Will Not Power On

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the Xbox One (or at least I think it is) - and it's been plugged in sitting on a shelf for 3 months or so. Today, I tried to power it on and i hear the power on chirp, the power light illuminates for about 7 seconds, then it immediately powers down.

I've tried holding the sync, power and eject button combo trick to fix this. I've unplugged the power cable for 15 seconds and pressed power button twice to fix, i've tried pressing the eject button 10 x but same result. I'm wondering if during a move the incorrect power cable was plugged into the xbox, as this is just a straight power cord does not have a brick with it, and I'm accustomed to the xbox 360 having a giant power brick.

If that's not the case, anyone have thoughts/troubleshooting tips? I followed the xbox wiki on what to do and it was not much help.

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick update....i finally was able to have time to open up the xbox, and found out that when I power on my xbox one the fan never spins up. The xbox stays on for 6 - 7 seconds, then immediately cuts off, and never does the fan begin to spin.

I assume the fan never beginning to spin is what is causing the xbox one to power down. What is a replacement fan that will work?

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update -> I replaced the fan with a new one and the issue is still occuring. Powers on for a few seconds then immediately powers off and the fan is never spinning.

I'm going to continue the google hunt and see what I can track down....

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Update -> I replaced the fan with a new one and the issue is still occuring. Powers on for a few seconds then immediately powers off and the fan is never spinning.

I'm going to continue the google hunt and see what I can track down....
Xbox One - Bad HD or Power supply or mosfet.
Xbox One S - Power supply or mosfet or bad hdd or hdmi retimer. (Usually hd or retimer then mosfet and last psu).
Xbox One X - Power supply or mosfet or bad hdd or hdmi retimer. (Usually hd or retimer then mosfet and last psu).

Try another hard drive and see if you get anything to post.

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox One - Bad HD or Power supply or mosfet.
Xbox One S - Power supply or mosfet or bad hdd or hdmi retimer. (Usually hd or retimer then mosfet and last psu).
Xbox One X - Power supply or mosfet or bad hdd or hdmi retimer. (Usually hd or retimer then mosfet and last psu).

Try another hard drive and see if you get anything to post.

Oh you are a lifesaver! What is the mosfet (from google looks like i might have to solder that)? How would I check the hdd?

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah any laptop drive 500gb-2tb some smaller ones work just to see if anything posts on screen.

I don't think it's the hard drive, when I press the power button I hear the hard drive start spinning, then after about 8 seconds when the XBOX One S auto-shuts down I hear the hard drive click. This is the same action that occurs both with the factory hard drive as well as a 1TB SSD drive I had.

It still throws me that even after 8 seconds the fan, which is brand new, still does not start spinning. From my experience, a fan should start spinning as soon as any device be powered on. Maybe it actually is a mosfet...how would I test that and/or where do I go to find the correct one for my Xbox One S?

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's the hard drive, when I press the power button I hear the hard drive start spinning, then after about 8 seconds when the XBOX One S auto-shuts down I hear the hard drive click. This is the same action that occurs both with the factory hard drive as well as a 1TB SSD drive I had.

It still throws me that even after 8 seconds the fan, which is brand new, still does not start spinning. From my experience, a fan should start spinning as soon as any device be powered on. Maybe it actually is a mosfet...how would I test that and/or where do I go to find the correct one for my Xbox One S?
Most likely hdmi retimer or mosfet.

MikeTheKnight2016

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I know it's the One S --- is that what you were looking for?

I'm at the office not in front of the xbox, but does this model have connection options other than hdmi like previous models? I could try a different connection method and see if that works. If it does, that would let me know it's the hdmi issue.

Also, reading the description of both of these items they state they require micro-soldering....i do not have the equipment for that...is that an accurate statement?

Last edited by MikeTheKnight2016,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: @AncientBoi how are you ? :evil: :D +1