brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey @Dr.Hacknik, maybe you should first actually work on this before you'd open up a thread.
I've seen this go down the shitter quicker then I expected.

Just a friendly word of advice.
Well, when you label something as [RELEASE] and about the only code changes are to the credits, it is to be expected ...

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Good Job @Dr.Hacknik you made it very clear that this isn't out and all the features shown are just planned. I also love how you have no proof that half of these are possible.

I just hate the boot splash on my wii u. It looks like you tried to make it look good and failed badly.

I'm sorry but please don't post release threads where 99% of the features aren't even added and you state in the first post that this isn't released yet even though you aded release to the title.

You clearly don't understand cfw. Rxtools is something old and outdated. Mocha is not outdated at all.
Frappaccino's goal is more closer to Corbenik being an advanced cfw for devs and powerusers. Luma3ds being noob friendly isn't like this at all.

You didn't have to be sarcastic. I appreciate your concerns and criticism. I will address any issues; and I can say that work will be done.

From my point of view this is exactly what you are, a naive amateur. I'll keep an eye on that github and will wait commits that really add something. Have you even read the entire code of mocha and understood it? And please show me dimok's permission to change the GPL licence. If he really allowed then probably because he doesnt care what you since he doesnt take you seriously.
Naive, well, I am almost 17. Amateur is far from what I am. If your trying to crush peoples ambitions and hopes, then you don't know how to critique.
Also, and I quote, is the message that @dimok sent me: http://i.imgur.com/k5a9Vin.png

Someone just close this already.. come back when u have it done!!
Closing is not necessary; just ignore the thread until work has been pushed.

I have a question before testing when it's out:

I'm a bit confused. Are these features in the CFW now (or the first release build you mentioned releasing soon) or are they things that are going to be?
Those features are more as goals. I am planning most of them out, and I am working to get them integrated. The release may take some time be ready.

Hey @Dr.Hacknik, maybe you should first actually work on this before you'd open up a thread.
I've seen this go down the shitter quicker then I expected.

Just a friendly word of advice.
I appreciate your concern! I will only report back after work is done.

This goes to everyone:

I apologize for any concerns, confusion, or hatred. But, please keep the pitch forks away for now. Just ignore this thread, until I have a release ready to go. I'll report back if any work is submitted/pushed to Github. I don't mind criticism and concerns; but, GBATemp is known for it's bad reputation of hate, and the whole "You have no experience. You're just trolling!" ~False, I am NOT trolling, and I am being honest. I have made mistakes in the past, and naive may be the answer to that. I am growing as a developer and hope to one day become a better one at that. I apologize for anything that's considered trolling, false, or over-hyped that came crashing down. I truly am sorry. I will respect your opinions, but please respect mine! I will embrace your advice, and use it. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not so much the "you don't have experience" part. It's the "posting concepts without any idea how to execute them or even some evidence that you've done something" part. The git repository listed in the first post has virtually nothing other than some menu changes and a bunch of logo "updates".

As an example, one of the first screenshots I posted for my ROM Properties project was this one: rom-properties.2016-07-23.c6b53b25.nds-icons.png - it basically shows exactly what the project does. The commits also have actual code changes instead of just fussing around with a logo.

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Im jealous about how clear you are with your goals, and a thread is a good idea to keep that clear, gonna watch the thread to see progress, it looks very promising

Dr.Hacknik

OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
It's not so much the "you don't have experience" part. It's the "posting concepts without any idea how to execute them or even some evidence that you've done something" part. The git repository listed in the first post has virtually nothing other than some menu changes and a bunch of logo "updates".

As an example, one of the first screenshots I posted for my ROM Properties project was this one: rom-properties.2016-07-23.c6b53b25.nds-icons.png - it basically shows exactly what the project does. The commits also have actual code changes instead of just fussing around with a logo.
True, but I am currently only creating menus and such. I'll start integrating homebrew and other code soon.

Reactions: iAqua
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think the real code of the issue here is simply the [release] tag.
I don't know about you, @Dr.Hacknik, but I've made a hell of a lot of crap that never got anywhere. As I was making them, however, I could've sworn that these projects were the future, I could quote off lists of features just like the ones in the OP. When the code was going down on the page, I was invincible, the product would be perfect and finished in record time. It was all going to go well, so well that I even started setting myself deadlines for features.

Then the inevitable would happen. URetro hit a brick wall to do with memory allocation. Both SuperDuperSecretProjects, pineapple and EmUl8 all had similar applications made by someone else to a far higher standard before I could get anywhere. LiteNESU was never worth continuing. MakeMeAHeap simply never got used.

Out of these projects, only one got a release thread (LiteNESU) and one had a thread made by someone else to track development (URetro). LiteNESU got one because at that point, I was comfortable with the product and felt it was ready for users (insanity, right?) I didn't really get a choice in URetro, but it was always clear that the project was very much a work in progress.

The thing is, what seems to be going on here is a thread dedicated to something like those other projects without the nature of the project being clear. Threads dedicated to tracking development are awesome. In fact, the URetro thread is a pretty good example of how to do that. However it really wasn't a release, and I was still able to drop the project when shit hit the fan. The response was understanding, not anger.
My worry is that you're kinda locked into this project if you leave this thread like this - by stating it's a release along with a bunch of features, people become expectant, entitled even. From what I gather, this seems to be one of your first projects that runs on the Wii U (which is awesome!) but that also tells me you don't really know what you'll find. There's nothing wrong with that, but you do have to be honest with yourself, lest you find yourself a rude awakening and having to deal with a bunch of expectant homebrewers.

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

adamnewy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forking a project which has only been out officially for less than a few days isn't exactly the best way to have a well supported custom firmware (which, as stated in the post, is one of your goals). At least give the original project creator some justice by attempting to contribute back before forking it to a different name, stripping his name off and making it a footnote. Also separate planned features from actual features, it's really misleading.

At least people are trying to release things, when will your CFW ever be released? all you guys did was stall and pretend you were working on stuff and in doing so delayed the scene from taking off. But hey, at least you trademarked the word "soon".

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Uh.... one thing - I don't want to sound rude, but... isn't this like... the second project you've forked AND publicly posted about before making any relevant changes this week? It's not usually a good idea to do so.

Reactions: brienj and VinsCool

Dr.Hacknik

OP
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I think the real code of the issue here is simply the [release] tag.
I don't know about you, @Dr.Hacknik, but I've made a hell of a lot of crap that never got anywhere. As I was making them, however, I could've sworn that these projects were the future, I could quote off lists of features just like the ones in the OP. When the code was going down on the page, I was invincible, the product would be perfect and finished in record time. It was all going to go well, so well that I even started setting myself deadlines for features.

Then the inevitable would happen. URetro hit a brick wall to do with memory allocation. Both SuperDuperSecretProjects, pineapple and EmUl8 all had similar applications made by someone else to a far higher standard before I could get anywhere. LiteNESU was never worth continuing. MakeMeAHeap simply never got used.

Out of these projects, only one got a release thread (LiteNESU) and one had a thread made by someone else to track development (URetro). LiteNESU got one because at that point, I was comfortable with the product and felt it was ready for users (insanity, right?) I didn't really get a choice in URetro, but it was always clear that the project was very much a work in progress.

The thing is, what seems to be going on here is a thread dedicated to something like those other projects without the nature of the project being clear. Threads dedicated to tracking development are awesome. In fact, the URetro thread is a pretty good example of how to do that. However it really wasn't a release, and I was still able to drop the project when shit hit the fan. The response was understanding, not anger.
My worry is that you're kinda locked into this project if you leave this thread like this - by starting it's a release along with a bunch of features, people become expectant, entitled even. From what I gather, this seems to be one of your first projects that runs on the Wii U (which is awesome!) but that also tells me you don't really know what you'll find. There's nothing wrong with that, but you do have to be honest with yourself, lest you find yourself a rude awakening and having to deal with a bunch of expectant homebrewers.
Thanks for your concerns, I'll take them into account.
Uh.... one thing - I don't want to sound rude, but... isn't this like... the second project you've forked AND publicly posted about before making any relevant changes this week? It's not usually a good idea to do so.
First one is a private project.

P

PaiiNSteven

Love how everyones getting their names off of the starbucks menu.
Great work as always.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks for your concerns, I'll take them into account.

First one is a private project.
I already stated my opinion on that, but it is irrelevant to the matter. It's not... a very smart thing to do regardless of how many times you've already done it.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bullshit. This shouldn't be labeled as "[Release]" when nothing has been developed yet. Just change the title of the thread and I'm sure people wouldn't be objecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong