Homebrew Wii U often crashing?

KyoIsHacking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So my WiiU often freezes in apps like settings, activity log, Mii maker, in the login screen and probably many system related things (sometimes even on boot). It can happen in games too but it doesn't happen very often. But the other freezes are like at least once when the WiiU is running (unless I only play games that don't crash). So I have a few questions.

1. Does this happen with every (hacked) Wii U or is mine faulty?
2. Do you think that cfw and homebrew lead to those freezes?
3. Do you have any advice how to make the WiiU less likely to crash? Maybe there are corrupted files in the system memory that can be fixed or something?

Also this might not completely fit here but I think if the problems aren't hardware-wise there might be a way to solve the problem with homebrew. Who knows.

I'm looking forward to any answers and I appreciate every try to help me. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: I just saw this thread surpassed 1000 views so I thought I'd quote my last post here as I basically said everything important there:

Update: hadn't had any non-Homebrew crashes since my last edit. Only thing I did was to delete unused Homebrew Stuff and move some files from the sd card root. I didn't think that would have an influence but it seems it did. Also it seems that 170-0001 describes crashes via homebrew software. For example I know how to crash the homebrew launcher but already reported it so hopefully this will get fixed.

Btw, Daily Log still crashes, especially when moving through days fast. Idk if that's an issue with the hacked Wii U, so I would like to know if the same thing is happening for other people with hacked Wii Us.
also I just tried amiibo settings and it still crashes. this wii u is weird.

Last edited by KyoIsHacking,

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
More info about what hack your using would be a good start, and also a few questions.

What is your WiiU console region?
What firmware are you on?
What CFW are you using? Haxchi? Coldboot Haxchi?

Worst case scenario is do a full system factory reset and setup everything again, random system freezes will be hard to troubleshoot since you don't know what is causing it. Start fresh with factory reset, since we don't know your current hack, re install Haxchi and take it from there.
I have not done a factory reset before so I'm not sure what is actually getting reset, is it everything or certain things, good luck.

pitterpatter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I mean I should look if I have problems with completely stock firmware, right? (If nothing else helps..)
Edit: Oh and thank you

also, giving us a useful timetable as to when you started having these problems would be helpful too. in other words, how long has this been going on? what was the last thing you installed on your Wii U? etc.

KyoIsHacking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
More info about what hack your using would be a good start, and also a few questions.

What is your WiiU console region?
What firmware are you on?
What CFW are you using? Haxchi? Coldboot Haxchi?

Worst case scenario is do a full system factory reset and setup everything again, random system freezes will be hard to troubleshoot since you don't know what is causing it. Start fresh with factory reset, since we don't know your current hack, re install Haxchi and take it from there.
I have not done a factory reset before so I'm not sure what is actually getting reset, is it everything or certain things, good luck.

My region is EUR.
I'm on the latest firmware 5.5.3 E (2.5.5 or something like that? In the settings it says 99.99.99 since it's hacked)
I'm using CBHC
Also, I hacked my Wii U according to wiiu.guide iirc.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As @pitterpatter said, a timeline would be good as to when all this started happening.

Since your running coldboot haxchi, make sure you completely uninstall it first before you perform a factory reset if you decide to go down this road.

I'm assuming you have your games installed on an ext usb hdd? if so, maybe try disconnecting this drive and just navigate around your system to see if it crashes?
Please note, if you have nicely sorted your games in folders, etc.. on the WiiU menu, when you disconnect your hdd and connect it back again, all your sorting will be gone and you have to do it all again. Not an issue if you have a few games but for those that have heaps of games, this can get annoying.

Reactions: KyoIsHacking

KyoIsHacking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
also, giving us a useful timetable as to when you started having these problems would be helpful too. in other words, how long has this been going on? what was the last thing you installed on your Wii U? etc.

It's actually been going on for a long time I guess... But the freezes weren't that frequent at the beginning.. I think I'll have to look up when I hacked my WiiU but I think it was 2015 or 16. I sometimes had crashes before but rather in the YouTube app or internet browser. But those crashes were patched afaik, at least they didn't really happen except YT and Internet browser (when watching streams or videos) anyways then there was a time when I wouldn't use the WiiU at any time but I remember once going to my activity log out of curiosity and then it crashed.. I think that was last year. Oh I think I also hacked the vwii around 2015/16(I will try to find out when it was as exact as possible). But in the summer holidays of 2018 I remember tinkering with the vwii again. I installed some homebrew apps, USB GX Loader, hbl2hbc also some patched Wii wads (they were patched to work with vwii ios and do work fine) umm also I downloaded swap drc lite and started using it very much (don't have a screen right now).

Btw I have some things backed up already, I think I got a nand backup and some other files, also did a backup of my game saves.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As @pitterpatter said, a timeline would be good as to when all this started happening.

Since your running coldboot haxchi, make sure you completely uninstall it first before you perform a factory reset if you decide to go down this road.

I'm assuming you have your games installed on an ext usb hdd? if so, maybe try disconnecting this drive and just navigate around your system to see if it crashes?
Please note, if you have nicely sorted your games in folders, etc.. on the WiiU menu, when you disconnect your hdd and connect it back again, all your sorting will be gone and you have to do it all again. Not an issue if you have a few games but for those that have heaps of games, this can get annoying.
I don't have any games on an USB hard drive, I only have some on the system memory and some discs, not very much. I guess I could also try it without the SD card though?

Edit: discs, not disks.

Edit 2: I did some tests now and while a crash in the settings app didn't come up again with/without the SD card in, the "Daily log" always crashes. Maybe due to the homebrew apps on the list which it can't handle correctly for some reason?

Edit 3: found interesting settings options in Settings > Console information > Check service information.
One shows that my system version actually is 5.5.3, the other one shows some errors that happened recently, 7/10 happened today. Also they all got the Error code 170-000, I'm gonna google that one. Also I tried playing around in the settings and didn't trigger any new freezes. So basically there was boot(=it crashed before showing the "Autobooting CBHC..." Text), amiibo and Daily Log which crashed today as far as I can remember. (The amiibo thing triggered the thought that I have to ask this here because I just wanted to register a Mii onto my amiibo so i could transfer it over to the switch but it just crashed and things like that are really annoying. Like I do these things once in some years.)

KyoIsHacking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Update: hadn't had any non-Homebrew crashes since my last edit. Only thing I did was to delete unused Homebrew Stuff and move some files from the sd card root. I didn't think that would have an influence but it seems it did. Also it seems that 170-0001 describes crashes via homebrew software. For example I know how to crash the homebrew launcher but already reported it so hopefully this will get fixed.

Btw, Daily Log still crashes, especially when moving through days fast. Idk if that's an issue with the hacked Wii U, so I would like to know if the same thing is happening for other people with hacked Wii Us. Edit: No it's not a hacking problem, my Wii U is just weird.

KyoIsHacking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I wanna give an update now. I formatted my Wii U and even tried to update it as well but sadly things are still crashing. So I decided to just try to avoid those titles that crash it 100% as crashes still seem rather rare in game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Stepcroc, I'm stuck.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Those are monitor lizards you dunce.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm funny. lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs and roasted potatoes came out good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the first omen and so far it's not the priest doing the scaring
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Shouldn't the kid be the scary one?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The second omen: the chior boy gets his revenge
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reverse exorcist: it's when you hire a demon to remove the priest out of a small child.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hire Kendrick Drake possessed a minor again
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, I'd run away from his singing too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wonder if Drakes still allowed to use his Instagram
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like everyone has some great imaginary friends
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Yeah, that was insane.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Don't know what Drake was even thinking.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What every rich scumbag thinks that they can put their dick on anything and get away with it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I better hide my silicone Tifa doll
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What did Drake do, exactly? I don't follow celeb gossip.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Supposed accusations that Drake groomed a minor.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Allegedly groomed a 17 year old Instagram model or something along those lines
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yep, something like that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MJtV0UPI8