Wii U storage Also others Wii,Game Cube ?

Welshgamer101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I know the WiiU has maximum 2TB storage for external HD, But I got a spare 6TB external drive , where the delivery messed up and sent me 2 and only got charged for 1 - BONUS !! ;)
Anyway originally I was thinking Wii,Ps2,Ps3 - But I know the wii formats drive to custom sectors.. So no mixed systems (is that right ?)
Soooo I was thinking as it modded the WiiU can I format it with that and then use 2TB for the U, 2 TB for the Wii and 2TB for Gamecube and run with Nintendont.. Now I found some threads on this - but they old of gives a answer that I still unsure if this poss ??
If someone can give me a clear answer or guide me towards maybe something that could work.. Many thanks !

Reactions: Alexander1970

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not possible. you may be able to force it to format 2TBs, but then the hdd will be read as 2TBs period. I think the amount of space is read from sector 0 of media as I've managed to change it with a flash drive. that doesn't make there be more or less space, but the system will think it's that size. anyway, the whole thing will be formatted.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

If someone can give me a clear answer or guide me towards maybe something that could work.. Many thanks !

Actual,I live under a Stone in Rock Bottpm,but actual for today:
NO,it is not possible to use different File Formats on one HDD for the Wii U.
The Wii U has his own not compatible to FAT32 / NTFS / WBFS Format for the Wii and (FAT32) GameCube Games.

Except,one of our very active Wii U miracle Developer and Worker @GaryOderNichts knows more.:)

Reactions: godreborn

MaGosT

Trophies
XP
Country
Back in the day it was possible to format a partition in fat32 for homebrew and have a 2nd partition in wbfs(or something like that for Wii) on the same disk. Worked fine without issues.

Not sure how it works nowadays though.. sorry.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally, I'd use the hdd for the series s/x, or ps4/5. those games are far bigger than wii, gamecube, or even wiiu games, and it all three will be able to forma ta drive that large.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The WiiU uses its own Fileformat wbfs based on fat32. Its encrypted and dont allows partitions for anti-piracy reasons. Fat32 uses a 32 bit adress-space, so the max space that can be allocated is 2TB. Because the Wiiu reserves the hole HDD only WiiU specific title can be stored on it. It has a limit of 300 installed titles.
EDIT: There is also the possibility to inject GC and Wii games, so they are stored there and can be played with the gamepad (Wii games if they support classic controller), too.

For vWii and Nintendont another HDD is need with fat32 wich is most supported by homebrew (ntfs and wbfs (outdated) are available, but gives bad compatibility and runs mostly in issus). There can be created partitions up to 2TB each (fat32). But we recommend one Partition for both for best compatibilty.
Btw, 1 TB for each console-system is more then enough.

Last edited by Sypherone,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Still, in case you want to play the GCN and Wii games on your Wii U and nowhere else, you're able to install everything on the Wii U formatted disc and 2 TB will be more than enough storage space.

Welshgamer101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks to you all

V10lator

Sypherone

godreborn

MaGosT

Alexander1970

Great explained answers, that have given me a clear picture of exactly what's what !! I'll get a 2TB just to get the WiiU sorted and as Godreborn said " I'll use this drive for my larger PS4 collection.."
Thanks Peeps, great community!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: New ringworm std going round in the USA, is psi patient 0, news at 11. +1