Country
United States

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might not be easier, but I'm sure it will be done. I think there's gonna be a lot more attention on this than the 3ds.
Plus it might be easier to make a hard mod for the Wii U than something as tiny as the 3DS, if it comes to that.

Might not be easier, but I'm sure it will be done. I think there's gonna be a lot more attention on this than the 3ds.
Plus it might be easier to make a hard mod for the Wii U than something as tiny as the 3DS, if it comes to that.

very true!

Reactions: 1 person

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not the same charger as the 3ds. Looks like it has: A DVI (or VGA) port, a mini-usb port and a gamecube memory card slot. Oh and a port for a sensor bar cable.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk. They said gamecube games would be sold as VC and that looks short of looks like the is gb-mic plugged. I guess it could be a new port for plugging in a classic controller.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
makes sense. they all other console games as VC up to n64.
Yeah, I just wish Nintendo would keep Gamecube backwards compatibility since, oh you know, IT USES THE SAME DISC-BASED MEDIA AS THE WII AND WII-U!!! Instead, they'd rather save themselves a small amount of money on the Gamecube controller ports and other hardware, and then rip us off with VC repurchases. Grr... I for one will simply stick with my Wii and GCN for playing ACTUAL Gamecube discs, thank you very much.
[/rant]

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just wish Nintendo would keep Gamecube backwards compatibility since, oh you know, IT USES THE SAME DISC-BASED MEDIA AS THE WII AND WII-U!!! Instead, they'd rather save themselves a small amount of money on the Gamecube controller ports and other hardware, and then rip us off with VC repurchases. Grr... I for one will simply stick with my Wii and GCN for playing ACTUAL Gamecube discs, thank you very much.
[/rant]

[/rant]

Of course they'd rather save money on hardware costs, and make more money selling it on VC at the same time. Nitty don't make any money when someone re-sells their used GC games on ebay xD

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Of course they'd rather save money on hardware costs, and make more money selling it on VC at the same time. Nitty don't make any money when someone re-sells their used GC games on ebay xD
I just hate the planned obsolescence behind it all. What's the point of using the same disc-based media if it's not going to be all backward compatible? The whole idea I envisioned was that discs would allow for streamlining to all one console. And yet Nintendo (and Sony) both let us down in interest of a tiny bit of extra profit. Gamecube, Wii, and Wii-U (and PS1, 2, and 2) all used discs, and yet Nintendo and Sony arbitrarily removed compatibility for older systems. It's ridiculous. They already made their money off the games on the old systems, so it shouldn't matter to them whether they're not making extra money off ebay purchases.

But this is off topic, so I'm gonna stop here.

Reactions: 2 people

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I just hate the planned obsolescence behind it all. What's the point of using the same disc-based media if it's not going to be all backward compatible? The whole idea I envisioned was that discs would allow for streamlining to all one console. And yet Nintendo (and Sony) both let us down in interest of a tiny bit of extra profit. Gamecube, Wii, and Wii-U (and PS1, 2, and 2) all used discs, and yet Nintendo and Sony arbitrarily removed compatibility for older systems. It's ridiculous. They already made their money off the games on the old systems, so it shouldn't matter to them whether they're not making extra money off ebay purchases.

You don't really get what it takes to make a console backwards compatible, do you? Every time a new console comes out that comes with massively different hardware. Different CPUs with different commands that need to be put through them (opcodes). This means all the code is compiled differently, it manages the RAM differently etc. To make a console backwards compatible you basically have to build the old hardware into the new one with a switcher to change between these sets when needed. This is fine if you're going 1 console back but if you go more than one you're needing to include much more hardware. Sony actually have gotten around this to a degree by coding an emulator and allowing us to use our old PS1 discs in the PS3. The PS2 side is a bit different, but I don't really know much about it, I think the ones available on PSN are actually ports to the PS3s hardware since the actual hardware backwards compatibility was removed for cost reasons early on.
This is a LOT to think about when you're designing a console. Adding more than one console backwards compatibility would make the design of the console cost more as well as production. Almost all Nintendo consoles have only gone back 1 generation, if that. The GBA only went back to GB/GBC (they were basically the same hardware) and the DS only went back to GBA (not including the GBC hardware)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk. They said gamecube games would be sold as VC
Who's "they"? Rumors, or official news?

Rumor from Go-Nintendo.

Actually your half wrong on the disc. Gamecube games are mini DVDs while the Wii are full size DVDs. The Wii-U are Bluray.

For all intended purposes the Wii's CPU is an upgraded GameCube one. This is why dolphin can run both gamecube and Wii games easily. So if you can program a Wii emulator, you can or should be able to program a gamecube one. The only reason Nintendo won't for the gamecube games is because they won't make money from used gamecube sales. It makes cents from a business stand point to not support the gamecube disc and to sale them in virtual form.

D

Deleted_171835

OP

Just because they all use discs (different types too, MiniDisc, DVD, Bluray) doesn't mean backwards compatibility is easy. To play a game from an older console without emulation, you'll have to include some of the older hardware in the system which can be quite costly.

The Virtual Console is only done when the console is powerful enough to emulate it (there can still be bugs) and even then they'll still charge you. You can't expect them to give away games they still own and can make a profit from for free.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony actually have gotten around this to a degree by coding an emulator and allowing us to use our old PS1 discs in the PS3.
Interesting. I did not know that. But that said, why can't Nintendo do a similar workaround?

Actually your half wrong on the disc. Gamecube games are mini DVDs while the Wii are full size DVDs. The Wii-U are Bluray.
Half wrong about what? All I said is that they all use disc-based media, which is completely true.

Just because they all use discs (different types too, MiniDisc, DVD, Bluray) doesn't mean backwards compatibility is easy. To play a game from an older console without emulation, you'll have to include some of the older hardware in the system which can be quite costly.

The Virtual Console is only done when the console is powerful enough to emulate it (there can still be bugs) and even then they'll still charge you. You can't expect them to give away games they still own and can make a profit from for free.
I suppose, but it's still completely irritating, especially for people who already own the game. And to me, the fact that they're selling emulated versions of games on the virtual console PROVES they can work around to use an emulator for actual discs, like Sony does. Granted, no telling whether the Wii U is powerful enough to emulate GCN. Only time can tell that. And if it is, I'm hoping for an exploit and a good port of dolphin emulator.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

But then again, since the Wii U is compatible with Wii games it should in theory be able to run Gamecube games too thanks to the similar hardware between those generations.
We've heard rumors and hints for Wii U GC VC and if it's semi emulated like DS games on a 3DS it should be compatible with other hardware such as the Wii U controller.
Nintendo know thier systems in and out, a GC emulator wouldn't actually be that farfetched seeing how they got some problematic N64 games (for a normal PC emulator) up and running on the Wii in 60fps.

Reactions: 3 people

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony actually have gotten around this to a degree by coding an emulator and allowing us to use our old PS1 discs in the PS3.
Interesting. I did not know that. But that said, why can't Nintendo do a similar workaround?
Emulators on a scale like this are harder to maintain. Also money.
I've actually mentioned that I've done this on my brother's PS3 to friends and they have been confused. Its not a feature Sony likes to advertise and there are some issues such as the EU version of FFVIII does not work due to extra copy protection that was only included on the EU copy. The older a console is the simpler it is to emulate. the PS3 does not emulate a PS2 because it isn't powerful enough. As a result it can't run PS2 discs, instead only running ported versions from the PSN store. I imagine this is the tack Nintendo will take with the Gamecube as the WiiU is only going to be slightly higher power than the PS3/360 hardware (at least that's the rumours floating around).

Dolphin is probably the most developed emulator for the Xbox/GC/PS2 era of gaming and it still takes a good bit of power to run well. PSX2 takes a lot of power as well. I see an emulator like these on the WiiU to be unlikely but you never know.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Emulators on a scale like this are harder to maintain. Also money.
I've actually mentioned that I've done this on my brother's PS3 to friends and they have been confused. Its not a feature Sony likes to advertise and there are some issues such as the EU version of FFVIII does not work due to extra copy protection that was only included on the EU copy. The older a console is the simpler it is to emulate. the PS3 does not emulate a PS2 because it isn't powerful enough. As a result it can't run PS2 discs, instead only running ported versions from the PSN store. I imagine this is the tack Nintendo will take with the Gamecube as the WiiU is only going to be slightly higher power than the PS3/360 hardware (at least that's the rumours floating around).

Dolphin is probably the most developed emulator for the Xbox/GC/PS2 era of gaming and it still takes a good bit of power to run well. PSX2 takes a lot of power as well. I see an emulator like these on the WiiU to be unlikely but you never know.

As I said before the Wii U could make Gamecube run through semi emulation, having both the Wii hardware and extra processing power do the task, another thing is that devs usually have all the assets for their gamecube games and could possibly also make quick dirty ports for the system a little like the New Play Control games on Wii.

Also those Wii U underpowered rumors are like 2 months old where have you been? Everything recently spoken about the system shows otherwise points at competitive hardware right now.
Nintendo's comments on abandoning the casual market and how their aiming higher this time, saying that casuals simply aren't a reliable source for financial income, trustworthy developers praising it saying it's next gen worthy, comments from Nintendo saying it's future proof and supports things like 3D TV's etc.
Same thing goes for insider rumors saying Nintendo has been optimizing it for future engines like UE4.

Heck they recently confirmed that they will have a developer discussion with Wii U hardware producer Katsuya Eguchi giving us all sorts of details after their E3 presentation, plus they will have two round tables, one for first party games and one for third party ones because the hour long presentation won't be enough. When was last time that happened for Nintendo?

It may not be exactly on the spot on par with the other next gen consoles but it won't be any different from how the Playstation 2 was in comparison to it's competitors last gen.
Less favorable graphics on paper but not really something you would notice unless you compare them side by side.

And it's not like Sony and Microsoft consoles will be groundbreaking either, they will be ~$350 machines, of course they will be sub PC. I don't see how people expect them to be as big of a jump as last gen...

Reactions: 2 people

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks too much like a tablet, too much like a murder weapon, than a controller.
It better have some kinda grip on the other side and even then,
Its not something that you can hold for a long period of time while pressing buttons.
Why so abstract nintendo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm starting to sound like a Tck Gonna cut myself off.