Will AI replace Game Journalists?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, since game journous are such incompetent pieces of shit that want a baby level because it's too hard for them.

Here's one, and specifically the part in red:

X71mc0D.png

Source: https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/review-sonic-colors/

Fuck them. I prefer YouTubers to do reviews themselves and they're actually far better.

Reactions: SylverReZ

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AI is generally viewed as a problem for journalists doing fast turnaround type news (think things a stock market trader might care about) where spending 15 minutes pondering a phrasing is going to mean your competitors win views, though most of that is AI in turn reading what AI wrote (here is a list of negative words in a report, sell if score rises above threshold, buy if positive words reach above this)

There is an element of that in games stuff where race to propagate news wires and press releases comes into it.

AI beyond that will need to get a bit better before it provides any great insight, though it might be nice for stats related things https://towardsdatascience.com/predicting-hit-video-games-with-ml-1341bd9b86b0
Seen related things as well where people try to find hidden gems on steam listings by breaking down scores, hours played and whatnot to see what might have slipped the net.

There was that valve thing that took screenshots of various games and played them a bit to see functionality. Could see something there in probably a few more years but even that is going to be iffy.

Also of interest at this point

toolazytosearchitmyself

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't see reputable sources publishing game reviews written by AI because AI can't play the game. Dodgy reviewers might use AI to read other reviews and write their own reviews based on them. If I remember correctly, an IGN reviewer got caught plagiarising other reviews and changing a few words (without AI) a few years back.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see reputable sources publishing game reviews written by AI because AI can't play the game. Dodgy reviewers might use AI to read other reviews and write their own reviews based on them. If I remember correctly, an IGN reviewer got caught plagiarising other reviews and changing a few words (without AI) a few years back.
If the "do you have to finish the game" debate gets heated I can only imagine the fun with aimbots in a few years where they become less technically inclined person spends a long time programming it and more machine vision makes it such that anybody that can run a macro today can achieve very nice results such that you can blaze through any random game as though you have been speedrunning/high level clan in it for years (as it stands I could probably make a precursor to it today, though would want to crushed textures/whatever modes they give to hard of sight types, and training it for jumping timing, grenade throwing, hookshots and vehicles would require you know what you are doing).
Further things that might be a nice jumping off point
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mit-dev...-that-can-compete-against-top-players.462500/

Discovering hidden strategies might also be an interesting one here but that might be more in depth and closer to the aimbot programmer today.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replace game journalists? Unlikely, but be used to decrease the number needed? - very possible

I know some people who are using AI right now for first drafts on business materials and investor documentation - they then go through and correct/add as necessary - but it can save you some time with very minimal costs

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replace game journalists? Unlikely, but be used to decrease the number needed? - very possible

I know some people who are using AI right now for first drafts on business materials and investor documentation - they then go through and correct/add as necessary - but it can save you some time with very minimal costs
If it can reduce the useless journos who don't know how a game is meant to be played, then that's a good thing.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it can reduce the useless journos who don't know how a game is meant to be played, then that's a good thing.

It's remarkable that man didn't think to walk back a few extra steps

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

When I hear about 'game journalists' being bad I often it's an exaggeration because people love to clown on them but holy crap how can someone be so bad at a videogame, this is like lower than the lowest common denominator which a lot of games are designed around these days. Hard to give a review when you don't understand its design on a basic level. This makes the Cuphead tutorial look like 'Dark Souls' in comparison (a phrase which they also love to use)

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt it. How do you condense what 'fun' is to a level where an AI can interpret that and reflect on it?

I generally have a heavy scepticism for AI replacing writers. I don't think it can ever really be done and I don't just say that because of my heavily biased position.

Even the best AI writing examples I've seen are very stilted and awkward, reading like something a student has made as their best attempt at SEO writing.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think I'd stick to listening to a human in regards to what I would find fun and interesting in a game. I don't see a point where that will ever change, the only advantage an AI has is it doesn't require a sallary.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I hear about 'game journalists' being bad I often it's an exaggeration because people love to clown on them but holy crap how can someone be so bad at a videogame, this is like lower than the lowest common denominator which a lot of games are designed around these days. Hard to give a review when you don't understand its design on a basic level. This makes the Cuphead tutorial look like 'Dark Souls' in comparison (a phrase which they also love to use)
The worst one I'd say is Dean Takahashi "playing" DOOM Eternal. Yep, the same guy who got stuck on the Cuphead tutorial.

He got the game early and probably was unable to beat it.

Society has really been dumbed down to stupidville.

ChanseyIsTheBest

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The worst one I'd say is Dean Takahashi "playing" DOOM Eternal. Yep, the same guy who got stuck on the Cuphead tutorial.

He got the game early and probably was unable to beat it.

Society has really been dumbed down to stupidville.

I don't think this is a problem because he's not writing a review of it imo - for a review you need a bare minimum level of a skill for a game but for just impressions and technical stuff you don't need much playable skill.

Last edited by ChanseyIsTheBest,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can doubtless find me pointing and laughing at the things that brought us the phrase game journalist difficulty, and staring on in morbid fascination at that PS5 review.

The non gamer playing games however is a fascinating field and offers a glimpse into some of the unstated conventions that we may have all discovered independently and not even in a formal way as much as a heuristic that is unknown to the conscious mind.
Probably the most famous series of them but there are others

That said there is a difference between not knowing conventions and the seemingly advanced level of cluelessness and non adaptability that is showcased in some of the videos above.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Game journalists or game reviewers?
It doesn't really take much intelligence to copy-paste industry announcements and promotional materials with zero comprehension or original comment, and that's what 90% of game "journalism" boils down to. I'm pretty sure that's already done by AI.
Game reviews are a little trickier: you have to copy-paste the game's promo materials, but also check and copy-paste a review score from Metacritic. Way more difficult :tpi:

But seriously, "review" is a weird and wildly subjective beast and can't really be pinned down, and the mystical properties that make a "good" or "enjoyable" or "engaging" game are not exactly quantifiable or absolute. So an AI capable of game reviewing could never be made, or could be made tomorrow. "AI" is also a fickle beast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...