Windows95 VM

Simon34545

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently decided to make a Windows 95 (1995) VM on VirtualBox and setup is working fine... until it prompts me to remove floppy disk. I know it is supposed to do this, but when I remove it and I press ok to restart it returns me to DOS, which isn't supposed to happen. Can anyone help me with this? This is the tutorial I'm following: www . how to geek . com/329301/how-to-install-windows-95-in-a-virtual-machine/
(it won't let me put links because I'm new.)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
why not simply use the disc version of 95?

nevermind i could swear the disc was bootable like any windows disc, and according to the link it is not...

Last edited by migles,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as setting up the VM, what I recommend is boot using the bootup disc, and use fdisk to partition your virtual hard drive. Delete any existing partitions, and then just make one large primary partition. Reboot the VM, then format it:
Code:
format C:
After it finishes formatting, make it bootable
Code:
sys C:
Make a new folder called Win95 on the hard drive
Code:
C:
mkdir Win95
and then copy everything from the Win95 folder on your ISO to that directory
Code:
copy D:\Win95\* C:\Win95\

Finally, remove both the floppy and the cd drive and reboot. It should boot off of your virtual hard drive just fine. Then go into your Win95 directory
Code:
cd Win95
and run setup.exe. If you want, you can use setup /? to get a listing of parameters you can use. I usually skip a bunch of things like scandisk and making a boot disk.

An advantage of this is that it will record the installation media in the registry as being the Win95 folder on your virtual hard drive. As long as that folder is there, Windows will never ask you to insert your Windows 95 cd when installing optional components and during certain other operations. It's worth the small amount of space that Win95 folder takes up.

Last edited by RHOPKINS13,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess because i posted this on the main page it got replys so fast?

Umm, just checked and this thread has only received 10 views (and counting) so far, it's not exactly stellar for this forum. I'm guessing anyone who saw it only did so because they saw it on the "Recent Content" panel. I love retro gaming, so when I saw Windows 95 I was intrigued. I used to run Windows 95 on my Original Xbox using Qemu to show off to my friends. There are also ways of booting it on your Wii, 3DS, Nintendo Switch, and Android device, so I was interested in seeing what the thread was about.

Simon34545

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i use
xcopy R:\ C:\INSTALL\ /S
instead of

because
Invalid drive specified

copy R:\Win95\* C:\Win95\
File not found - R:\Win95\*
0 file(s) copied

copy R:\Win95\ * C:\Win95\
Too many paremeters

Simon34545

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where do i download dosbox

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

are. you. blind.

thats the guide i used b4

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can i use
xcopy R:\ C:\INSTALL\ /S
instead of

Ok, it looks like your boot disk is set up so that the first CD drive is R:, that's not a problem. But what is a problem is it looks like your CD has a folder named INSTALL instead of WIN95, that's not normal.

Depends on what you're looking for. Dosbox is free, you can download it from dosbox.com for your PC or if you want to use it on something else you can either use a direct port of it or a retroarch core.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

are. you. blind.

thats the guide i used b4

Sorry, didn’t see realise because of the breaks and you weren’t following it when performing xcopy.

Just remembered, I think I used this guide for dosbox method but it was a pain to use e.g. keyboard issues with dosbox (may be because mine was gb):
https://dsync.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-complete-guide-to-install-windows-95.html

Another option may be to try vmware player which is free non-commercial but I’ve only used the workstation pro version with 3.11 and win98se:
https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player.html

Simon34545

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, it looks like your boot disk is set up so that the first CD drive is R:, that's not a problem. But what is a problem is it looks like your CD has a folder named INSTALL instead of WIN95, that's not normal.

Depends on what you're looking for. Dosbox is free, you can download it from dosbox.com for your PC or if you want to use it on something else you can either use a direct port of it or a retroarch core.
dosbox 3ds
also
i ran setup again with out any floppy disk from start and it still detected one and i restarted which brought me back to dos mode
is there any code i can use to continue setup with out restarting it

oh INSTALL. then where can i find a boot disk where theres no INSTALL

Simon34545

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know what i just found my problem:
so when it says remove floppy disk i thought it just ment Windows95a.img, not that AND Win95.iso
because when i was in dos i just decided out of nowhere to remeve Win95.iso, restart, and watch it hopefully break
instead it got fixed
but i still might not have even thought about it with out creating this thread and getting replies
but if im supposed to have a Win95 folder not INSTALL then i dont know

Simon34545

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bye :D

but still where do i download dosbox for 3ds... oh wow, one of my posts on this thread was removed because of pirated content

i was just about to give up when i made this thread and now im gonna make win98 vm and more :)

IM ABOUT TO INSTALL WINDOWS 3.1 VM IN DOSBOX (PC)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...