Windows 11 will be a free upgrade for Windows 10 users and will feature new gaming enhancements

Xbox_Wire_Windows11.jpg

During a livestream that aired today, Microsoft officially unveiled its next OS: Windows 11 and announced that Windows 10 users will get access to Windows 11 as a free upgrade, similar to how Windows 7 and 8 users were upgraded to Windows 10 for free.

Microsoft also said that Windows 11 will be "the best Windows ever for gaming". To back that claim up, the tech giant announced a slate of gaming-related enhancements. One of these is Auto HDR which will make games look better as it adds High Dynamic Range (HDR) enhancements to titles built on DirectX 11 or higher that previously only leveraged Standard Dynamic Range (SDR). This tech was in fact introduced Xbox Series X|S consoles.

Another enhancement will come to loading speed through the new DirectStorage technology. This was part of the Xbox Velocity Architecture featured in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S and Windows 11 PCs will load new games faster with a high performance NVMe SSD and the proper drivers.

As a final gaming-related feature, the Xbox app will be built into Windows 11 to provide easier access to Game Pass. Cloud gaming will also be directly added into the Xbox app on PC.

Another interesting announcement during the event, albeit not directly related to gaming, is that Android apps will apparently run natively on Windows 11. The apps will be downloadable from Amazon’s Appstore, which will itself be accessible via the new Windows store.

For more details about the gaming-related announcements, head to the official Xbox blog post in the source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

DarthMotzkus

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It has not released for the beta channel- only the dev channel. I got the insider preview at 18:00 GMT+1, and it's working great so far.
Do you recommend install it? My hardware is 100% compatible and has TPM (It's an Asus Vivobook). I pretend to keep using as personal computer to work and gaming. Should i move to dev channel, upgrade and go back to beta?

Last edited by DarthMotzkus,

CinnamonMina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the upgrade is free but ultimately you will pay for the license when you buy a new PC with Windows 11 installed. That was my critique. On one side they give away free licenses and make a PR stunt out of it but on the other it's still paid for new PC's with it pre-installed. You are not even getting any advantage for the paid one.

Product keys are now tied to your Microsoft account so even if you build a new Desktop you wont need to shell out money

Reactions: leerpsp

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I wonder how long will people be able to use win 11 installed through that workaround if their devices aren't supported but has TPM 2.0. I do hope Microsoft drops that 9" screen requirement as there are 6 and 5.5 inch 720p devices out there.

Last edited by fvig2001,

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably could've saved some money and dignity by just rotating the Windows icon to face forward right at the beginning instead of using that pixelated transformation approach.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This sounds like it may be good, but for the time being I will just wait until it is stable and see if it is worth the update. For now Windows 10 does what I need it to do.
When SP2 comes out you mean? ;P

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
BIG NEWS! My PC which using Windows 10.... IS NOW SUPPORT TPM VERSION 2.0!!!! CAN INSTALL WINDOWS 11! :yay:

UPDATE!

Download special tool called WHYNOTWIN11 on this website!

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

It will detect your PC are supported Windows 11 or not! Just likes this for my PC!

Attachments

• SupportWin11.jpg
    SupportWin11.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by AsPika2219, , Reason: Added special tool for detecting PC before install Windows 11

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm an Insider in the highest ring on my almost 9 year old computer. No TPM chip and a Intel Core I7 2700K CPU, I was able to install Windows 11 and it just works great. The TPM is just for security, the CPU doesn't make sense. My other pc with a 6700K isn't supported and Microsoft is "investigating" if the 7th Gen will be supported. If my 9 year old pc can run it without problems (without the TPM and CPU check ofcourse, so less security according to their reason of the TPM) why can't a modern 6th Gen or 7th Gen run it? Luckily I was able to move the start menu to the left instead of the center. It's mainly Windows 10 with a new skin and a few features.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm an Insider in the highest ring on my almost 9 year old computer. No TPM chip and a Intel Core I7 2700K CPU, I was able to install Windows 11 and it just works great. The TPM is just for security, the CPU doesn't make sense. My other pc with a 6700K isn't supported and Microsoft is "investigating" if the 7th Gen will be supported. If my 9 year old pc can run it without problems (without the TPM and CPU check ofcourse, so less security according to their reason of the TPM) why can't a modern 6th Gen or 7th Gen run it? Luckily I was able to move the start menu to the left instead of the center. It's mainly Windows 10 with a new skin and a few features.
It's a little ridiculous they're not supporting 7th gen Intel Core CPUs and the 2017 Ryzens, the former were still being used in PCs in 2018. They make all the excuses they want about security, but they're excluding plenty CPUs that have TPM 2.0. Maybe this'll be my excuse to finally switch to an Ubuntu variant and just dual boot Windows for VR and other stuff I can't run on Linux.

If they want security then they need to pay attention to the things that make Linux based OS's so secure.
BIG NEWS! My PC which using Windows 10.... IS NOW SUPPORT TPM VERSION 2.0!!!! CAN INSTALL WINDOWS 11! :yay:

UPDATE!

Download special tool called WHYNOTWIN11 on this website!

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

It will detect your PC are supported Windows 11 or not! Just likes this for my PC!
We've just learned only 8th Gen Intel Core CPUs and up and AMD Zen 2 and up will be supported. Even the Skylake CPUs support TPM 2.0 but aren't being supported by Windows 11, and those weren't even discontinued until 2019. Realistically amy of the TPM 2.0 CPUs and likely older ones will be able to install Windows 11, even if it requires a workaround, but how well it'll perform or how stable it'll be is another story.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is a page on LeCrabeInfo on how to fix Windows 11 for support on PCs without TPM 2.0 or Secure Boot instead of replacing the Install.wim of Windows 10 with the one from Windows 11. You can check the page here but it's in French.

Last edited by KeeperCP1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.