Wii Mini Confirmed

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My god. A video game system that looks like a video game system! I love the look if only for that.

Anyways, very surprised by this as I would think they'd want to avoid further brand confusion this holiday season. Now the New Wii can mean two different things.

Reactions: Rydian

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HATE this revision. No WiFi and no SD slot is beyond stupid! They could have at least kept a USB port on the damn thing and allowed for the Ethernet Adapter to be used. I swear, if Nintendo starts using this revision as an excuse to start nixing WiFi modes in Wii Games I'm going to be pissed. Actually, if that happens I'll be done with Nintendo. This is a bitch move! Big N had an opportunity to make a box that could compliment the Wii U as a "Second TV box". They could have had something that could compete with the likes of Google TV, Vizio Co Star, Roku and Ouya but instead, they with with this piece of shit! The damn things just looks ugly. It's looks like a toy more than a entertainment machine. They could have at least use the glossy finish on the red area of the system. UGH! WTF Nintendo?!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I HATE this revision. No WiFi and no SD slot is beyond stupid! They could have at least kept a USB port on the damn thing and allowed for the Ethernet Adapter to be used.

This device isn't targeted at gamers; it's aimed at a casual audience that couldn't care less about any of those features. So yeah, it makes perfect sense to cut them out in order to make the product as cheap to produce as possible.

I swear, if Nintendo starts using this revision as an excuse to start nixing WiFi modes in Wii Games I'm going to be pissed. Actually, if that happens I'll be done with Nintendo.

Yes, this will ruin all those high profile Wii games that are still totally being made. This device, exclusive to Canada, will also dictate all of Nintendo's online policy. Obviously.

This is a bitch move! Big N had an opportunity to make a box that could compliment the Wii U as a "Second TV box". They could have had something that could compete with the likes of Google TV, Vizio Co Star, Roku and Ouya (Sure...) but instead, they with with this piece of shit! The damn things just looks ugly. It's looks like a toy more than a entertainment machine. They could have at least use the glossy finish on the red area of the system. UGH! WTF Nintendo?!

You seem to be taking this cheap, marketable redesign as a personal insult. Maybe, I don't know, that's a mistake?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the design but meh.

This will appeal to parents who are too scared to let children have internet enabled devices (I've dealt with one today for a kids toys who got the impression that kids are master hackers that they can bypass the parent locks!) or for those who are too stupid to by a much cheaper used Wii with all of the features.

Pachirisudo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this has an SD Card slot and 2xUSB (And comes to the UK). I'm buying one!
USB and SD are a necessity, not just for hacking, but Guitar Hero/Rock band :P (USB: Microphone/USB-Ethernet*/USB HDD SD : Imported Music)
*After hacking the old OS onto the Wii Mini ;)

theMa6ician

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone's complaining, Im just guessing but I bet that everyone that is complaining has had a Wii for 6 years. It isnt like they are collecting all the older models and destroying them. Someone said said it earlier, this design isnt for the serious gamer. And I didnt buy a Wii to play Gamecube, and Im sure my people didnt either. To this day I still tell people "you know you can play those GC games in your Wii right?" Netflix- Nobody watches SD Wii Netflix. Online play- Terrible anyway. If there's one USB port or SD slot on this Wii then it can do it all in the hands of the right person. And am I crazy or do I see the good ol' white Wii for $99 all the time? GameStop is practically giving them away.

My two cents is that instead of trying to sell a milestone number of Wiis, try making the Wii U as affordable as possible. Instead of beating a dead horse, get up and ride your new one. Lipstick on a pig. Its still a pig.

One more failed console and we might be reading about what a great company they were.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone's complaining, Im just guessing but I bet that everyone that is complaining has had a Wii for 6 years. It isnt like they are collecting all the older models and destroying them. Someone said said it earlier, this design isnt for the serious gamer. And I didnt buy a Wii to play Gamecube, and Im sure my people didnt either. To this day I still tell people "you know you can play those GC games in your Wii right?" Netflix- Nobody watches SD Wii Netflix. Online play- Terrible anyway. If there's one USB port or SD slot on this Wii then it can do it all in the hands of the right person. And am I crazy or do I see the good ol' white Wii for $99 all the time? GameStop is practically giving them away.

My two cents is that instead of trying to sell a milestone number of Wiis, try making the Wii U as affordable as possible. Instead of beating a dead horse, get up and ride your new one. Lipstick on a pig. Its still a pig.

One more failed console and we might be reading about what a great company they were.

Um... people still do use their Wii consoles for Netflix. Actually Netflix on Wii was the fastest growing segment of viewers over the other two consoles. This Mini system is a total slap in the face. They should have kept WiFi, USB and SD. Its not that damn hard. I understand that this system is exclusive to Canada but if it catches on up there what makes anyone think that Nintendo won't just bring these suckers to other regions. The same thing happened with the sans-GameCube Wii consoles. They were announced for the PAL region first and then quickly thrusted into the US market. This is a bad move. Period.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...if you know what I mean :creep:
EXzQL.gif
I can watch this for hours

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is pretty much a letdown. Not that I really need another Wii (have a GC compatible white version), but it could be a cool pack if it supported HD loading. I could imagine taking one with me on my exchange year after next year just for that (and to actually play all the Wii games I'm waiting to play, but the PS3 takes my extra gaming time (if there ever is any)).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um... people still do use their Wii consoles for Netflix. Actually Netflix on Wii was the fastest growing segment of viewers over the other two consoles.

And those people still using Netflix have nothing to worry about because they aren't losing it.

This Mini system is a total slap in the face.

To who? Who is Nintendo offending with this? The dedicated gamers who already own fully functional Wiis? The casual players on the market for an extremely cheap game system?

They should have kept WiFi, USB and SF. Its not that damn hard.

Hard? No, but as we've established, they don't come free. When you're trying to minimize costs as much as possible, you've got to make cuts somewhere.

I understand that this system is exclusive to Canada but if it catches on up there what makes anyone think that Nintendo won't just bring these suckers to other regions. The same thing happened with the sans-GameCube Wii consoles. They were announced for the PAL region first and then quickly thrusted into the US market. This is a bad move. Period.

Oh God, the horror of cheap Wiis might spread! God knows that people can't just purchase older models online if they're that interested in these features!

I mean, you're seriously getting worked up over this, of all things? Creating a cheap alternative for consumers is now a grave, unforgivable offense? I think you need to get some perspective here.

theMa6ician

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um... people still do use their Wii consoles for Netflix. Actually Netflix on Wii was the fastest growing segment of viewers over the other two consoles. This Mini system is a total slap in the face. They should have kept WiFi, USB and SF. Its not that damn hard. I understand that this system is exclusive to Canada but if it catches on up there what makes anyone think that Nintendo won't just bring these suckers to other regions. The same thing happened with the sans-GameCube Wii consoles. They were announced for the PAL region first and then quickly thrusted into the US market. This is a bad move. Period.
Wiis also sold more than the competition, doesnt make the Wii better. And yeah its easy to watch your console's features become more popular in a shorter amount of time when youre the last company to implement "normal" features.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Cool. Not too keen on the removed features, but on a purely aesthetic standpoint, I love it. It looks a bit famicom-ish.
That's what I first thought of when I saw the color scheme. It took me a second look at another angle to see that it was a top-loader, just like the CD player on my boombox. However, the lack of WiFi means you won't have access to the Wii Shop channel, which means half of the console is already useless unless there is a modified system menu on it to remove any WiFi options and programs that use WiFi, and with no SD card, you can't transfer saves to a Wii U.

Wonder how hackers will work to hack this Wii. With the lack of SD or USB, it looks almost impossible to do.

Reactions: boombox

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
It looks as though it opens by pressing one of the buttons at the top and placing the disc in, like the Gamecube.
I'm really liking how retro it looks, reminds me of one of their previous generation consoles...the Nintendo Family computer, except black and red instead of white and red.
I won't be needing this, but if I didn't have a Wii I'd be very tempted >___<
I don't reckon it'll play Gamecube game either, there's no obvious signs there, it's just literally for people to play their Wii games.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I like the design but meh.

This will appeal to parents who are too scared to let children have internet enabled devices (I've dealt with one today for a kids toys who got the impression that kids are master hackers that they can bypass the parent locks!) or for those who are too stupid to by a much cheaper used Wii with all of the features.
I liked the way it looked as well until I glanced at this revealing angle:

http://i.imgur.com/XmhEf.jpg

Ugh, its like a beautiful woman that walks up to you then smiles to reveal a rotted out mouth.
In conclusion, the only redeeming quality about this lump of plastic, the looks, is not a redeeming quality. Total failure.

Reactions: LightyKD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: