Hacking Question Will Switch 3.0.0 require a hardmod?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you are referring to a hardmod as in a modchip, I doubt it considering how much room the Switch has (or lack of) for extra stuff in the shell.
If you mean like a hardware downgrade like 3DS had, This will be impossible unless an RGH like solution was developed. The eFuses blow for each update so the Switch will throw an error (and blow an eFuse so Nintendo knows you tried if you send it in for Warranty work) when downgraded.
Not only that, from what I understood it actually bricks itself if you try to downgrade it.
A twitter post came out saying that Homebrew or an exploit will still work on 3.0.0, however some places state that something on 3.0.0 was patched that allowed some sort of system module to work.

First of all, I know the Switch obviously will have an exploit on 3.0.0 and below but everything that is told on the Switch Brew wiki is confusing for just an average user like me.

So what does any of this mean? http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Switch_System_Flaws&type=revision&diff=958&oldid=159
AFAIK nothing important was patched in 3.0.0. Not so sure about 3.0.1 though.
But it's way too early for a kernel exploit or anything like that yet, and there's no telling what firmwares such an exploit will work on when it's eventually released.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only that, from what I understood it actually bricks itself if you try to downgrade it.

AFAIK nothing important was patched in 3.0.0. Not so sure about 3.0.1 though.
But it's way too early for a kernel exploit or anything like that yet, and there's no telling what firmwares such an exploit will work on when it's eventually released.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-...t-has-downgrade-protection-with-fuses.478820/
Hardmod is where you solder shit to other shit so it downgrades the shit, right? (I don't know what it entirely does.) But I think the Switch detects if you hardmod.
you better watch your language sir!!

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how everyone's just blindly waiting on 3.0.0 even tho an exploit isn't gonna be released for another few months, they know stuff was patched but nobody's released anything yet and I don't expect them to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so there are a limited number of updates ninty can push until all the fuses are blown?
Yes but with 2 caveats

"Limited" means the opposite of "infinite", not that the number is so small you should be happy

They are not forced to add to the fuse count - they could release 69.0.0 and 69.0.1 both requiring 84 fuses to be cleared (and yes, it would technically be possible to restore a 69.0.0 backup over 69.0.1 in this case)

D

Deleted User

I love how everyone's just blindly waiting on 3.0.0 even tho an exploit isn't gonna be released for another few months, they know stuff was patched but nobody's released anything yet and I don't expect them to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I know right, I don't understand how people think that 3.0.0 is gonna be hacked so soon, I updated to 3.0.1 and there's gonna be a greater chance that the Switch will be hacked on much later firmwares, because the hackers need to find vulnerabilities in more recent firmwares.

D

Deleted-355425

I know right, I don't understand how people think that 3.0.0 is gonna be hacked so soon, I updated to 3.0.1 and there's gonna be a greater chance that the Switch will be hacked on much later firmwares, because the hackers need to find vulnerabilities in more recent firmwares.

This would normally be the case but now the exploits now get sold for $$$, this means the only exploits we are going to get are on old firmware's that have already been patched.

Reactions: petethepug

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, everyone has an interpretation of how it might be hacked & what might be the best method to enjoying the console but everything here is all just speculation for the moment.

Who knows maybe 3.0.1 could be hacked, so it wouldn't matter if people were on the latest fw anyway.

PatrickJr

Trophies
Website
grimtech.co.uk
XP
Country
Since I've been pretty late to most scenes, I got the New 3DS late into homebrew dev, luckily I got in just in time and I have Luma on 11.5, How long did it take for homebrew to hit the 3DS?
This time I finally got a Switch, I know it maybe a few months later. it's currently on 3.0.1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.