Hardware Wii or Gamecube on Full HD TV

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You all do know that older gamecubes had component cable support right? Later GCs had it removed to save a couple bucks, but I'd go so far as to say the majority of the GCs in NA had/have the connector port for component.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I use my Wii on a 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma TV with a original Component Cable, and the graphics are awesome.
The difference between graphics using component and composite, are, basically, the colors and the fact that with composite you can use the progressive mode.
Gamecube games doesn't look so good on a big TV as mine, but they are playable since "GC" enters progressive mode with the component cable (playing GC games through Wii).

On a smaller screen (smaller than 42") you get the impression that the graphics gets better, because "the pixels are more grouped" (think as a 640x480 video. If you run it fullscreen on a 640x480 desktop resoltion, it looks great, but on a 1024x768 one it's still good, but not so great).

Go on and play you Wii on a Big TV, you will enjoy it (Dead Space: Extraction looks awesome!).

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
the reason why i dont want to sell my GC is because i just bought it... and its kinda part of my collection. =) i was able to buy a S-Video for GC... will that be good to a 24" LCD FULL HD TV?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you just bought a gc.......wahhhhhhh????
wtf.gif

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
^

yes there was this person who got a GameCube as a gift. and never played it since he tested it because he already got an Xbox then he decided to sell it after a couple of years. and i bought i its like a brand new gamecube no scratch no defects 100% complete with box manuals and inserts =)

WalterCool

Trophies
Website
www.slash.cl
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
IDK if i can help a lot with this "semi" long thread...

Im using a 22'' LCD TV, using RCA cable looks pixelated and with a lot of "slowdown" on games like rockband and other speed games.

Using a old TV (cathodic) doesnt looks pixelated.

Using Component cable on my LCD TV just... works, and some light effects looks really OSOM (i just can see this on certain games... Zelda, SMG and Rockband are ones as i know playing)

So... indeed, just buy a component cable if you wanna play on your new TV. I just see a bit plasma TV with Wii and just using RCA... please... dont use it, just the component
wink.gif

Toughschmidt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
You all do know that older gamecubes had component cable support right? Later GCs had it removed to save a couple bucks, but I'd go so far as to say the majority of the GCs in NA had/have the connector port for component.

When is the last time you looked at the price of the GC component cables? I loaned mine out, and was looking for a second, and they are not only hard to find, but extremely expensive since Nintendo stopped making them. I finally got mine back, so I stopped worrying about it. You are correct about the component cables working for a large number of GC's, but at that cost, you're already half way to another Wii.

Component cables really boost visualization and the progressive scan significantly reduces lag. I use my Wii to play a backup copy of Melee and use my GC at the same time to play the original when I have a lot of people over-- both on LCD monitors, both with Component cables in progressive scan mode (hold down B on the GC startup screen for the "Progressive Mode?" prompt.) Also, you must use Game mode when applicable, otherwise audio/video/controller input lag will be a problem. I noticed this with my 46" 120Hz Samsung.

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
^

so cables & TV's can cause lags? and yeah component cables are very expensive at Amazon or Ebay they cause around 40-60 US $

my brother only bought a S-AV Cable for gamecube at gamestop and im waiting for it to arrive since he had it door to door so i cant comment about GC S-AV Cable to a HD Tv as of now

omegasoul6

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
o2oxygen said:
^

so cables & TV's can cause lags? and yeah component cables are very expensive at Amazon or Ebay they cause around 40-60 US $

my brother only bought a S-AV Cable for gamecube at gamestop and im waiting for it to arrive since he had it door to door so i cant comment about GC S-AV Cable to a HD Tv as of now
Get a samsung lcd I got one and its amazing
tongue.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't notice a difference between HDMI and component on the wii. The wii will still display at 480p max (that adapter may "up convert"... but really all it's doing is stretching)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
o2oxygen said:
and not to huge TV.. around 24" will do?
i'm playing on a 60" plasma and it looks just fine to me. as for that product don't buy any of them so called hdmi converters their a waste of $ get component cable and that's all.

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
^

i already have a component cable... but how about my gamecube? i have a s-video for my gamecube since it dont have a component cable. will my gamecube look good on a 22-24" Full HD LCD?

D

Deleted User

o2oxygen said:
^

i already have a component cable... but how about my gamecube? i have a s-video for my gamecube since it dont have a component cable. will my gamecube look good on a 22-24" Full HD LCD?
No, You can ask a million times, S-video is not a big step up, Don't even bother with an HDTV for a GameCube if you're gonna use regular wires or S-vid, Most HDtvs now a days don't even have s-video.

terryforever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
got anyone here try for Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD (HDTV got TV tuner build in )

i wanted to buy for my Wii, PS2, xbox n netbook.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
o2oxygen said:
@DaFixer
VGA cable? wii doesnt have a VGA right? using the VGA from a computer is a different story because the video quality of the computer depends on the VideoCard.. (pls correct me if im wrong)
VGA is just an output standard. the wii doesn't have vga out but you can buy an adapter that will output the Wii's display to vga, the same way you can do that for component cables. And from what I've seen, component does look very good on HDTVs for Wii, and if your tv has VGA input (a lot of screens do nowadays) that looks good too, I have never used a Wii but I have my 360 hooked up through VGA and it looks much better than when I used the original cables (I'm pretty sure it's component? havent used in like a year).

Honestly, from my experience if you get a 19-24 inch HDTV it's going to look great anyways. The only time I've noticed poor image quality for any game system is with large HDTV's. 1080 is a standard resolution on any tv, so even if you have a 360/ps3 outputting in that high res it's not going to look as good on a 50 inch screen as it would a 20 inch.

BTW at ^^^^ post by terryforever what model of netbook do you have? If you have a newer model with some form of nVidia ION graphics it should be fine, but if you have an intel graphics chip I would advise against outputting to a 1080 resolution. I have used my netbook (it has 945G graphics) to output at higher resolutions, and while the chip can handle it it does hinder performance somewhat. Anything below 1600x1080 has been fine for me, but one you hit that resolution you will probably notice some choppy video, so unless you have a higher performance graphics netbook I'd advise against it. I've also heard that the performance can still stutter if you have the first gen Atoms like the N270 because of bottlenecking even with ION, but idk about that as I dont have an ION netbook lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow