• Replies 242
  • Likes 3

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well i was on the wii u page a while back, & well i found this.
open source software for wii u it says? :ph34r:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/support/oss/index.html
That is just software that is already open source that nintendo used in the wii u (it looks like it is for the web browser). Nintendo is required by the license of that software to distribute the source code for it. This is not the source code for the entire Wii u, just the source code for whatever open source software they used in it (in this case, the browser). So, in short, this is useless.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
That is just software that is already open source that nintendo used in the wii u (it looks like it is for the web browser). Nintendo is required by the license of that software to distribute the source code for it. This is not the source code for the entire Wii u, just the source code for whatever open source software they used in it (in this case, the browser). So, in short, this is useless.
hmm I wouldn't say totally useless, I downloaded it & I'm looking through it, it seems to have lots of commands for both gamepad, wiimote & wii uhardware.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hmm I wouldn't say totally useless, I downloaded it & I'm looking through it, it seems to have lots of commands for both gamepad, wiimote & wii uhardware.
No, it's totally useless. You can't compile it and replace the built in software with your own version, and the browser will be heavily sandboxed, so it's unlikely that exploiting any bugs there would even be particularly useful, so looking for bugs in the code isn't much good either.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except always it's not possible to transfer licenses automatically IIRC. Second hand trading is just as bad or even worse for the devs since they actually do lose a real sale there. Stores like Gamestop take the profit (with quite a big margin).
In what sense? If you mean in the theoretical sense of "in the realm of fantasy, if Person #1 buys a game from Person #2 via any form of a second-hand sale, he's not buying a brand-new copy, thus the developer doesn't get a cut" then yes, that is correct.

Practically though, the game is transferred from one person to another - the factual amount of all users of a given piece of software does not change - there is no new "sale" taking place here, merely a change in ownership, so a "cut" for the developers would be unjustified. As much as some publishers don't like to see it that way, we live in a wonderful world where we can trade our possessions and if Person #1 doesn't feel like using a given item, he or she can sell it to whoever he or she wants without repercussions. The publishers already often take an extra buck for a Network Pass if the game has an online mode based on those, which by the way is entirely unjustified in my opinion, simply because the "online" portion of a given game is just as much an integral part of it as any other, so going any further from here is ridiculous.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In what sense? If you mean in the theoretical sense of "in the realm of fantasy, if Person #1 buys a game from Person #2 via any form of a second-hand sale, he's not buying a brand-new copy, thus the developer doesn't get a cut" then yes, that is correct.

Practically though, the game is transferred from one person to another - the factual amount of all users of a given piece of software does not change - there is no new "sale" taking place here, merely a change in ownership, so a "cut" for the developers would be unjustified. As much as some publishers don't like to see it that way, we live in a wonderful world where we can trade our possessions and if Person #1 doesn't feel like using a given item, he or she can sell it to whoever he or she wants without repercussions. The publishers already often take an extra buck for a Network Pass if the game has an online mode based on those, which by the way is entirely unjustified in my opinion, simply because the "online" portion of a given game is just as much an integral part of it as any other, so going any further from here is ridiculous.

Assuming devs/publishers pay on a bandwidth/processing required model and the average player is assumed (via previous example- if nothing else server lifetimes would probably bear that out) to have say 300 hours of playtime before giving up and then effects a transfer it could trouble sums based upon that. Of course given that online communities (albeit ones with nominal long term communication options such as those seen by the average game) are carefully cultivated and active users of various stripes are almost always a positive.

That is just me being a bastard though and your logic mirrors my own and I would probably say "them's the breaks" to anybody costing things like that.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a did a look for the file and couldn't find it either. But then again it wouldn't be the first time I ran into this problem , by that I mean , I seen the .nfo but took me a couple days to find the file for it.
I say wait till after tomorrow , when the world ends the file will be up :teach:

Look's like it must be fake or just not release to the public (Zombie U rip by Vimto).

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's been such an ass lately to the temp, I decided to save the wii-u article about altering hbc as a text file on my pc. Never know if he decides to "fnck it" and deletes everything from public view.

Where'd the link come from? I can't find it directly from the site. weird.
Front page, click blog. The link is under read more under the post on the right.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats going on?

Rather than make a proper program platform for Wii-U homebrew, marcan has posted the information to activate the wii-u's ram and such in vwii mode threw altering the HBC.

However it is all in tech talk. He hasn't provided any programs. I'm not a programmer. If someone or group made the necessary changes to the HBC, I'd reconsider buying a Wii-u. I'm all for better homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER