Elritha

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
With only 5 days left until Windows 7 is RTM, is anyone planning on getting it? I've been using the release candidate for awhile now and am pretty happy with it. Can't really go back to Vista now...
frown.gif

Those on Technet subscription are supposed to be able to get it soon after it reaches RTM, while general public availability willl be October 22nd.

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Oh I'll definitely get it. I've been using Windows 7 as my primary OS since build 7000, though currently using RC1 (7100). No reason not to make the move to RTM since 7100 has a transparency bug with the taskbar that rears its unimpressive head every time I restart my computer.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
loesjoel said:
No reason not to make the move to RTM since 7100 has a transparency bug with the taskbar that rears its unimpressive head every time I restart my computer.
Really? Never happened to me. You installed your drivers right?

Elritha

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
GentleFist said:
buy a os? do not want

~~cough~~pirate~~cough~~

You could do that, but you risk the chance of microsoft detecting it is cracked.

Pre-ordering Windows 7 is pretty cheap at the moment anyway. Apparently Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade is retailing for $49, while Windows 7 Professional is $99.

The upgrade one will take operating systems from windows 2000 up, and only requires the cd to verify you own it, doesn't have to be installed, meaning you can still do a clean install of 7.

G

GentleFist

Edhel said:
GentleFist said:
buy a os? do not want

~~cough~~pirate~~cough~~

You could do that, but you risk the chance of microsoft detecting it is cracked.

Pre-ordering Windows 7 is pretty cheap at the moment anyway. Apparently Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade is retailing for $49, while Windows 7 Professional is $99.

The upgrade one will take operating systems from windows 2000 up, and only requires the cd to verify you own it, doesn't have to be installed, meaning you can still do a clean install of 7.

what do you mean? upgrade one? i thought only new pc's get a free update

Elritha

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
GentleFist said:

If you have owned a previous microsoft operating system you can choose to purchase the upgrade version, meaning you get it at a discounted price compared to the full retail version.

Here's the article where I read about it.
Here

lolsjoel

Trophies
Website
www.0RANGECHiCKEN.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
loesjoel said:
No reason not to make the move to RTM since 7100 has a transparency bug with the taskbar that rears its unimpressive head every time I restart my computer.
Yep! It's actually listed in as a known bug in 7100. What it is is that the grey transparency color of the taskbar extends out about an extra 10% past the boundaries of the bar. All I have to do to correct it is to drag the bar to the right side of the screen and back, then all is well. I keep my taskbar at the top of the screen (and have since install), so it might not be a problem when the taskbar is left at the bottom.

Also, as one of the perks of being an engineering student at my university, we get access to the MSDNAA, so I'll have the Windows 7 RTM and official retail release for free when they're made available!
grog.gif

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
loesjoel said:
playallday said:
loesjoel said:
Yep! It's actually listed in as a known bug in 7100. What it is is that the grey transparency color of the taskbar extends out about an extra 10% past the boundaries of the bar. All I have to do to correct it is to drag the bar to the right side of the screen and back, then all is well. I keep my taskbar at the top of the screen (and have since install), so it might not be a problem when the taskbar is left at the bottom.

Also, as one of the perks of being an engineering student at my university, we get access to the MSDNAA, so I'll have the Windows 7 RTM and official retail release for free when they're made available!
grog.gif
Leak it.
smileipb2.png

Oh yeah, that bug. It never really buged me so I forgot about it.
biggrin.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
loesjoel said:
playallday said:
loesjoel said:

grog.gif
I've got that too
biggrin.gif
Thanks for reminding me
smile.gif

Gonna get the RTM as soon as it's out
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Crap, my user does not work anymore. Stupid MS.

Excellentnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably won't get it for a while. I've just spent an hour or so customizing Vista so I'm keeping it. Although, I was satisfied with the beta. I tried build 7000 and 7100 and they were excellent.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Edhel said:
GentleFist said:

If you have owned a previous microsoft operating system you can choose to purchase the upgrade version, meaning you get it at a discounted price compared to the full retail version.

Here's the article where I read about it.
Here
Can you upgrade path from Ultimate Vista to Pro 7?

Elritha

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think so, you can only upgrade to the same equivelent on windows 7.

According to this article you are restricted top the following.

QUOTE said:
* Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium
* Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional
* Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...