• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,106
  • Replies 3
  • Likes 4
D

Deleted User

OP

Developed by FabTek and Source Research & Development, the WorkBoy was thought to have been released in limited numbers in 1992.
The WorkBoy is made up of two parts, the keyboard peripheral and a cartridge.
Keyboard was the input method, and had clock functionality.
Cartridge provided the software, which could function as a day planner, clock, calendar, and more in the pre-smartphone, and even pre-PDA era.
WorkBoy was never actually brought to market, it was canceled late in development due to the incoming price cut of the GameBoy, which would have made the peripheral more expensive than the base hardware, as it was intending to retail at $89.95.
One of, if not the only, Workboy prototype in existence was in the hands of Frank Ballouz, the founder of FabTek, who mailed it out to Liam Robertson.
Only thing missing was the cartridge.
That got solved with the Nintendo Gigaleak, as one of the releases included the code for the WorkBoy.
Liam Robertson burned it to the cartridge and was able to test the WorkBoy as it was intended 28 years ago.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a little PDA cart for the GBC later in the lifetime for it. Wanted one but £15 was a fair bit of money to me back then.
Didn't know such a thing was toyed with, though give the gameboy sewing machine thing I am not entirely surprised.

Reactions: KimKong

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/rP_yWoH_Nxs?si=7CcXIGsDb26QQ5Fo