ROM Hack [WIP] Dragon Quest VIII (8) "Restoration" Project

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, DQ7 may be overwhelming for new players compared to DQ8 and DQ9, but DQ9 for example has no endgame due to servers going down and now the only way to unlock it is hex editing the save.

DQ8 is really just the most entry friendly.
I might have to start a PM with you about DQ9... I have some questions. I have always been interested in that one, but told myself I would play the others first :wacko:

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might have to start a PM with you about DQ9... I have some questions. I have always been interested in that one, but told myself I would play the others first :wacko:
You probably know this already, but there's little continuity between the games plot-wise. Whichever one you start with is fine. 9 was a lot of fun, but like canzah said the servers went down, so all of the post-game stuff is essentially inaccessible. And tbh that was a lot of the fun of playing. Still a great game, and definitely worth playing though if only to play as vegeta in a dragon quest game =P(you'll see what I mean with the character creation thing)

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Asia81 : You can already share a version if you want, I have nothing against that :)

But don't forget to say it's a beta version, which only have ~90% of the voices replaced for now and which might crash. Reporting the missing voices for now is not really useful as I'll find them in my own playthrough but if someone find a crash, then say them it's interesting to report the crash! (with a save made with JKSM).

By the way, a little preview :

(Bad quality, captured with a smartphone and uploaded from it, so video is locked at 240p).

Reactions: toto621 and hiten

LoneFlo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
All our changes are done purely through textures

What do you mean ? Model editing is possible.

I just checked, to be sure (reduced Jessica's breasts)
yfuQ7fY.png
GpS76iD.png

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Ok, so I managed to get the strap more or less perfect on the back, now I need to do the sides and make it actually wrap nicely.

fpwyml.png

Edit:
And front part of the strap done, now I just need to make the front and back parts link nicely, then change the color of the skin to match and we will have a fully properly uncensored Magic Bikini outfit.
ndynnm.png
nice job bro, when u done can u also release a ntr plugin? it's too tired to reinstall full game :P

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe there's an Action Replay code that can unlock the post-game content, but alternatively you can also use this save editor to unlock it:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-ix-save-editor.239740/
It's basically the only way to unlock that content now that servers are dead.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What do you mean ? Model editing is possible.

I just checked, to be sure (reduced Jessica's breasts)
yfuQ7fY.png
GpS76iD.png
Moving vertices is not the same as adding new ones, and at the moment it's impossible to add any extra vertices/polygons from what I know because Ohana shits itself if you try adding anything.
And the stuff we'd need to do is not manipulate existing vertices since what we have right now doesn't need modifying.
We'd need to add extra surfaces for the straps for example rather than painting them on the texture like I did right now.

Also, anyone know how can I change a texture type in a model? I managed to fully uncensor the Dancer (having the leg exposed on the right side of the skirt) but Dancer's model has ETC1 type textures which don't allow alpha layer and as such it doesn't work ingame. I'd need to change it to ETC1A4 but I don't know how, so if anyone with 3DS model/texture expertise could help, we could solve that problem otherwise Dancer will never be fully uncensored (though I guess I could manipulate the vertices of the skirt to create a gap if worst comes to be).

Also here's the bikini outfit fully uncensored and ingame:
tqpawi.png

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if we are all posting our little wishlists, I will post mine too.
1. The english font is blurry... get that. The original english font that the translators used is blurry. So a new font would be nice.
2. Uncensored costumes/super saiyan main character model
3. Original soundtrack (orchestrated). But I have heard that its too loud, not worth it.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. The english font is blurry... get that. The original english font that the translators used is blurry. So a new font would be nice.
3. Original soundtrack (orchestrated). But I have heard that its too loud, not worth it.

What is 2 oO ?
Is there a super sayan outfits, wtf ?

3 is already done

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sneak peak of the almost done Bunny outfit.
erbvbu.png

@1 I've been thinking of trying the DQ7 3DS font
@2 Not doable unless someone could convert the PS2 model
@3 You can change volume in game options

Reactions: BORTZ

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Super Saiyan hairstyle was something that was exclusive to EU/US PS2 version for marketing purposes.
There's still a different model for high tension, just one that's faithful to the original Japanese version as designed by Akira Toriyama:
duovrd.png

With that said, I'd love to get the Super Saiyan hair model converted, but that is beyond my realm of expertise.

Last edited by Canzah,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, thats just a wishlist of mine. I plan on playing the game at least once without dicking with it. The only thing I might be temped to mess with is the font. It actually hurts my eyes.

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like I said, thats just a wishlist of mine. I plan on playing the game at least once without dicking with it. The only thing I might be temped to mess with is the font. It actually hurts my eyes.
If it's any consolation, that font is only for dialogues.
Menus and combat use a different font.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious