Wii Shop revival service "RiiShop" enters public beta

Many people remember the Wii days fondly with its gimmick controls, memorable in-app music and homebrew friendly system. Ever since the discontinuation of the Wii Shop service back in January 30th, 2019, users could no longer purchase new titles through it, and were only left with the option to redownload already purchased titles.

Since then, a few homebrew developers have worked on a revival service, formerly known as "LaunchShop" to recreate the Wii Shop servers back when they were fully accessible. As of January 8th, 2024, this revival service has been rebranded into "RiiShop", and is now publicly available for Wii users in a WAD format.

The current open beta can be installed in homebrewed Wii systems as a WAD, and users can enter the Wii Shop menu and browse Virtual Console and WiiWare games, as well as Wii channels that were originally available, complete with what seems to be dummy Wii Points to redeem, but with nothing to do with them at the moment due to downloads not working on the current build yet. It's worth nothing that this will apparently work like a free Shop to download titles from, with no currency being involved.

As with any product in beta, expect some issues to pop up, and bare in mind that the public beta might not have download working, since many people online are reporting downloads not being possible as of yet.

Niels Van Son

Unspecified Life Form
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's funny, because so much of this all comes off as petty high school drama regardless of the context. Being a decent human being that doesn't immediately and emotionally react to everything would solve literally all issues related to the project

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Larsen is the definition of cringe.
huh...you're not wrong.

1705782810295.png

Post automatically merged:

Well, that was quick. Can we take this off the front page now?

1705786179346.png

Last edited by MaxiBash,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man and I was excited. Back to myrient
If only they had better staff (or something idk i need a tl;dr on the situation)
Excited about this whole thing? Do you know how to search for ROMs?

Like I said previously, this whole project was such a bad idea in the first place and everybody knows that.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands

Like I said previously, this whole project was such a bad idea in the first place and everybody knows that.
it was an interesting attempt at using Nintendo's official assets to recreate a Wii Shop experience, but without spending. other than that, nothing is really lost.

a_username_that_isnt_cool

Well-Hated Member (Also)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I do, as I said Myrient (and MarioCube), however this would make the experience more immersive and I wouldn't have to copy files from my PC to my SD card over and over again.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it was an interesting attempt at using Nintendo's official assets to recreate a Wii Shop experience, but without spending. other than that, nothing is really lost.
Aside from the backlash going against the RiiShop team, it was an interesting attempt at re-creating the Wii Shop to a functional state.

lol its dead before it even started... one shows people info and another uses donation money to buy stuff, what a team xD
Just clearly shows how unorganized this whole thing really was.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
people just find the wads you want with a simple google search... this isnt needed at all, most people must already have everything they need on their wii anyway after all this time...
i couldnt agree more. though it would be nice to have wiishop access like a museum, without actual downloads.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i couldnt agree more. though it would be nice to have wiishop access like a museum, without actual downloads.
Only if their internet connection can support it.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...