OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
NewoZero Beta v3.83 - download link

- new track mini map in the top right of the screen. turn it on/off in options menu. should I make it show by default?
- there are more signs especially 3s and quad signs.
- performance improvements, silky smooth while using less cpu

let me know if the map is too small. green is you and red is the track end

- When you crash out the retry screen now shows a little map of how far you got before you died. Similar to rad racer on the nes. Totally useless but fun little addition.

ID-boot_2023-10-28_20-54-42.png
ID-boot_2023-10-28_20-55-43.png
ID-boot_2023-10-28_21-16-31.png

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Here is some more debug footage I made last week when I was making some changes to the sign code. I auto post silent videos like this on my youtube once a day. The reason behind the change was to remove the "frame" of the sign so that I could merge it into the "background". So now the frame and the background are one texture instead of the 2. Of course this is all technical background stuff. But it is useful if you want to mod the signs in the game and are wondering wtf is going on with the texture.

In the end the signs will look exactly the same. Only difference is that you will see a new type of sign with 2,3,or 6 signs in one frame. Currently about 256 signs are shown at anyone time but there are roughly 900+ on each level

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
The buildings are really pretty!!

I had a few tests with putting grids on the buildings in the past but I think I may have finally figured out how to texture them so that they dont all look the same. Now they better blend in with the theme of the game. Even though the game is kinda becoming its own theme in a way. Current beta has all the updates and let me know if runs at 4k with no culling on your pc.

1699145873333.png
1699145911435.png

1699146242572.png

Last edited by newo,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I'd leave it on by default for new players and if they don't like it turn it off. More in line with a commercial release if you get me! Is there a free button to assign it to for in game toggling?

Reactions: newo

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Personally I'd leave it on by default for new players and if they don't like it turn it off. More in line with a commercial release if you get me! Is there a free button to assign it to for in game toggling?
I haven't played the game myself yet (planning on it though) but I'd probably make the - (minus) button toggle the mini-map in-game, since it feels like it'd be an alright button for both using the Wii remote vertically with a Nunchuk or horizontally like an NES controller.

Reactions: Lostbhoy and newo

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Finishing up the testing on this. Going to drop it next month.

Gonna finish up the v4 change log, write a blog post for the change log, do some new screenshots, record some footage for the trailor, find somebody to edit the trailer.

I wonder if I should change the starting difficulty back to normal instead of easy?

Post automatically merged:

If you have a new feature request for NewoZero v4 now is the best time to ask because I have like 3 weekends before I ship it full public. Also beta testers let me know if I broke anything on Wii, vWii or @Dolphin_Emu

Last edited by newo,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
did you download the latest beta? because the betas dont auto update. You have to re-download every time.

I fixed the NPC collisions

Yeah, I meant to add the collisions are cool! Sent a car flying off and another exploded... I have a new game mode now.... Demolition Derby :rofl2:

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
did you download the latest beta? because the betas dont auto update. You have to re-download every time.

I fixed the NPC collisions

If I could, I'd make a small companion app to update it honestly, but that'd probably be hard to code. Especially considering that I don't know C/C++ yet...

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Would be nice if the betas had an update option.

The updating setup is a bit complicated and since these betas are so random. it wasn't really worth the time to set it all up just for the few people that actually have the time to beta test these random builds.

I don't really want to disrupt the people playing the current version of the game. Most don't really care about updates or betas. With homebrew the version you get is often the final version. I just practice to release fast then add things over time - time which is unpredictable.

Last edited by newo,

newo

OP
Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hey, yall
I am still trying to get this out for this month. I am doing a little polishing of some bugs that have been annoying me over the past couple of weeks.

bugs;
* you do not get the end stage bonus on the final stage. FIXED

changes;
* you'll now get extra points if you pass very close to another vehicle. This is for the high score hunters.
* wiimote rumble is OFF by default
* new start loading screen animation
* new scene transitions
* new level select screen
* new retry/continue screen

Last edited by newo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: either that or someone forgot their schizophrenia meds