Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume these tickets r based off of 00050000 followed by the title id?
No, the tik file names are not by titleID, and they could hold tickets for more than one title. That's the thing that makes it a little complicated. When you run tik2sd or look at your system under /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps, you'll see that the tickets are divided into bucket folders 0-F, with tik files that look like they might go from 0-1F. (Since a ticket file will only exist on a system if there's a ticket in it, it's hard to know what the bounds are.)

A given title's ticket seems to end up in the same bucket/file each time, but we don't know how the WiiU determines which bucket it goes in.

Although we don't know the algorithm, tik2sd generates a keys.txt file which shows, for each installed ticket, the titleID, title key, which tik file the ticket is part of, and at what offset.

So, assuming you ran tik2sd under redNAND and renamed sd:/tik2sd to sd:/tik2sd_redNAND afterward, if your sd:/tik2sd_redNAND/keys.txt file shows
Code:
0005000010193400 01234567890123450123456789012345 (000f/00000010.tik@0x0)
0005000e1010ec00 01234567890123450123456789012345 (000f/00000010.tik@0x350)
then you know that Legend of Kay's ticket starts at offset 0x0 in /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps/000f/00000010.tik, and the ticket for the update of Mario Kart 8 is right after that (in the same file) at offset 0x350.

If you look at the same path on your sysNAND and you don't see a 00000010.tik file there, you could simply copy the file from /sd/tik2sd_redNAND/000f/00000010.tik to /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps/000f/00000010.tik. But if that file already exists on sysNAND, you'll have to copy both versions of the file to your PC, combine them (in binary mode), eliminate any duplicate tickets (you probably want to keep the sysNAND ticket), and copy the new file back to sysNAND.

If all that sounds like a hassle or risk, and for most people it would be, just reinstall the games. Yes, I'd still use Wupinstaller y mod for that.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a lot of games digitally for the wii u, so I've invested quite a bit. funny thing is that I only play a handful of those games, and I play a lot of wii games. I actually bought a toggle switch for my wii u drive in order to turn the drive off when I'm using nintendont since it can't work with more than one drive plugged in. plus, I want to be safe about it, so I use redNAND. it works flawlessly...well, there r times when it takes a while to load back up, but that's usually after using system config tool, and it might be due to the number of games installed. I have around 250 games installed actually, so I try to sort them between sysNAND and redNAND. ur method does seem complicated especially with that many games. reinstalling seems better. I placed all of my games into a folder named "done" since I was finished installing them. I could just use that. I haven't tested mocha or frapuccino cfw yet. I might add those to haxchi.

Last edited by godreborn,
Reactions: nexusmtz

Shmario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
yes its a pal console
i tried updating with wup installer first but that gave the error already.

I got it working now by unplugging USB, installin it to the Internal, pluggings usb back in, moving it from internal to usb.
It works now - I don't know how it will behave when theres a new update though

Good

But u shouldn't update via Wup installer,since u can update without it with no problems

CosmoCortney

Lawn Meower
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
CFW only: You can install games which don't exit in disc format (ex: only present on eShop, no disc version available) only on a firmware with signature patch.
I tried to install such games from my other Wii U on the one with cfw. It has sigpatches (successfully installed an out-of-region disc, for instance) but WUP installer Mod Y always gives me an error: "install error code 0xFFFBF441. Possible incorrect console for DLC title.tik file. So can't I use it on my other console?
Acquired the tickets with tik2sd and it should be correct

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...has sigpatches but WUP installer Mod Y always gives me an error: "install error code 0xFFFBF441. Possible incorrect console for DLC title.tik file. So can't I use it on my other console?
Acquired the tickets with tik2sd and it should be correct
A signature patch doesn't help in the case of copying a ticket from one console to another because the signature is still correct, but the console ID is wrong. A signature patch handles the opposite situation: where the console ID at 0x1D8-0x1DB has been changed (usually to 00 00 00 00), which invalidates the ticket's signature.

You could either hex edit your tickets to change the console ID, or generate a fake ticket using a program like funkiiu.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's currently what's happening
SD Card is a FAT32 device :lol:

No, there's currently no way to install from USB.
it could be done, but nobody coded it yet.
I don't know if it would work with 2 USB connected at the same time, so it could be limited to install from USB to internal.

sascha024

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
that's currently what's happening
SD Card is a FAT32 device :lol:

No, there's currently no way to install from USB.
it could be done, but nobody coded it yet.
I don't know if it would work with 2 USB connected at the same time, so it could be limited to install from USB to internal.

thanks that was what i mean perhaps somebody make code for this

because two (wiiu drive & fat32) pen drives works (wudump)

CosmoCortney

Lawn Meower
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
A signature patch doesn't help in the case of copying a ticket from one console to another because the signature is still correct, but the console ID is wrong. A signature patch handles the opposite situation: where the console ID at 0x1D8-0x1DB has been changed (usually to 00 00 00 00), which invalidates the ticket's signature.

You could either hex edit your tickets to change the console ID, or generate a fake ticket using a program like funkiiu.
Thanks, it worked with some titles. Changed the console ID to 00000000 and I could install the half of the titles :)
Do you know why it probably didn't work with the other ones?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And is there a way to install titles with the same title ID like the disc version of Minecraft with the Super Mario Mash-Up and the original eShop version?
I'd like to have both installed for cheat code creation and no need to take the disc with me when I go back to college after holidays, if you're asking.
I have tried changing the title ID in the .tik and .tmd (or cert, don't remember) which didnt work

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, it worked with some titles. ... Do you know why it probably didn't work with the other ones?
You'll need to be more specific about what did/didn't work, and how you installed the tickets. For example, were the non-working tickets 848 bytes, or 696? Did you include the ticket with the install files, or did you copy the ticket to the rights/title/apps... path first?
And is there a way to install titles with the same title ID like the disc version of Minecraft with the Super Mario Mash-Up and the original eShop version?
The easiest way to have two of the same game is to install another region's version, since that will have a different title ID, but some games may not run properly on another region's console. If you want to change a title's ID, you're going to have to become familiar with nuspacker.

danb1983

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a loadiine game which I used NUSPacker to get the install files. I then used the Wup installer v1.0 mod Y1.0 to install the game onto an USB drive. The programs says it installed successfully but I do not see it in the menu. I am running rednand from mocha. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,

CosmoCortney

Lawn Meower
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
You'll need to be more specific about what did/didn't work, and how you installed the tickets. For example, were the non-working tickets 848 bytes, or 696? Did you include the ticket with the install files, or did you copy the ticket to the rights/title/apps... path first?
I changed the console key at 0x1D8 to 00000000. This caused most installaions to work. Others resulted in error that the ticket might be faulty.
One of them (Punch Out, Art Academy) has 696 Bytes in length. Toki Tori has 848 Bytes (if I remember correctly)

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed the console key at 0x1D8 to 00000000. This caused most installaions to work. Others resulted in error that the ticket might be faulty.
One of them (Punch Out, Art Academy) has 696 Bytes in length. Toki Tori has 848 Bytes (if I remember correctly)
I haven't run into an 848 byte console-specific ticket before, but with the 696 byte ones, it worked best to copy the ticket to the correct file under /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps, e.g. /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps/000f/00000010.tik (wherever tik2sd's keys.txt says it was) using ftpiiu_everywhere, and omit the file from the installation directory. You have to be careful when adding the ticket though, because, as I recently discussed with godreborn, there could be more than one title's ticket in that file.

If you look at the same path on your sysNAND and you don't see a 00000010.tik file there, you could simply copy the file from /sd/tik2sd_redNAND/000f/00000010.tik to /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps/000f/00000010.tik. But if that file already exists on sysNAND, you'll have to copy both versions of the file to your PC, combine them (in binary mode), eliminate any duplicate tickets (you probably want to keep the sysNAND ticket), and copy the new file back to sysNAND.

Spearel18

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have a little problem here...
Today when I started the application it updated to the latest version(currently: 0.6.1.124) like always, but then all of the sudden it drops this error code after it boots:
"An error has occured while trying to fetch the metadata.
The value was too high, or too low for the following type: UInt64.
This is a critical error. The app will now close."
Then it closes after the "OK".After that I launched it again, but the same happens every time. Then I uninstalled it, redownloaded the install file, installed it, pasted the "that title key site"s URL, and the problem still occurs.
Any idea?

execlight

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"An error has occured while trying to fetch the metadata.
The value was too high, or too low for the following type: UInt64.
This is a critical error. The app will now close."
Get the error code as well. Seems the new update got some troubles with it. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Last edited by execlight,

Kurayami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I tried putting all the files directly into the Install folder instead of its own folder, and now its stuck at:

"Installing title...
install
00050000101DF400 - 3529.2/3529.2 MB (100%)
Please wait..."

Been like that for about an hour now. Safe to just power cycle?

EDIT: Okay, just power cycled, it was installed successfully and let me play it with no errors. Nevermind!

Last edited by Kurayami,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH