Wii Shop revival service "RiiShop" enters public beta

Many people remember the Wii days fondly with its gimmick controls, memorable in-app music and homebrew friendly system. Ever since the discontinuation of the Wii Shop service back in January 30th, 2019, users could no longer purchase new titles through it, and were only left with the option to redownload already purchased titles.

Since then, a few homebrew developers have worked on a revival service, formerly known as "LaunchShop" to recreate the Wii Shop servers back when they were fully accessible. As of January 8th, 2024, this revival service has been rebranded into "RiiShop", and is now publicly available for Wii users in a WAD format.

The current open beta can be installed in homebrewed Wii systems as a WAD, and users can enter the Wii Shop menu and browse Virtual Console and WiiWare games, as well as Wii channels that were originally available, complete with what seems to be dummy Wii Points to redeem, but with nothing to do with them at the moment due to downloads not working on the current build yet. It's worth nothing that this will apparently work like a free Shop to download titles from, with no currency being involved.

As with any product in beta, expect some issues to pop up, and bare in mind that the public beta might not have download working, since many people online are reporting downloads not being possible as of yet.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As in selling pirated games, I'm pretty sure they're doing the exact opposite. By letting users download WiiWare and VC software for free, which is piracy.

It's so unintuitive.
They're going to allow free downloads, but "charging for other games" is the illegal part?
The mental gymnastics here just are all over the place.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
NukeOne333
monsters-inc-youre-making-it-worse.gif

"Tarado, nos van a vetar."

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Free my boy Freeshop!, free my boy CIAngel!

Shit was legendary,

newer shop whatever the heck is called is ass, been forced to download cias manually and move em over install via fbi. sad

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So GBAtemp purposely promoted piracy on their site? :rofl2:
And I'm sure that's one way to get Nintendo Ninja'd.
There is a difference between promoting piracy and reporting the news

It's not like people reporting on wars are pro war

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey in the end up of the day, if you could download anything from here for free I say good, no need for a website when this exists. Most importantly if every game is on here, that means if there is any missing Wiiware games that are hard to find, this might be the best way to get them.

Reactions: cloud-strife777

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kontrolfreek.com/products/south-park-kenny-edition-thumbsticks?utm_source=facebook&ut...