Gaming Will Pokemon Incorporate Avg. Pokedex Height?

Will Pokemon Incorporate Avg. Pokedex Height?

• yes

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • no

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • i hope we get different sizes

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What are the community's thoughts on the possibility of real-time combat with pause actions (trainer move callouts and items)? A lot of people on the interwebs say this is the direction they might be moving with Pokemon Switch.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What are the community's thoughts on the possibility of real-time combat with pause actions (trainer move callouts and items)? A lot of people on the interwebs say this is the direction they might be moving with Pokemon Switch.
So sort of the same thing as the turn based system, except both Pokemon move at the same time?
Or do you mean where you actually control the movement?
The former I could like a lot but the latter just reminds me of how much I hate the direction Final Fantasy has taken and wish it would go back to the style of the PS1/PS2 era. It might ruin the series for me like it did Final Fantasy, which used to be my favorite game series alongside Zelda but now Pokemon has taken its place.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So sort of the same thing as the turn based system, except both Pokemon move at the same time?
Or do you mean where you actually control the movement?
The former I could like a lot but the latter just reminds me of how much I hate the direction Final Fantasy has taken and wish it would go back to the style of the PS1/PS2 era. It might ruin the series for me like it did Final Fantasy, which used to be my favorite game series alongside Zelda but now Pokemon has taken its place.
I mean kinda like Pokken Tournament with basic attacks/grabs/blocks/counters, then trainer commands for more advanced attacks and items and such. I'm not sure if the battle arena would be more 3D (isometric) or 2D with stage movement, or a mix of the two like Pokken.

Last edited by Xzi,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I mean kinda like Pokken Tournament with basic attacks/grabs/blocks/counters, then trainer commands for more advanced attacks and items and such. I'm not sure if the battle arena would be more 3D (isometric) or 2D with stage movement, or a mix of the two like Pokken.
I don't like Pokken very much. It was a nice experiment but it has very little to do with Pokemon besides the character models. I would have liked it a lot more if it played like Smash Bros but instead it just plays like a generic fighting game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't like Pokken very much. It was a nice experiment but it has very little to do with Pokemon besides the character models. I would have liked it a lot more if it played like Smash Bros but instead it just plays like a generic fighting game.
Well that's because Pokken is just a fighting game. If you take elements of that and add it to the combat of a core Pokemon game, however, it's something different entirely. It would be slower and more strategic, and you could even slow/stop time with trainer callouts and Pokemon changes and the like. The biggest improvement would be that type advantages would be hard to overcome still, but they'd no longer be infallible.

Last edited by Xzi,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokken Tournament is what, as a kid, I thought Pokemon Stadium would be. That said, I think that style of gameplay is best kept to spinoff. Turn-based mechanics are most appropriate for Pokemon. Or perhaps an active time type thing so that speed means more than just "who's action is performed first"

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched a video that compared the combat mechanics to that of Digimon World, the ones with real time combat and callouts. Personally, I think that'd be pretty awesome. It'd be a nice switch up from the standard formula.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pokken Tournament is what, as a kid, I thought Pokemon Stadium would be. That said, I think that style of gameplay is best kept to spinoff. Turn-based mechanics are most appropriate for Pokemon. Or perhaps an active time type thing so that speed means more than just "who's action is performed first"
Well, the reasoning behind this speculation is fairly solid. Game Freak did have Pokemon Stars running on Switch at one point, but it was basically only a US/UM port to get them familiar with the hardware. The success of BotW and Odyssey are what inspired GF to make Pokemon Switch a "radical departure" from the other core games.

Reactions: Deathscreton

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is gonna be one of those changes that people are either gonna despise or love right off the bat, and then it slowly grows on them over time. It almost always happens with large, well known titles that have held a certain standard through the years. Stale gets stale though.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if Nintendo/Gamefreak dont use turn based system its the end of Nintendo/Gamefreak

why change something which has been such a success for all this years.

if you want real time... go and play another game.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
if Nintendo/Gamefreak dont use turn based system its the end of Nintendo/Gamefreak

Well it'd be more like a mix of the two. Think Dragon Age: Origins with a lot less pausing. The difference between turn-based and real-time strategy is combat speed, you just have to find a nice middle ground.

Personally I'm excited, I want combat like we see in Pokemon Origins. That'd be amazing if we could get moves of equal attack values to cause clashes too.

Last edited by Xzi,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well it'd be more like a mix of the two. Think Dragon Age: Origins with a lot less pausing.

change for the sake of change is not always good thing. wouldn't it be smarter to create a new a game which is not the main series which has this features.

maybe we should add guns to the next Mario games, and add space ships which takes you to space in next Zelda games

Last edited by Flame,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, the reasoning behind this speculation is fairly solid. Game Freak did have Pokemon Stars running on Switch at one point, but it was basically only a US/UM port to get them familiar with the hardware. The success of BotW and Odyssey are what inspired GF to make Pokemon Switch a "radical departure" from the other core games.
What makes you think that? I could never actually find any proof to back up the Pokemon Stars rumor and as far as I could tell it was just that, a rumor.

Agreed. As a spinoff series it could work and might become very popular but not as the main series.
Well that's because Pokken is just a fighting game. If you take elements of that and add it to the combat of a core Pokemon game, however, it's something different entirely. It would be slower and more strategic, and you could even slow/stop time with trainer callouts and Pokemon changes and the like. The biggest improvement would be that type advantages would be hard to overcome still, but they'd no longer be infallible.
I'm still skeptical. If it's not broken, don't fix it or chances are you'll only make things worse.
Square is trying that with FF7 and I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far, but I'll still try it out once it's released if I get the chance.

I don't think it will be the end of them. They'll lose a huge part of the current fanbase, but they'll gain a new one.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe we should add guns to the next Mario games
Well...
MRKB_Posing_M_E3_170612_215pm_1497264701.png

Reactions: gnmmarechal and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
change for the sake of change is not always good thing. wouldn't it be smarter to create a new a game which is not the main series which has this features.

maybe we should add guns to the next Mario games, and add space ships which takes you to space to next Zelda games
They already changed up Zelda and Mario significantly and both received glowing reviews. Honestly it's fine, these franchises had been growing too predictable anyway. Same for Pokemon, Sun and Moon were that perfect combination of the same ol' combat and way too much exposition. They're the first Pokemon games I've actually been bored by.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They already changed up Zelda and Mario significantly and both received glowing reviews. Honestly it's fine, these franchises had been growing too predictable anyway. Same for Pokemon, Sun and Moon were that perfect combination of the same ol' combat and way too much exposition. They're the first Pokemon games I've actually been bored by.

yes im all for trying new things. a map which is unlocked from the start. able to catch legendary from the start. 50 badges. you can be good or evil. a story which is different then any other pokemon game.

but not the turn based system. why? cause that is Pokemon.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
but not the turn based system. why? cause that is Pokemon.
That's not Pokemon Snap. Or Pokemon Stadium. Or Pokken Tournament. IMO adding other elements to the combat is long overdue, and you can't really change anything significant by keeping it entirely turn-based. The latest Pokemon games were more story-based than combat-based anyway TBH and people were fine with that (apparently). We already have a ton of generations of the same thing, adding new stuff to the combat won't make Pokemon anything other than Pokemon. You'll still catch 300+, battle countless trainers and the NCAA final elite four.

Last edited by Xzi,

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not Pokemon Snap. Or Pokemon Stadium. Or Pokken Tournament. IMO adding other elements to the combat is long overdue, and you can't really change anything significant by keeping it entirely turn-based. The latest Pokemon games were more story-based than combat-based anyway TBH and people were fine with that (apparently).
Pokemon Stadium was turn-based...

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    hitorikuroi @ hitorikuroi: HI :)