Mario Bros) and even crashes with an error screen telling me to press eject (Super Smash Bros. VC)

I have homebrewed the Wii following wii.guide, but the display problems were there before the homebrew. I also cant boot into priiloader with the display problems as the screen is just black. The crashing did come after the homebrew, but didn’t start immediately as games did work until the next day.

What can I do? I don’t think it’s the cable. My guess (from the MattKC video) is the video filter capacitors are going bad, but I don’t think that would explain the games crashing.

Thank you so much if you know what is going on and can tell me how I may be able to repair it.

Last edited by CreamTangerine,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@CreamTangerine

The Wii also only displays on one TV in my house, and not either of my CRTs or on my larger flatscreen.
Might be that your CRT is not compatible with EDTV resolutions or Component Cables.
About Flat screen not displaying neither, it's very likely the same.

What can I do? I don’t think it’s the cable. My guess (from the MattKC video) is the video filter capacitors are going bad, but I don’t think that would explain the games crashing.
Games crashing, are they original discs? Or dumps/pirate games?

Last edited by JuanMena,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Well I'm sure the mods will take care of it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reminds me of that one Spanish guy who was in here a week or so ago, that wouldn't translate their messages.
  • Arne214 @ Arne214:
    ok sry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I don't remember him
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ Si means yes, no means maybe
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Arne214, it's fine but dont ask for roms here again
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I only know very little Spanish, haven't done it in 5 years lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, que tan poco?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, ages ago but don't remb most of it. Like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, A bit. I only know greetings and some other parts. Its quite an easy language to learn.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    But I don't remember most of it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, easy to learn despite having some relatively complex rules
    +1
  • D @ dadadad:
    Should I just accept that I won't play this game anymore, or is there a way to solve this problem?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For some reason I remember a bunch of swear words tho, lol
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, cuz we swear more than talk normally i guess
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @dadadad I would do like @The Real Jdbye said, they are very wise.
    +2
  • D @ dadadad:
    блядь
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get your nap today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With your wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tell that B to bring me home some dinner, when you done with her...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mrs.B is what I call her she said she left you a $10 jack in the box giftcard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh ok, cool thanks, I found it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc...