Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
p1ngpong said:
Minox_IX said:
Worst D-Pad ever? Is there even any doubt?

Gamecube is the clear winner with one of the worst D-pads ever, but luckily almost no games used the D-pad for anything important.

Nintendo basically just used that D-pad as four extra buttons, they never intended anyone to use it for normal D-pad functions, just crap like changing camera angles or whatever. Apart from the left analogue stick on the GC pad I cant think of anything on it that wasnt a stupid idea, worst controller ever!
I liked the shell of the controller, it felt good in my hands.

...now the buttons are a different story. Urrrgh.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AXYPB said:
I could never get the feel of the original DS' D-pad.

The Gamecube D-pad is the worst one. Have you tried playing Super Punch-Out (unlockable on Fight Night Round 2) on that? Analog support isn't present on that so it was almost unplayable.

joking, right?

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
AXYPB said:
I could never get the feel of the original DS' D-pad.

The Gamecube D-pad is the worst one. Have you tried playing Super Punch-Out (unlockable on Fight Night Round 2) on that? Analog support isn't present on that so it was almost unplayable.

joking, right?
Not in the least.

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Upperleft said:
The 360 and the GC d-pads
just... oh my god what did they do? :\
EDIT: and my thumb hurts from playing SF:Alpha3 on my PSP
frown.gif

LOL, when I was about 7, I used to play Street Fighter on my PSX. My hands were blistered and bleeding from using "hadouken" over and over again xD

So I'd have to say PSX for the worst D-pad. Ever.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jph said:
Hands-down, the Xbox 360 has absolutely the worst D-pad on any gaming controller.
The xbox 360 controller can do diagonals unlike the PSP Phats, so how can it be the worst? second worst maybe.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DO. What a piece of garbage! I can't imagine anything being worse than that D-pad.

The gamecube D-pad isn't the greatest, but I have grown used to it so it doesn't bother me as much.

Big Green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Original GBA d pad since over time it just stops working just like the SP DS and DSlites R and L buttons. But blowing in it doesn't help it out.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Original Crossbox and the 360, really. I don't really mind the PSP's as much as I should, apparently.

The GC one wasn't too bad, but I really didn't use it so much. Truth be told, the direction used the most was up...unfortunately, it was awkward in its positioning.

I'm not terribly fond of the Classic Controller's pad for some reason.

ArchangelX

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
archangel.0rangechicken.com
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
How can the PSP Phats DPAD not be the worst? you cant even make diagonals with the peice of shit ffs.
Agreed.

The PSP Slim though has a great DPad.
I don't know why you people don't like the 360's DPad. I do use it occasionally, and I haven't gotten _nearly_ as angry at it as I have the PSP Phat's.

Although, if you still have SNES Pads, if the little plastic part that makes it actually hit the buttons rips inside (not too hard to do really) then the DPad becomes practically useless. Which sucks because that's the only way you can move.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
jph said:
Hands-down, the Xbox 360 has absolutely the worst D-pad on any gaming controller.
The xbox 360 controller can do diagonals unlike the PSP Phats, so how can it be the worst? second worst maybe.
At least the PSP pad you know for sure that when you press up, up is whats going to happen. With the 360 D-pad, you have no idea. It's ok if you like surprises I guess, but personally I like my d-pads to be functional.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is the psp dpad so bad? Isnt it essentially a ps2 dpad?

Only bad thing about the gc controller is the dpad, its just so SMALL! that some games recognise you pressing say up when you quickly go right left.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think we can address the other side of this issue, since I didn't see any complaints I think it's a reasonable guess that you all will agree with me when I say that the original NES had the best D pad - they did kinda corner the market on that one. Many have tried to copy it since then without breaking copyrights, but none have perfected it.

As far as the XBox and 360, PS1-3 etc. - I think it almost always doesn't matter, joysticks are generally so much better for today's games. I didn't really play PS1 before the DualShock arrived, and I think the D pad is a big part of my reason - next gen 3D games just don't seem to work as well with D pads in most cases.

Back on topic, I don't have a lot of experience with the BOX D pad (always used the stick), so my vote goes the PS1-3 pad - that gap in the middle kinda hurts in fast paced gameplay

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...