Wiikey U preorders will open soon!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What do you consider a smart tv? My tv is not labeled as a smart tv (no internet or apps), but it has played any video file I have plugged into its usb port.
If a TV supports images or videos, it's already pretty "smart", if it can browse the web and natively supports streaming services then it's a full-blown replacement for your usual media-oriented devices.

Smart TV's aside though, people forget about simple convenience. A homebrew console app supporting streaming within LAN as well as HDD/Disc loading and controlled with the console's controller is simply handy - I don't feel like running back and forth with USB sticks or navigating menus with an uncomfortable TV remote just to get "semi-decent" playback, dedicated multimedia hubs or consoles with the right homebrew app for the job are just better in this regard, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: dario14

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a TV supports images or videos, it's already pretty "smart", if it can browse the web and natively supports streaming services then it's a full-blown replacement for your usual media-oriented devices.

Smart TV's aside though, people forget about simple convenience. A homebrew console app supporting streaming within LAN as well as HDD/Disc loading and controlled with the console's controller is simply handy - I don't feel like running back and forth with USB sticks or navigating menus with an uncomfortable TV remote just to get "semi-decent" playback, dedicated multimedia hubs or consoles with the right homebrew app for the job are just better in this regard, at least in my opinion.

Some TV's are better suited for the task, my remote has the DVD player type buttons on it for navigating and playback, and the playback depends on the video file, I've watched videos that are damn near blu-ray quality from a usb stick, I just wish the video files were a bit smaller than 1.5 to 2.5GB. Besides, I feel more like a pirate when I carry the usb stick from my computer to my TV.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only ever get consoles for the exclusives. Right now, their exclusives are definitely lacking. However, once Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, Bayonetta 2, and X come out... there's no pirate emoticon, so I'll just go with:ninja:.

Reactions: digipimp75

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
there's no pirate emoticon, so I'll just go with:ninja:.

try this
smileypirate.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some TV's are better suited for the task, my remote has the DVD player type buttons on it for navigating and playback, and the playback depends on the video file, I've watched videos that are damn near blu-ray quality from a usb stick, I just wish the video files were a bit smaller than 1.5 to 2.5GB. Besides, I feel more like a pirate when I carry the usb stick from my computer to my TV.
I can't even begin to imagine the compression rate required to produce a "damn near Blu-Ray quality" file the size of 1.5-2.5GB - Blu-Ray's are up to 25 gigs, 50 if dual-sided. A high-quality Blu-Ray rip is around 15 gigs, the quality of those is likely to be several times superior to those you were watching, both in the sound and video department.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dreamcast says hi i dont care what anyone says piracy killed that system

Lol you keep believing that. The PS2 coming out and bad marketing and other bad decisions didn't kill the Dreamcast at all. I believe Rydian's irrefutable and incontrovertible research along with the numerous sources. It may have been a factor, but not the total causation of its failure. Sega had bad luck starting around the release of the Saturn, 32X, and other failed business decisions. To assume it was the only factor is delusional and false, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dreamcast-a-forensic-retrospective-article

http://www.retrogameon.com/2011/04/what-caused-premature-death-of.html

Piracy was a factor yes, but nothing more. Other factors contributed to its demise. People should do their research :creep:

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol you keep believing that. The PS2 coming out and bad marketing and other bad decisions didn't kill the Dreamcast at all. I believe Rydian's irrefutable and incontrovertible research along with the numerous sources. It may have been a factor, but not the total causation of its failure. Sega had bad luck starting around the release of the Saturn, 32X, and other failed business decisions. To assume it was the only factor is delusional and false, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dreamcast-a-forensic-retrospective-article

http://www.retrogameon.com/2011/04/what-caused-premature-death-of.html

Piracy was a factor yes, but nothing more. Other factors contributed to its demise. People should do their research :creep:

when the dreamcast first came out you didnt have to do anything to play backups you literally just burn the cd image on a cd and it would run. Then sega came out with a revision version to stop playing backups then someone made a boot disk allowing backups again. I remember downloading sonic adventure 2 2months before it came out and playing it. If you are going to sit here and tell me piracy had nothing to do with the failure of the dreamcast you're the one whos delusional. same with the psp anyone with a memory card computer and a brain could copy backups. With the ps2 not so easy you had to have a modchip then came the hd loader and memory card exploit not as easy as the dreamcast and psp. Im not saying piracy is the main reason but it defintley was a factor.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when the dreamcast first came out you didnt have to do anything to play backups you literally just burn the cd image on a cd and it would run. Then sega came out with a revision version to stop playing backups then someone made a boot disk allowing backups again. I remember downloading sonic adventure 2 2months before it came out and playing it. If you are going to sit here and tell me piracy had nothing to do with the failure of the dreamcast you're the one whos delusional. same with the psp anyone with a memory card computer and a brain could copy backups. With the ps2 not so easy you had to have a modchip then came the hd loader and memory card exploit not as easy as the dreamcast and psp. Im not saying piracy is the main reason but it defintley was a factor.

Then we're agreed, it was a factor. Sega didn't have the best marketing for it either, and the PS2 was the final nail in the coffin.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
the wii was pirated the fuck out of and it still sold like hotcakes up to the very end. peeps think piracy kills a system it's actually the other way around!

I would argue that in terms of system sales, there is no strong correlation.
However it is fairly common knowledge that software sales do in fact go lower due to piracy, though probably insignificant.
Nintendo's main way of printing money is through software sales, so it does hurt them.
Also with piracy on the loose on the Wii U, developers could have an extra excuse for not developing for the Wii U.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
once a system is pirated everyone wants to buy it which increase hardware sales. don't believe it than take a look at a few of the comments in this thread :P

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already know that it has h.264 support, it's supported in the web browser so it has to be there. ;)

Well that and you would need to find a pretty old GPU to find one that didn't support that. Even the PS3 and I believe the 360 support it and being that the Wii-U has an even newer GPU.

Piracy has never killed any system at all, didn't kill the Wii, PS3, DS, PSP, GBA, original Xbox, PS2, or PS1, but okay. Piracy killing a console is a myth.

I would argue that piracy might have sped up Sega's exit from the console market (I couldn't say if it caused it or not, I think they where on really thin ice at the time and the whole "Boot a copy on any Dreamcast!" thing just made things worse.) I think the same thing might have happened to Commodore with the Amiga as everyone I knew who had one owned zero original games or programs.

But I agree as a general rule that piracy doesn't kill consoles, unless the company is already in real trouble.

BIFFTAZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Hope that the isos can't be modded in anyway & need to be 1v1... Mario kart 8 being released next week & Iv been waiting for that game forever... Getting trolled by 9+ year olds with unlimited items... My wii u will be flying out my window at 200+ mph...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the wii was pirated the fuck out of and it still sold like hotcakes up to the very end. peeps think piracy kills a system it's actually the other way around!
No, it's no way around at all. Of course people who would buy a console just because piracy exists are there, especially on a piracy-related forum, but in the grand scheme of things there's not nearly enough of those people to make any significant difference, either positive or negative, in hardware or software sales unless something exceptional happens. (also, people who would buy a console purely for piracy are completely useless to a company as they make the most money off the games, not the hardware, and these people wouldn't buy games)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
once a system is pirated everyone wants to buy it which increase hardware sales. don't believe it than take a look at a few of the comments in this thread :P

Except, generally speaking, pirates make up 1-3% of owners at the absolute most. It's far too complicated and difficult for all but the most savvy and dedicated of players.

I mean, you realize that GBAtemp is in no way representative of the gaming population as a whole, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the latin american fox feed doesnt air news, it airs movies and tv shows
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ah, I see.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i wasnt even born when fox kids/jetix was alive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also a couple years ago latin american fox got renamed to star channel
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry
    i thought you didnt read the last couple messages before quoting you agin
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah sonic x, that show is valid
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (of course the mf with a sonic pfp would say that 😭)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty you are not dumb or stupid, you need to stop saying that, you are very smart, even about alot of things I have no clue about. We all love you here, like a big family.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah @BigOnYa love me so much he started yelling at me for having my shoes on in the bed when he caught me with his wife
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, I don't want mud crumbs in my bed, and btw you left without paying your tab. Ill add it to next month but getting tired of extending.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope silent hill 2 turns out good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I seen that, hope so too, the first was so epic back then.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Didn't look into much is it just a remake
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing drive me crazy is all these new horror games nowadays is its so dark, all time. I can't even play them. I understand they trying to create spooky but be creative a little, not just darkness with pop out scare scenes.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, either that or mascot horror
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna watch gintama for the first time
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, I always turn the lights up on those lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Two studio lights for one horror game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Couch casting for horror
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: