Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If it's games you want then it makes a lot more sense to run them directly from DOSBox instead of Windows.

The method is exactly the same, take the folder of an installed game (install it on DOSBox on PC) and make a .bat file with the commands you would use to launch it. The mouse IS supported on c-stick, but the Y axis is inverted, or it was the last time I tried hopefully it's been fixed in a recent version.

I've been playing Lemmings and it runs great.
How do you "make a .bat file with the commands you would use to launch it"? Unless this is obvious after installing the game using DosBox (haven't tried yet).

Also, how do you "install" a game? I can run Jill of the Jungle on DosBox on my computer by mounting the extracted directory as C, going to C and then running the .exe.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you "make a .bat file with the commands you would use to launch it"? Unless this is obvious after installing the game using DosBox (haven't tried yet).

Also, how do you "install" a game? I can run Jill of the Jungle on DosBox on my computer by mounting the extracted directory as C, going to C and then running the .exe.
Let's say after copying the game over your 3DS folder looks like this,
Code:
\retroarch\dos\games\jill
And let's say you want to place all .bat files in the dos folder for sake of neatness.
An example jill.bat in the dos folder would simply contain,
Code:
cd games\jill
jill.exe
Then load the jill.bat in dosbox and it should launch the .exe.

LarBob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it doesn't work on O3DS consoles at all. Just hangs on a red screen when launching. That's why the title is "Windows on the New 3DS".

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
D

Deleted User

However, I have another 2 questions:

1) Is there a CIA build of this? I'm not fond of launching homebrew from HBL nowadays... booting this from the home menu on emunand would be nice! ^_^
2) Is there a way to make the mouse move? If so, what configuration do I need to set up?

Reactions: SLiV3R

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
However, I have another 2 questions:

1) Is there a CIA build of this? I'm not fond of launching homebrew from HBL nowadays... booting this from the home menu on emunand would be nice! ^_^
2) Is there a way to make the mouse move? If so, what configuration do I need to set up?

1. RetroArch provides Dosbox CIA builds now iirc.
2. Iirc, it's moved by the C-stick, but the vertical axis is inverted incorrectly (but it can be fixed in the core settings).

D

Deleted User

1. RetroArch provides Dosbox CIA builds now iirc.
2. Iirc, it's moved by the C-stick, but the vertical axis is inverted incorrectly (but it can be fixed in the core settings).
1) Are they included in the 1.3.1 stable build pack?
2) how can I set it up to do that? The OP only states that the arrow keys, the enter key, and the esc key can be set up.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1) Are they included in the 1.3.1 stable build pack?
2) how can I set it up to do that? The OP only states that the arrow keys, the enter key, and the esc key can be set up.

1. Yes, there's a dosbox CIA in the 1.3.1 stable 7zip.
2. It should just work, the OP is outdated and was made before the RetroArch team put dosbox on the buildbot, if I recall.

I've not tried to run Windows on any form of 3DS Dosbox, just as a heads up. I ran Fallout for like 5 minutes just to check performance (9 FPS, yay) and if the mouse worked.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
1. Yes, there's a dosbox CIA in the 1.3.1 stable 7zip.
2. It should just work, the OP is outdated and was made before the RetroArch team put dosbox on the buildbot, if I recall.

I've not tried to run Windows on any form of 3DS Dosbox, just as a heads up. I ran Fallout for like 5 minutes just to check performance (9 FPS, yay) and if the mouse worked.

I can't remember if I asked this. But is dynarec possible to add to dosbox?

One other thing: what is the size of win 95? I don't think I would use it that much, but if it is under 1 GB, I would actually keep it on my sd. Just to be able to show friends ^^

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
One other thing: what is the size of win 95? I don't think I would use it that much, but if it is under 1 GB, I would actually keep it on my sd. Just to be able to show friends ^^

A minimal install of Windows 95 took like 10 MB or something, so not much, but since using Windows requires a disk image, you typically would have one that's somewhat large to have room for games. 500MB is probably a good size. A lot of early games and software really weren't that big (since their data were stored on CDROMs typically).

As for dynarec, probably, but one would have to either be made, or ported from Android.

Arseface_TM

Board Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to get Windows 3.1 going, but I have absolutely no idea how to get it to run on this.

95 is cool and all, but 3.1 is supposedly usable. I just don't know how to turn my pile of floppy images into something that works.

P

PaiiNSteven

Just a shot in the dark here, but I found this webpage with a TON of OS' (some are windows based). Maybe some will run faster than the current load times?

Flusteredcustard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I'm curious if anyone has gotten Zelda Classic working on dosbox. It's not super popular but it would be kinda cool if it worked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)