Wood Firmwares v1.29

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
twiztidsinz said:
You can get an older version of the source (unsure of which version, but it's from Oct 28th 2010) here: http://www.mediafire.com/?yt1bq41r6w7b5mm
Source of the file is from Xenon++/Taiju Yamada's page. Xenon++/Taiju Yamada didn't use GPL unless it was something derived from GPL (Like WAIO).
Version 1.15 going by the dates.
--------------------

Cheers for the update YWG!
grog.gif

(will not get involved with the war going on, but Rydian is right people)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
z.g said:
all derivatives from other people. developer itself can do with his sources everything.The author himself ignoring the terms of the GPL is a separate concept from removing the GPL from something as it pertains to other people. YWG has given no indication that it's no longer GPL'd, and I have e-mailed about 4-5 messages back and forth with him where he is using the temrs of the GPL itself to defend him (which would not make sense if the GPL did not apply to this work).

My concern (for like the 8 millionth fucking time) is if GBAtemp hosting it is a GPL violation.

QUOTE(A Gay Little Catboy @ Apr 30 2011, 05:49 PM) I know, but I still will not change my standing on this topic.
That's because you don't understand what's going on, I edited my previous post to state that.

z.g

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
This is not personal attack shit
it is. i have proof. here and here is my complains about real gpl violation. you post in this topic, so you read this. and there is no any reaction from you. so this attack is personal.

Bunie

#1 Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
z.g said:
Rydian said:
it is. i have proof. here and here is my complains about real gpl violation. you post in this topic, so you read this. and there is no any reaction from you. so this attack is personal.
We arent talking about wood derivatives. >->
I'm not exactly understanding Rydians Point, but i know he's not talking about what people do with it, he's talking about the legality of it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
z.g said:
Rydian said:
Wait, so you're saying this is a personal attack because other things have been violations without being touched? If you believe there's other violations happening on the site, contact a staff member with proof like you posted and ask for it to be removed. Nothing else came of your post so I assumed somebody else was handing it, and then forgot because frankly I didn't pay any attention to that cart.

As it is the staff doesn't seem to want to remove violations like this, and that's the reason this stuff is still here, and that's what I'm arguing against.

This should be a SIMPLE ISSUE because GPL binaries are being distributed without the source, but everybody's trying to deflect as much shit as they can so Wood can stay.

As things stand now (Wood appears to be still under the GPL), if the sources are available, Wood can stay. If they are not it should be removed.

And yes, this goes for ports of it as well.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
z.g said:
Rydian said:
You never said that before.here.
QUOTE said:
The notices about the GPL are gone, but the GPL states that derivatives must all be GPL'd, and earlier Wood versions were clearly GPL'd, so the current versions must be, too.all derivatives from other people. developer itself can do with his sources everything.
Except the GPL, at the base of this issue, doesn't matter since YWG had no right to change the license to GPL.
And he violated the MIT/AceKard license when he distributed it without the MIT/AceKard license.

z.g said:
QUOTE(Rydian @ May 1 2011, 12:47 AM)
That was not a personal attack.
If someone made an actual personal attack against you, based on how big of a deal you're making over what Rydian said, you'd be in the corner crying your little eyes out.

z.g

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
This should be a SIMPLE ISSUE because GPL binaries are being distributed without the sourcewhere? this is not gpl binaries.
QUOTEStrictly speaking, the GPL is a license from the developer for others to use, distribute and change the program.
in case then somebody get wood souces and compile it and share at filetrip there is gpl violation. if this was true you was a right. but in our case there is only one person — ywg. to violate gpl we need at least two persons. but ywg only one. this is main thing that you can't (or dont want) understand. any license regulate things between two sides. but we have only one side. so no place for gpl in this situation.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
I'm done saying the same shit 80 times, I'm just going to drop it until the staff comes to a decision.
The best post of this entire thread. I am relieved.
rofl.gif
Considering I've got YWG via e-mail asking me who's paying me to do this it's obvious that people don't want to be diplomatic about this, so I'm just going to discuss with staff what to do since nobody else wants to cooperate.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
I'm done saying the same shit 80 times, I'm just going to drop it until the staff comes to a decision.
rofl.gif
Considering I've got YWG via e-mail asking me who's paying me to do this it's obvious that people don't want to be diplomatic about this, so I'm just going to discuss with staff what to do since nobody else wants to cooperate.
Sigh.

I'm getting pretty tired of it myself.

I would want to tell him off for saying that though.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
For everybody who wants to keep arguing this back and forth, you need to understand the entire chain of licenses involved, from the very beginning, in order to understand how this whole thing works.

First of all, the ORIGINAL DEVELOPER of a particular software is not bound by the license which they place on their own software. However, in order to understand who that is in a particular instance you have to know what that software may have derived from previously.

First of all, you have the Acekard RPG source. This was used as the base code source for many firmwares, both open and closed. The MIT license under which they were released allows any other person to modify, redistribute, and even relicense derivative works as long as they include a copy of the MIT license. Technically, any flash cart firmware based on the RPG source which doesn't include a copy of that license is violating it, but that's beside the point.

At this point, you have derivative firmwares which use the RPG source. The authors of these firmwares are required to submit to the MIT license, but are then allowed to modify the RPG source and relicense the derivative work in any way they like, including closed-source, commercial applications. In the case of WoodR4, YWG decided to license it under the GPL, requiring any derivatives created by ANY OTHER AUTHOR to conform to the GPL. If you want to use the original MIT license then you can still derive from the original RPG source, but cannot use any components from Wood unless you conform to the GPL.

YWG, as the author of Wood, has the option of relicensing his own software at any time. He cannot relicense the older versions which have already been released under the GPL, but he can change the license for any new versions, because he is the copyright owner. By removing sources to the versions prior to relicensing, YWG violates the GPL, but that is also beside the point.

Now what is currently unclear is whether YWG has actually relicensed Wood as closed-source or whether he is simply ignoring his own license. He is well within his rights to do either, but if the latter is the case, then that is a rather hypocritical move considering that license violations were his primary reason for removing the source in the first place. It is this final question which Rydian is concerned with. If Wood has been relicensed as closed-source, then there is no issue for GBATemp. If, however, Wood is still licensed as GPL and YWG is simply releasing it in violation of his own license, then although YWG can do whatever he wants, GBATemp cannot host the binary releases without also hosting the source, even if it is impossible to obtain those sources. This catch-22 situation is the reason Rydian is trying to determine if Wood has in-fact been relicensed.

The fact is, YWG can do whatever he wants (although he should be including the MIT license with his Wood releases), but GBATemp cannot. Whine all you want, that won't get you the source. I too am disappointed at this move, since it means I can't continue my EZFlash 3in1 v2/v3 patch, but it's out of my hands, and it's out of yours too. Rydian, I hope you get an answer soon
yaynds.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Duskye said:
Rydian said:
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
I'm done saying the same shit 80 times, I'm just going to drop it until the staff comes to a decision.The best post of this entire thread. I am relieved.
rofl.gif

Sigh.

Yep... There went ALL respect for YWG I had.

QUOTE(qwertymodo @ Apr 30 2011, 06:56 PM)
For everybody who wants to keep arguing this back and forth, you need to understand the entire chain of licenses involved, from the very beginning, in order to understand how this whole thing works.

First of all, the ORIGINAL DEVELOPER of a particular software is not bound by the license which they place on their own software. However, in order to understand who that is in a particular instance you have to know what that software may have derived from previously.

First of all, you have the Acekard RPG source. This was used as the base code source for many firmwares, both open and closed. The MIT license under which they were released allows any other person to modify, redistribute, and even relicense derivative works as long as they include a copy of the MIT license. Technically, any flash cart firmware based on the RPG source which doesn't include a copy of that license is violating it, but that's beside the point.
Uh... no?
You cannot relicense any works since that would defeat the purpose of the license they were released under because you could then "relicense" it as whatever you want, including a closed source license.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.phpQUOTE
Copyright ©

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.
Sublicense means to continue the grant of a license. For example:
Tom Smith writes an application and releases it under the MIT license listed above.
John Doe takes that code and modifies, updates and improves it. The MIT license grants him license to do so.
Jim Shorts can now take John Does code and modify it since he is sublicensed to do so (John Doe being the Licensee, Jim Shorts being the Sublicensee).
And I believe that this would continue for as many hands as it passed through so long as it follows the conditions of the MIT license.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Duskye said:
Rydian said:
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
I'm done saying the same shit 80 times, I'm just going to drop it until the staff comes to a decision.The best post of this entire thread. I am relieved.
rofl.gif

Sigh.

Yep... There went ALL respect for YWG I had.

QUOTE(qwertymodo @ Apr 30 2011, 06:56 PM)

Uh... no?
You cannot relicense any works since that would defeat the purpose of the license they were released under because you could then "relicense" it as whatever you want, including a closed source license.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.phpQUOTE
Copyright ©

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.
Sublicense means to continue the grant of a license. For example:
Tom Smith writes an application and releases it under the MIT license listed above.
John Doe takes that code and modifies, updates and improves it. The MIT license grants him license to do so.
Jim Shorts can now take John Does code and modify it since he is sublicensed to do so (John Doe being the Licensee, Jim Shorts being the Sublicensee).
And I believe that this would continue for as many hands as it passed through so long as it follows the conditions of the MIT license.
Ditto.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
rofl.gif
How can we cooperate? I want to help but I don't see how much use I could be in this whole matter.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefan5 said:
Rydian said:
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
rofl.gif
How can we cooperate? I want to help but I don't see how much use I could be in this whole matter.
Just try and be diplomatic about this.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Duskye said:
gamefan5 said:
Rydian said:
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
rofl.gif
Just try and be diplomatic about this.
Will try.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Yep... There went ALL respect for YWG I had.He's not a native english speaker from what I know, so it could very well be a saying along the lines of a strong "Why are you doing this?"

It's easy to see why he'd be upset that now suddenly people seem to care, but I have been asking questions about this for weeks and I didn't get an answer until the first post of this thread (YWG's quote about the sources), which is when I decided to actually e-mail him.

QUOTE(gamefan5 @ Apr 30 2011, 07:30 PM) How can we cooperate? I want to help but I don't see how much use I could be in this whole matter.
I didn't mean people like you who aren't involved in the matter, and I'm sorry for making such a big mess about it publicly, but sometimes shit just doesn't get done until you make a scene, 'ya know?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Could this be what has to be done to make Wood releases legit on this site again? (if they weren't legit in the first place)

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

ywg.JPG

It's funny to think about, but could it work?
I think it'd be hypocritical to say otherwise because we handle other CR'ed code that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4