Wonder, The Android-Based Nintendo Switch Competitor, Announced

wonder.jpg

If you haven't heard of Wonder before, don't worry, neither have I!

This cryptic new device comes from a secretive tech startup of the same name based in Los Angeles. Unlike gaming smartphones like the Red Magic or the Black Shark or even the Android-powered OUYA home console, the Wonder plans to be something different, somewhat bridging the two...

Their eventual product will consist of a smartphone, dock, controller, and access to software services that will allow access to games and other media features. What about the Nintendo Switch competitor part? That has to do, as you might have guessed, with the dock. The latter will allow gamers to enjoy their game on big screens by placing the smartphone into the dedicated slot on the controller. While Android-based, the smartphone will run a custom version, called WonderOS, allowing the company to overclock the phone’s graphics processor to beam the display to a television when docked, à la Nintendo Switch.

The Verge had an exclusive first look at a prototype of the device and described it as "what looks like a standard Android smartphone [...], sleek, square cornered, and sports a massive screen". Unfortunately, no pictures were available at the time of writing.

The company has quite the ambitious vision for its product, hoping that the Wonder device "will be the centerpiece of an entertainment ecosystem for gamers and gadget heads who are fans of forward-looking tech".

However, with all that has been revealed, there is still a lot of information missing about this ambitious device. For one, it does not even have an official name. No news about the device's and services' cost whatsoever nor did they reveal the specs of the phone itself. What we do know is that Wonder is on track to come out next year.

Andy Kleinman, the CEO and co-founder of secretive startup Wonder, further adds that the phone might not even be developed and branded by Wonder either. “We’re talking with companies that are making high-end flagships about putting out software on them, similar to Roku,” he says, speaking to The Verge. “It’s more like an OS, which is why we can’t say that anyone with a smartphone can do this. There are still ways that we can have other devices be Wonder-enabled and there are certain threshold of specs that you have to have.”

“The Switch did a really good job starting with the idea of portability, but there’s a lot of limitations on the Switch,” he says. "With Wonder, think about building a portable gaming and entertainment type platform that can deliver any type of game.”

Kleinman says further added that his team has been in talks with Valve about Steam support and game streaming. With the recent announcement of the upcoming Steam Link app which will allow gamers to stream their Steam library games to any smarthphone running the app, this might entice a wider audience. In the interview with The Verge, Kleinman said that his team is in talks with game developers about making Wonder-optimized versions of console and PC titles that run on Android and support both controller and touchscreen play.

As such, rather than being an actual hardware, Wonder aims to build a mobile-console hybrid gaming ecosystem that is potentially not restricted to one hardware manufacturer but available to Wonder-ready devices that suits the user's needs and unleash further power with its peripherals.

“What we’re doing is not super hard. We’re not trying to create Magic Leap-style revolutionary tech nobody has ever seen,” Kleinman says confidently. “We’re just trying to put together a great experience, in the way Apple does it.”

I wonder... is it reminiscent to the OUYA to you or do you think that the time has come for a true Android-based home console-handheld hybrid?

:arrow: SOURCE

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If their product is quite literally "ARM powered device that slides vertically into a dock with detachable controllers on either side that slide on and off" then they're going to get sued to hell and back by Nintendo. And it'd be totally justified, because they have the parents to back them up this time around

Nisem0n0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mobile gaming is trash no matter what you make. Literally all just oversaturated gacha games or townbuilders. The last mobile game I even played was dragon quest iv port and the only reason was for the party chat otherwise would have just played on ds

Reactions: Brawl345

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, that was exciting to hear the first time about it and also the last time ;)

I just leave this here, uncommented:
“What we’re doing is not super hard. We’re not trying to create Magic Leap-style revolutionary tech nobody has ever seen,” Kleinman says confidently. “We’re just trying to put together a great experience, in the way Apple does it.”

Last edited by VitaType,

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This cryptic new device comes from a secretive tech startup of the same name based in Los Angeles. Unlike gaming smartphones like the Red Magic or the Black Shark or even the Android-powered OUYA home console, the Wonder plans to be something different, somewhat bridging the two...

So like the Nvidia Shield Project.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I found it odd as well but that's how it was described in the original piece. Maybe they are fans of the Dreamcast VMU...
Maybe.. Could also be misinterpreting it? I'm reading it as a miracast kind of deal where it wirelessly streams to a compatible TV or adapter. Which to me is just... Dumb...

Reactions: Prans

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason Nintendo was able to make a tablet-like device is because they make a lot of games. Only another publisher really has any chance to do the same thing, but I doubt anyone wants to risk it--it's consistently turned bad for everyone whose went up against Nintendo in the handheld space.
I just want the games on the system to have controller support. Not feel like I'm still playing a touch screen game. Fortunately I use shield tv now which is far better than ouya and has actual console game ports even if some are rather old, still even with nvidia game stream or the cloud gaming service helps boost the range of content. I felt ouya may have tried to open the box for developers to create original content but didn't really try to commit them to make games designed for a home console setting, most of how early sega genesis games was arcade ports and games still play like if it was just a arcade with focus on high scores, no saves, limited lives and continues and games that didn't last too long until they started doing that later in the console life. :unsure:

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
most of how early sega genesis games was arcade ports and games still play like if it was just a arcade with focus on high scores, no saves, limited lives and continues and games that didn't last too long until they started doing that later in the console life.

Funny, that's precisely the story of the Sega Saturn. It's also the reason the Saturn has one of the best collections of shoot'em ups of any console. :)

Reactions: Eddypikachu
D

Deleted User

If they want this to take off they should make a dedicated gaming device first with smartphone abilities second and get developers on board for the dedicated device. Not a custom Android firmware and a dock for overclocking games designed for non gaming hardware that noone wants to play in their living room.

The Nokia N-Gauge flopped in part due to it's design being based too much on the phone aspect.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Lol, that is hilarious. :rofl2:

You know the true reason behind Switch success wasn't it design, right? From the start Switch is just normal tablet with ability to stream on tv, even joy-con are just "very creative bluetooth controller" so there is nothing special about Switch design.

The true reason for it success is Nintendo™ games. That is the sole reason people want it, for thing like BotW, Bayonetta, Splatoon, Kirby, Mario, Pokemon... not for a glorify tablet that can stream on tv. I would love to see who would want to buy a basically an OUYA with worst game library on the market.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1