WiiWare #0623 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney *DLC* (Europe)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tails100 said:
It would be cool if they made 1 phoenix game and they keep on making more cases.
I can see them doing that, these games sell a decent amount in some places but struggle in others.

I'd happily go for a 5 episode season, new episode every month would do me nicely. It would also help keep the episodes to keep up with current pop culture things that its famous for.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gaydrian said:
tails100 said:
It would be cool if they made 1 phoenix game and they keep on making more cases.
I can see them doing that, these games sell a decent amount in some places but struggle in others.

I'd happily go for a 5 episode season, new episode every month would do me nicely. It would also help keep the episodes to keep up with current pop culture things that its famous for.
That would be great if Nintendo revised their DLC terms. When I buy a DSiWare game, I want to be able to play it on all of my devices, like I can with a PSN account. Hopefully Nintendo changes this with the 3DS, then I would certainly be interested in episodic Ace Attorney content
smile.gif

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also noticed issues when trying to run the Case 5 DLC. I installed the .WAD without issue, and the extra "PWAA Pay & Play (E)" save data entry appeared as expected, however no "Case 5" option appeared in-game on the same screen as "New Game / Continue" (where it should be).

There is always a "Buy Case 5" option on the main menu, so I decided to click it - I got an issue which I was able to reproduce in Dolphin which I suspect is related to having never generated Wii Shop credentials (since I had never opened the Wii Shop Channel) on my Wii U.

Reproduction of the message:
wii.png

I then opened the Wii Shop Channel, which didn't do much until I plugged in my Ethernet cable. I did that, and then after a minute or too I was able to browse the Wii Shop.

Now, if I launch the main game, choosing "Buy Episode 5" brings me to a screen which claims two things:
  • the cost of episode 5 is 0 points
  • the case is "already downloaded"
Regardless of whether I "continue" or "quit" this process, the case is now directly selectable from the "New Game / Continue" screen.

I did a bit more experimentation, by removing the save files (one of which was this "Pay & Play" file), reinstalling the DLC wad, then relaunching the game. Here, Case 5 was again immediately playable from the "New Game / Continue" screen.

I believe that the DLC only works if the Wii / Wii U has an 'activated' Wii Shop Account, with a valid number of Wii Points (even if 0).

I believe that running on a Wii / Wii U (or Dolphin) which has not first "authenticated" itself with the Wii Shop must have some variables or credentials "undefined" which prevents the DLC from being properly detected.

This could be a huge problem once Nintendo take the Wii Shop down next year. All thoughts welcome.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I asked around in some related Discord servers, and one user (whose name I will omit) confirmed the issue by testing both with his "daily driver" Wii and a "new" Wii:

[19:40] i have an old wii which i know for a fact has never accessed the eshop because i purchased it new. let me try it on that.
[20:10] it seems the issue is indeed related to the wii shop
[20:10] on my old wii the dlc will not show up
[20:10] i can confirm that the wii i was given must have been connected to the wii shop at some point
[20:11] because when i enter the wii shop channel it tries to connect with a previous connection setup and then fails
[20:11] but on my old system which i know has never been connected
[20:12] when entering the wii shop channel i'm asked to setup a connection

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT