With backups, how much is too much?

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd like us to set aside the whole piracy morality thing for a moment because we will not agree and it gets in the way of discussion, but admittedly it's pretty intertwined.
Disclosure: I own a New 3DS XL, Wii U, Switch, Xbox One S, and have a PS3 on the way. Only the Wii U is hacked, but only the vWii side with the Wii u side being untampered with. I have decently sized collections for all systems, all Digital for the exception of Wii Fit U and Botw for Switch. I was going to hack the PS3 but it ended up being more difficult that I thought, and the exclusives I don't already own are dirt cheap anyways.

I was just on a thread where someone wanted to hook up a 4TB drive to a Wii because it just barely holds their entire Wii and Gamecube library. That was surprising to me, as my entire Wii and gamecube library of games I want to play fits onto a 512GB SD card.

My question is this: If you really wanted to load a bunch of games to your system, would you keep a smaller curated list of games you like or know to be good, or would you indiscriminately download the entire library, even the awful games? To me the short list allows you to more easily organize and access the games you want to play, while a comprehensive list is far more difficult to organize, and if you are banking on finding "gems in the rough" you are more likely to miss them amidst a plethora of terrible or bland games - or even games that you get halfway only to find out it's corrupted.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Some people just need to have it all even though they NEVER plan to touch it. There could be 2 reasons for this.
1. They are just horders
2. Preservation.

Some will share it, some will keep it in there private collection, me I just download what I want no more or less.

Reactions: DarthDub

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always keep backups of backups of my main backups. And then backup those backups.

You know, just to be on the safe side.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was younger I had the full snes and nes library on my computer - and it allowed me to find some pretty cool games that I probably wouldn't have played otherwise.

But - unless you have all the time in the world (like a kid has) a full library is much too large to be practically played through.

That said though - as long as it's searchable it's not going to be a hindrance if it's there just to look cool. Which it does look cool - and it will impress normies to say you have the entire library of games.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If doing it for unlimited trial versions, I get anything that sounds interesting then delete at some later point depending on opinion (and generally buy the original once I get near the end)

If doing it for the true Backup spirit, keep anything, duh - while I haven't updated it in a year (that's how much I care now for 3DS), I think I have cias of almost every application on entire European 3DS eShop with a known titlekey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay