Windows Randomly Soft Freezing

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter what you use to do the disk check, it's always actually done by the Dos and no matter what, no user program has enough priviledges over the Dos for security reasons. Windows and generally only the OS is allowed to interract with it, reason why we get things like CMD or PowerShell. Disk check done during startup is done after the BIOS loads and before Windows does, so no program can interfere with it more than just call for the commands to be executed. The algorithm is exactly the same for those commands. Letting everyone just mess with the command instructions and algorithms would only increase security risks and could cause parts to fail. Better use a code that's guaranteed to work rather than one that may fry parts by accident, right?:P You CAN change the algorithm for disk checks and Dos commands though if you modify the Dos itself or are on OSs with increased functionality such as Ubuntu/Windows 2016/etc. (generally supercomputer/server OSs).

On topic now, thinking about this, I get a feeling the issue is somewhere no one mentioned... It's VERY likely it's the PSU causing the issue, it may suddenly give less charge, not enough to shut down, but enough to cause everything to hang and once something hangs due to low power, even if it goes back to normal it will stay frozen. Did you try pulling out any network cables by the way when it froze last time like I suggested? When it freezes, just pull out the network cable or whatever you are using and if it unfreezes it means that the issue is there. Additionally, do the fans just go crazy and get all loud when it freezes? I got a hunch...
I already tried without my Wifi Adapter it doesnt change anything. No my fans sound like normal they do not go crazy

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I already tried without my Wifi Adapter it doesnt change anything. No my fans sound like normal they do not go crazy
If it was a motherboard issue the fans would go crazy, so you can rule that out. From the sound of it, the most likely cause is the PSU if your computer doesn't experience consistently high part usage (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.), so if you can borrow one from somewhere just to test would help a lot with troubleshooting.

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was a motherboard issue the fans would go crazy, so you can rule that out. From the sound of it, the most likely cause is the PSU if your computer doesn't experience consistently high part usage (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.), so if you can borrow one from somewhere just to test would help a lot with troubleshooting.
On the time it freezes the CPU Usage is at 99% but no Program in the Task Manager uses the CPU they are all at 0%

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the time it freezes the CPU Usage is at 99% but no Program in the Task Manager uses the CPU they are all at 0%

How do you know this if it is frozen? Have you tried disabling everything from booting at start that isn't a Microsoft process, including but not limited to any 3rd party ativirus? I would also try disabling auto defrag, indexing, and windows restore. Did you check the logs as suggested?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you know this if it is frozen? Have you tried disabling everything from booting at start that isn't a Microsoft process, including but not limited to any 3rd party ativirus? I would also try disabling auto defrag, indexing, and windows restore. Did you check the logs as suggested?
I had the Task Manager running before it was frozen and could see it in there. It allowed me to scroll through the processes and everything was at 0%

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Do two things, click at the bottom where it says "show processes from all users" in the "Processes" tab and sort by "CPU" at the top. Then see what's causing it to go to such high usage. List the top items here regardless of if you think they are the cause or not, top 10 items listed should be plenty along with what number is listed with them on the CPU list.

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do two things, click at the bottom where it says "show processes from all users" in the "Processes" tab and sort by "CPU" at the top. Then see what's causing it to go to such high usage. List the top items here regardless of if you think they are the cause or not, top 10 items listed should be plenty along with what number is listed with them on the CPU list.
So now i cant even boot my pc anymore it starts to windows and then Tells me Error: Critical Process Died

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So now i cant even boot my pc anymore it starts to windows and then Tells me Error: Critical Process Died
So you basically get BSOD. What did you last do exactly that could have caused it? Highly doubt just listing the processes like I asked you to caused it:P

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last edited by AbyssalMonkey,

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well since you're going to have to likely end up repairing your install, checking system file integrity probably won't be necessary. I would still run both a disk check and a memory test to make sure neither of those are failing. Someone pointed out that your computer might have a bad PSU, and judging by the DDR2 memory it has, it's probably an older PC anyway, which means things will likely have run awry.

If it comes down to having to replace any of the hardware in the machine, provided you have the flexible budget to do so, I would end up buying an entirely new computer. You're running a decade old machine, which means that you're going to have a hard time finding anything with high enough quality cheap enough to replace. Since you said you use it for work, assessing what it's used for and getting a new machine will be letting it run at least 5x smoother and faster, with productivity being just as high an increase.

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since you're going to have to likely end up repairing your install, checking system file integrity probably won't be necessary. I would still run both a disk check and a memory test to make sure neither of those are failing. Someone pointed out that your computer might have a bad PSU, and judging by the DDR2 memory it has, it's probably an older PC anyway, which means things will likely have run awry.

If it comes down to having to replace any of the hardware in the machine, provided you have the flexible budget to do so, I would end up buying an entirely new computer. You're running a decade old machine, which means that you're going to have a hard time finding anything with high enough quality cheap enough to replace. Since you said you use it for work, assessing what it's used for and getting a new machine will be letting it run at least 5x smoother and faster, with productivity being just as high an increase.
Yes i would already have bought a new one if i had the money for it. I didnt have the need to save up money i have after paying bills and stuff because my PC was working fine and not even slow

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
You see, I build computers for about 25 Years now. Did about 30 Certificates on MS Stuff not to mention on other vendors.
Build and Support hole Server Setup's from 2 too over 100 Clients running over several Servers.

What I can't understand in this Disscusion is that the Obvious thing (and this of cause is the Log) isn't even Mentioned instead he is told to change Registry Entry's, disable Drivers (Wich were running before and never seem to cause a problem), swap HDD's and so on.

I'm on your Side. EVM isn't easy to use but there are several ways to use it. And I find it quit easy to detect simple Things and even more complicated causes. There are things like Filters. But you are right of cause it needs to be used and read correctly Wich might be not so easy as well.

I don't want to offend anyone don't misunderstand me please. But like I said if you have a log, use it. That's what it's there for.

By the way an old school way of troubleshooting is simply disconnect everything and put it back in the system one after each other till the Problem occurs. Then there you go.

Hope nobody feels offended, that isn't my intuition. Just want to show that there are much better ways of troubleshooting than (I love this one) changing registry entry's.

Greetz

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
I've been handling computers practically since I was born, I remember navigating and later configurating things on dos when I was about 4 or 5 (obviously only little things, for my short age). I've learned a lot since then and always prefer repairing things instead of wiping everything and reinstalling like everyone does.
now, while I can diagnose and repair quite effectively, by the way I learned I need to be in front of the pc to "feel" what is wrong with it, so I'm not particularly good at a distance.

while I don't feel particularly offended by what you said, I feel the need to defend my suggestion. I've seen multiple pc's affected by that msi bug in windows 10 making them crawl for no apparent reason. getting rid of that is one of the first things to try if you know you are working with old hardware since windows 10 uses msi no matter what unless you disable it and editing the registry is the only way to do it.

now, to continue trying to help with the issue. we have discarded many possibilities now but I'm concerned that the problem could be the ram or cpu, to take windows completely out of the equation, running a live usb drive with a memory test should be the next step to see if the ram is still good or if it's failing due to old age.

Last edited by Sakitoshi, , Reason: typo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle