Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
but you diabled cortana right
i dont see how it can be faster, are you using it on a desktop?
every win version just get seems to get more and more bloated
i guess now that they removed metro sort of it got faster ?
I dunno, my crappy laptop works perfectly fine, it's fluid, it's fast, cortona is disabled, and I enjoy smooth computer stuff running on a core2 duo cpu.

I couldn't get better.

Reactions: Margen67

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if I want it. I am thinking about the Windows for my MAC as Dual because I am into most emulators like PCSX2 and some romhacking programs too. The wineskin is great but it is not very helpful for PCSX2, really. I don't know.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
finally got around to installing it and I do like the performance of it, everything else not so much, particularly the hideous white/gray ui
this did help as far as the start menu is concerned, and readded some options back to the file explorer http://www.classicshell.net/

maybe one day we will have a complete win7 skin for win10

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am going to do this now; I got a Windows 7 laptop, going to see how this goes!
02c4b57ddd13ef2949b4260373c70e93.jpg

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I'm going to post this here, since it would be pointless to create another thread.

My cousin wants to upgrade his mid-2012 bought Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10. He also wants to upgrade the HDD with a new SSD. How can we swap the drives first and then "prove" we have authentic Windows 7 in order to update to 10?

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I thought about the second option too. What program can make the fastest, easiest complete image cloning? And how do I connect the SSD to transer the image into?

Once the HDD is swapped with the SSD, I will do a clean Windows 10 install anyway.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you're doing a clean install anyway, you would want to do the third option: upgrade it on the HDD, grab the valid W10 product key, then swap to the SSD and do a clean install with that product key. No imaging required.

You can also get a 2.5" drive enclosure to use the old HDD as an external drive.

Reactions: JFTS

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is the SSD going to be bigger than the spinning rust drive it is replacing? As long as you have enough free space you can do it but depending upon what program you are using you might have to change a few things.

I have things I use in crazy server environments and there are places with existing setups they like to use but for basic hard drive cloning and 95% of the stuff I do you will struggle to go wrong with http://clonezilla.org/ . You may well have a copy already if you have certain popular rescue CDs like Hiren's boot CD or Ultimate Boot CD/UBCD.

I am not sure what options MS have provided for those wanting to do a clean install either. I much prefer to do clean installs if given the chance and with https://ninite.com/ it is increasingly painless to do so, though cloning a drive like this is still a very valid method and one that might be better in many cases.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Is the SSD going to be bigger than the spinning rust drive it is replacing? As long as you have enough free space you can do it but depending upon what program you are using you might have to change a few things.

I have things I use in crazy server environments and there are places with existing setups they like to use but for basic hard drive cloning and 95% of the stuff I do you will struggle to go wrong with http://clonezilla.org/ . You may well have a copy already if you have certain popular rescue CDs like Hiren's boot CD or Ultimate Boot CD/UBCD.

I am not sure what options MS have provided for those wanting to do a clean install either. I much prefer to do clean installs if given the chance and with https://ninite.com/ it is increasingly painless to do so, though cloning a drive like this is still a very valid method and one that might be better in many cases.

Thank you for the information, but I will probably go with Originality's suggestion. The only problem is, where do I look to find the W10 product key since I won't have an installation DVD.

One more thing. Doesn't the product key account for one computer only? I mean, when I will be clean installing W10 on the new SSD, will the product key be deactivated from the previous upgrade while it was in the HDD?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You might find a key on a sticker and if you really want there are ways of recovering things from existing installs. More likely though the key is the one programmed into the BIOS by the laptop vendor -- it is why various piracy/windows activators will talk about BIOS emulation, BIOS patching, SLIC and whatever else. To that end it will hopefully just read it out of the BIOS and activate it, maybe having to phone home if you are really unlucky.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I thought about the second option too. What program can make the fastest, easiest complete image cloning? And how do I connect the SSD to transer the image into?

Once the HDD is swapped with the SSD, I will do a clean Windows 10 install anyway.
You can use a SATA/eSATA Cable ---> USB, most of the time there just called HDD/SSD Cases...Allowing you to connect a HDD/SSD via USB, basically that way you could clone your drive from the HDD to the SSD.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Thanks for the suggestion, but as I'm going to clean install Windows 10, there's no use to clone the HDD. Still, a useful piece of information for the future.

I have actually found a video that explains how to get your Windows product key:

So, my steps will be:

- Updating Windows 7 to Windows 10 on the HDD
- Get W10 product key with this tool
- Swap the HDD with the SSD
- Clean install W10 with the product key I got earlier

If someone has done this before, could you confirm if this is the right order?

Last edited by JFTS,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's always useful to keep a record of your old Windows 7 key. Anyway...

As I've been told in the past, Windows licenses upon activation are tied to the hardware IDs of the digital backbone of your system (CPU and motherboard mostly). Upgrading RAM, GPU or HDD won't usually cause the OS to fail activation (when it does it's a phone all away from being fixed), although updating the CPU/motherboard certainly will. If it's an OEM license, then such an upgrade will require a completely new license. I've also heard the same applies to the Windows 10 upgrade offer, although I never did see an official source state it. However if it's just a drive, then there should be no problems.

Back to your most recent question, that order of installation should be correct, albeit missing the step where you download the Windows 10 installer to stick onto a USB drive from the Microsoft website. I'll post a link in a bit Here's a link.

Last edited by Originality,
D

Deleted-236924

I upgraded, the only thing that didn't work anymore was the EZ-Flash IV client.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh