Wii hope you enjoy this

Nocturno

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Venezuela
completely agree with you Ace, nintendo is doing this just to make money, they´re not thinking about their fans, I know it´s a business and they have to make money, but they´re taking advantage of all of us, they said a lot of things to make our hype go up and then they saw the opportunity to make even more money making wii overpriced knowing that with the kind of hype they´ve created, many people is going to buy wii no matter what.. I wonder how much does it cost to them to built one wii, I bet it´s not that much, I bet the profit is going to be huge..
and what they´re doing with zelda is awful, I mean, I was mad already since they said gamecube version wasn´t going to be widescreen, come on, how hard is to make widescreen games for gamecube, them they offer a wii version only with a new control scheme and they don´t even bother to upgrade the graphics a little, not only that, if you don´t like zelda with the new control, they don´t give you the option to play it using traditional control, so they are forcing you to buy to versions of the same game..
and what they said about dvd play option, the left it out "to keep the price low", yeah right, they ment "to keep profit up"..

nintendo really suck right now..

you should send exactly what you wrote in a letter to nintendo.. I understand your anger..

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
None taken, you're right. I'm a different person now than I once was. And this Wii situation really has me upset. Hopefully they announce a bundle without Wii Sports. Nothing against it, but that's clearly where the extra $50 is going. And I don't think it's worth it for a game I'd never use.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. Please cancel your preorder so I can have a better chance at getting one. Oh...and that probably goes for everyone else that was disappointed today too. I hope there are a lot of people that cancel their preorders because they have to pay money (OMFG!!!) for a game console.

I will be the only happy Wii owner in the world while everyone else purchases their PlayStation 3s for $350 more of the price not including a game. Happy times happy times.
rofl2.gif

completely agree with you Ace, nintendo is doing this just to make money, they´re not thinking about their fans, I know it´s a business and they have to make money, but they´re taking advantage of all of us, they said a lot of things to make our hype go up and then they saw the opportunity to make even more money making wii overpriced knowing that with the kind of hype they´ve created, many people is going to buy wii no matter what.. I wonder how much does it cost to them to built one wii, I bet it´s not that much, I bet the profit is going to be huge..
and what they´re doing with zelda is awful, I mean, I was mad already since they said gamecube version wasn´t going to be widescreen, come on, how hard is to make widescreen games for gamecube, them they offer a wii version only with a new control scheme and they don´t even bother to upgrade the graphics a little, not only that, if you don´t like zelda with the new control, they don´t give you the option to play it using traditional control, so they are forcing you to buy to versions of the same game..
and what they said about dvd play option, the left it out "to keep the price low", yeah right, they ment "to keep profit up"..

nintendo really suck right now..

you should send exactly what you wrote in a letter to nintendo.. I understand your anger..

Edit: OMFG a company is trying to make money!!! GASP!!! I do must write a letter to Nintendo and complain to them that they are trying to make money. For god sakes it is completely forsaken for a corporation to try and make money from their customers!! I guess we should all go buy PlayStation 3s right? Sony doesn't make money! For sure we don't want these corporations to make money!

Personally...I think Nintendo doesn't really care much about their fans as much as expanding the market and creating new fans.

Suck it up people. Nintendo does not care about you!

Edit 2: Just to continue up on what I said before, is that by including Wii Sports inside the package, you gamers may not like this game at all, but this is a business strategy for Nintendo to make more money (GASP!!!). By doing this, if your parents or friends who don't play games walk by and ask what this 'Wii' is, you will introduce it to them and you'll probably give them a shot at Wii Sports (cause its easy to understand). They'll like it, they'll buy a Wii and they'll tell their friends too. When more people buy the Wii, more developers will make great games for it. If Wii has the highest percentage of the market, wouldn't all the exclusive games be made for it?

I'm a gamer first and foremost, and I hate sports from basketball to handball. But the inclusion of Wii Sports is a TOOL to penetrate the American market. If my wife who doesn't play games would play Wii Sports with me, I think Wii Sports will be my most favourite game. (Isn't games played with friends and family the greatest thing?)

Its different from the Japanese market because the Japanese are open to new things and the Nintendo DS has already expanded the market there. The American market is different. What if you are the common parent who is looking for a game console? "Oh look, this console costs less than the others and includes a game". "Oh look, this console is very expensive...plus I have to buy a game for it too".

Does that make any sense to you?

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Personally...I think Nintendo doesn't really care much about their fans as much as expanding the market and creating new fans.

Suck it up people. Nintendo does not care about you!

Seconded. If you're disappointed that the cheapest next-gen console is still expensive... don't buy it.
If you're disappointed that you have to buy the peripherals and OMG it's almost as expensive as an x360... don't buy it.
If you're disappointed about the bundled game... don't buy it... or import the Japanese version hah.
If you think Nintendo just hyped things up and now taking advantage... jeez it's not like you have to give in to EVERY hype... again, don't buy it.
If the game you were waiting for doesn't live to your expectations because of changes and from what you've seen in gameplay TRAILERS... as much as it sucks to expect much from a game, don't buy it.
If you think Nintendo just f'ed their fans, don't worry, they don't really care about you since they're looking for new ones.

And yes the profit will be huge, they've said it themselves: "We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box -- hardware and software." "That really is a very different philosophy versus our competitors. We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space so we have to make a profit on every thing we do." - Reggie Fils-Aime

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Of course that makes sense. But I'm not talking about the whole, I'm talking about it from my perspective, and my needs. I don't play games with anyone but myself, and I'm not much for sports. So Wii Sports is a useless $50 paperweight to me. So forcing us to buy it is just a way to make money, yes. And there's nothing wrong with having such a bundle. Heck, when Wii Sports was announced I had a feeling it would be bundled. But, and this is a big but... they should have two Wii "bundles" out, one with Wii Sports, and one without. Much like when they sold the original NES. There was the bundle with nothing but the console and controller, and then were was a second more expensive bundle that included all that, Duck Hunt / Super Mario Bros; and a laser gun peripheral. That way any consumer who doesn't want the game, doesn't have to get it.

And don't try and say you could re-sell it after, because game stores couldn't give less of a shit about bundled games. I bought my Crystal Xbox, which came with Crimson Skies and Fable. And when I beat Crimson Skies a few days later I went to sell it at EB. Do you know how much they wanted to give me for it? ONE DOLLAR. As for Zelda, it's not so much a scam to make people buy two copies of the same game, as it is competition. If two versions exist at the same time, some people are obviously going to buy the GameCube version which ultimately hurts the sales (and statistics) of the Wii version. So their plan is to make diehard Zelda fans who don't have the patience to wait another month (okay, closer to 20 days)... purchase the Wii version instead, and obviously with it, a Wii. It's an ingenious tactic, really. But it hurts the consumer.

So now because I have a gaping hole in my life and nothing to fill it, I'm going to be forced to buy a Zelda game version I don't want, and a Wii console which I don't want at the moment (the interesting games, except Zelda, won't be out for a while)... and for which I don't have the money, all because if I didn't it would mean another month of sitting here alone in the dark watching crappy old sitcom reruns I'm not interested in. Face it people, they pulled a Sony: they made a slew of promises, and backed out on a whole bunch of them (I bet there were a bunch of people looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 on launch day), and now us, the fans, are the ones getting screwed. I want my $199 USD Wii, dammit (Which would be about $230-ish +tax, with the current exchange rate). Instead I'm going to have to pay close to, or over, $300 for an extra game I don't want and/or need.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://press.nintendo.com/wiipreview/

login with:

name: guest
pw: nintendo

hope it wasnt post here by someone else...
enjoy how long it works^^

Awesome! Thank-you!

I am totally psyched about this system. I LOVE the idea of Wii sports. I LOVE the idea of having an in-game avatar stored on my Wii-mote. I LOVE the price! Yes, we were all expecting around $50US less but who really cares. I spend that much on a nice dinner. And considering I will be using this console for the next 6 years or so, I can suck it up. The fact is this console is the cheapest of all the new consoles and it offers the best value proposition.

I wonder how much this will cost in Canada. The price translates to ~$280 Canadian, but I'd be willing to bet we'll see a $299 price point up here. I'd be shocked at anything less. Wii Sports will be very cool. And after playing all these mini-sports I will have a good idea which sport I will be investing in an EA game for (Likely Tiger Woods).

My one gripe is (and I'm sure many feel the same way) the price of the controllers. CAD$70 is a lot of money for one controller. Multiply this by 3 and you're looking at CAD$210 on controllers alone! I am buying the Wii mainly for play with friends/family. For my hardcore stuff I have a PC and I'll be buying a PS3. I've also got my DS.
yaynds.gif
The real draw of the Wii, for me, is having a few friends over, a couple drinks and swinging away with our controllers.

The other thing about the cost of the controllers is that the cost doesn't end at CAD$70. Let's say you want that cool Gun-Attachment...x4....CAD$90. Classic controllers...x4....CAD$90. And who knows what other enhancements will hit the market. But then, of course, the brightside. Even if I buy all of these attachments, the price is still lower than a PS3 with 1 standard controller.
bow.gif

Next-gen plan:
1. Buy a Wii package and 1 extra controller combo.
2a. Convince my good buddy Mat to buy a Wii with 1 controller.
OR
2b. Buy 2 more controllers.
3. Wait for the PS3 price to drop (I figure it will take about 1 year).
4. Buy World of Warcraft expansion pack
5. Buy PS3 at reduced price with 1 extra controller.
6. ??????
7. Profit.

EDIT: BTW, folks, the Wii without the Wii Sports game would likely cost US$240. Software is not like hardware, it doesn't cost much more money to produce more of it. Bundling software in this way is really a way to increase the value proposition. It is my guess that Wii Sports is adding it's COST to the package, not it's suggested retail PRICE. So it isn't really the system + a US$50 game, it's more like the system + a US$10 game (which people may value as a $50 game).

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
why is everyone complaing about the price? i just picked myself up a psp and one game and it cost about that much. and so IMO i think that 25000yen is v.cheap for the console. considering that the some shops are now selling DS lites for 24000yen.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Of course that makes sense. But I'm not talking about the whole, I'm talking about it from my perspective, and my needs. I don't play games with anyone but myself, and I'm not much for sports. So Wii Sports is a useless $50 paperweight to me. So forcing us to buy it is just a way to make money, yes. And there's nothing wrong with having such a bundle. Heck, when Wii Sports was announced I had a feeling it would be bundled. But, and this is a big but... they should have two Wii "bundles" out, one with Wii Sports, and one without. Much like when they sold the original NES. There was the bundle with nothing but the console and controller, and then were was a second more expensive bundle that included all that, Duck Hunt / Super Mario Bros; and a laser gun peripheral. That way any consumer who doesn't want the game, doesn't have to get it.

And don't try and say you could re-sell it after, because game stores couldn't give less of a shit about bundled games. I bought my Crystal Xbox, which came with Crimson Skies and Fable. And when I beat Crimson Skies a few days later I went to sell it at EB. Do you know how much they wanted to give me for it? ONE DOLLAR. As for Zelda, it's not so much a scam to make people buy two copies of the same game, as it is competition. If two versions exist at the same time, some people are obviously going to buy the GameCube version which ultimately hurts the sales (and statistics) of the Wii version. So their plan is to make diehard Zelda fans who don't have the patience to wait another month (okay, closer to 20 days)... purchase the Wii version instead, and obviously with it, a Wii. It's an ingenious tactic, really. But it hurts the consumer.

So now because I have a gaping hole in my life and nothing to fill it, I'm going to be forced to buy a Zelda game version I don't want, and a Wii console which I don't want at the moment (the interesting games, except Zelda, won't be out for a while)... and for which I don't have the money, all because if I didn't it would mean another month of sitting here alone in the dark watching crappy old sitcom reruns I'm not interested in. Face it people, they pulled a Sony: they made a slew of promises, and backed out on a whole bunch of them (I bet there were a bunch of people looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 on launch day), and now us, the fans, are the ones getting screwed. I want my $199 USD Wii, dammit (Which would be about $230-ish +tax, with the current exchange rate). Instead I'm going to have to pay close to, or over, $300 for an extra game I don't want and/or need.

Point taken. But still gonna say what I said on my previous post. Don't buy it.

...and yeah, I feel disappointed too;
I don't want Wii Sports either and I don't want to pay for the Opera Browser.
I think sucks that they've pulled out Metroid Prime 3 from their launch list.
It will suck I'll have to skip out on ALOT of DS games just to save for the additional controllers. (Yeah, yeah who buys DS games.)
I hate the gap from Nov 19 to Dec 2, since I will most likely end up with a Japanese version.
... but after thinking of all this I'm still getting one at launch.

A lot of people's expectations have been let down (but you'd have to admit that some of their expectations are way too much, come on). They're disappointed but they shouldn't blame the company. Also, no need for them be spoiled brats and go on tantrums because they didn't what they wanted. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It's not like you NEED it.

As for you Ace, it was really a bad time for your life and especially now to be put down by Nintendo when you were expecting so much. Maybe it's a sign, that you should try to skip out on video games for awhile. Try out other things maybe? Dunno really.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
With the rumours of a 2007 launch for Europe and Australia I'm a little worried. Hopfully they turn out to be completely false. A nice date between the American and Japanese launch would be nice. I guess we'll find out in 6 hours.

Wii 2007 = are you fucking stupid nintendo?!
Wii Nov = Yay, but the price still sucks. Most expensive Nintendo console EVER.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With the rumours of a 2007 launch for Europe and Australia I'm a little worried. Hopfully they turn out to be completely false. A nice date between the American and Japanese launch would be nice. I guess we'll find out in 6 hours.

Wii 2007 = are you fucking stupid nintendo?!
Wii Nov = Yay, but the price still sucks. Most expensive Nintendo console EVER.

Australia always get screwed Opium
dry.gif

I have no doubt we won't be seeing the Wii till 2007.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
As for you Ace, it was really a bad time for your life and especially now to be put down by Nintendo when you were expecting so much. Maybe it's a sign, that you should try to skip out on video games for awhile. Try out other things maybe? Dunno really.

Well actually I don't play that many video games anymore, Zelda: TP is really the only one I'm looking forward to for quite some time.

And second of all, GamerGuyDude, is right about the pricepoint. Canadians are looking at something closer to $299 +tax, +any additional games. Basically, we're looking at the Wii being over $400 with all that stuff. Goody-goody gumdrops...
frown.gif

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
$299 is fine with me...I've been saving since the Revolution was announced.

Oh...it has also been said that Opera will be free until next June. So I hear

QUOTE said:
From IGN Wii

Internet Channel
Go here to access the Opera internet browser. In addition to supporting flash (making this a step up from the DS browser), the browser uses the Wiimote to zoom in and out. The browser will normally cost money, but Nintendo will make it available for free download until June of 2006.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
let look back old nintendo history (the Gamecube will ship in Japan September 14 2001, followed in the U.S. November 18 2001, and in Europe & Australia in early 2002 (May) , said Nintendo officials at a Tokyo news conference.)

it this could be your answer, next year?
and they end up saiding "they wanted to force on U.S and Japan marketing launch"

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo NEED to take advantage of there being no PS3 in PAL territories. Why the hell would they delay the release of Wii till 2007? Nintendo already stated that Wii is production is already looking good and there should be no dips on stock on launch. That sounds like more than enough stock.

I mean come on! Australia only has a population of 20 million, 30,000 units would be enough for launch. I'm getting quite worried about the european conference. Lets hope they put my mind at ease
wink2.gif
2006 launch please.

*edit* I think it'll be 2006, the Australian channel 9 news is meant to have something on Wii tonight.....lets hope.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
QUOTE said:
From IGN Wii

Internet Channel
Go here to access the Opera internet browser. In addition to supporting flash (making this a step up from the DS browser), the browser uses the Wiimote to zoom in and out. The browser will normally cost money, but Nintendo will make it available for free download until June of 2006.

This was confirmed at the Japanese conference. Dunno for US release, where Reggie himself stated that you'll have to buy the Opera browser.

Either way, I'm getting a Japanese system because:
1) No Wii Sports.
2) Free Opera til June
3) More accessible to me than US version.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You would want to be carefull buying a Japanese console Wii, if developers do decide to make games region locked then you could be screwing yourself out of a lot of games.

Note the 360 games do not have to be region locked either but developers so far have chosen to lockout in over half of the available titles.

BTW I gather that they meant the browser would be free until June 2007?? Not 2006.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Attention Canadians, Wii will launch in Canada for $279.95 + tax and games will be $59.99 and launched on November 19th. GET PREORDERING DAMMIT!!! THAT'S MEANS YOU TOO ACE GUNMAN!

Certainly much better than the $299.99 we were expecting.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From E3 president Satoru Iwata said that they plan on shipping 4 million this year, and the remaining 2 million from January to March 2007.

2 million from January to March 2007, I wonder who it be?

2 Million for US
2 Million for Japan
2 Million for Europe (next year 2007)

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You would want to be carefull buying a Japanese console Wii, if developers do decide to make games region locked then you could be screwing yourself out of a lot of games.

Region 2 encoding (Europe, Japan, South Africa and the Middle East including Egypt).
the only things if the console have english setting that be great!

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong

Note the 360 games do not have to be region locked either but developers so far have chosen to lockout in over half of the available titles.

BTW I gather that they meant the browser would be free until June 2007?? Not 2006.

Screw myself out alot of games? Maybe. But most games I want have Japanese versions anyway. So I think not. Especially first-party titles which I doubt will be region locked.

I might "screw myself out" of Madden and EA sports titles but I don't even play them so I guess it's fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1