Would Steam ban me for using Pirated games/"add to library"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
actually you just receive a VAC ban, so you will not be able to play online on any server using VAC, you can still play your steam games, buy games, trade, ect...
getting a steam ban would require more serious actions such as using stolen credit cards to purchase games, directly editing steam client files (such as trying to add steam games to your account you did not purchase), phishing, and using hacked clients

VAC bans are game based.

If you get banned in MW3, you can still play (online) other games, including the other CoD games. You only get banned in that particular game.

Getting a ban in a goldsrc game means you'll get banned from all the games using goldsrc since the ban is engine based. This was the same with Source games (TF2, CSS, CSGO, etc) but they changed it sometime ago.

And the ban only covers the multiplayer portion of the game. You can still run the game and in the case of TF2, connect to a non-secured VAC server.

And to clarifiy, to get banned in any of these games or engines, you need to be running a injector/program that modifies core game files while you're playing in a VAC secured server.

So, if you're running a cheat for TF2 while you play, let's say, Saints Row 4, you won't get banned from SR4 (that game isnt VAC bannable) or TF2. You can also be running the cheat while on TF2 menu. You won't get banned. You need to establish a connection with a VAC secured server for VAC to be running.

So running pirated copies of games and software and adding them to your library won't get you banned.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
VAC bans are game based.

If you get banned in MW3, you can still play (online) other games, including the other CoD games. You only get banned in that particular game.

Getting a ban in a goldsrc game means you'll get banned from all the games using goldsrc since the ban is engine based. This was the same with Source games (TF2, CSS, CSGO, etc) but they changed it sometime ago.

And the ban only covers the multiplayer portion of the game. You can still run the game and in the case of TF2, connect to a non-secured VAC server.

And to clarifiy, to get banned in any of these games or engines, you need to be running a injector/program that modifies core game files while you're playing in a VAC secured server.

So, if you're running a cheat for TF2 while you play, let's say, Saints Row 4, you won't get banned from SR4 (that game isnt VAC bannable) or TF2. You can also be running the cheat while on TF2 menu. You won't get banned. You need to establish a connection with a VAC secured server for VAC to be running.

So running pirated copies of games and software and adding them to your library won't get you banned.

When did they change their policy? because last i checked VAC bans were indeed global. You're either banned or you're not, it's not specific. At least, that's how it used to be when I played CSS avidly a few years back. Hell when Dark Souls 2 released it was announced anyone with VAC bans would be unable to use DS2 online functionality.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
according to valve there are only a handful of games with VAC protection. that means: in other games I can cheat all day long?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
according to valve there are only a handful of games with VAC protection. that means: in other games I can cheat all day long?

If it's an online game, they likely have their own protections, so no. If it's an offline game, you can cheat in any of them. Doesn't really matter. VAC protection is only on online games, and only if you cheat while online.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
When did they change their policy? because last i checked VAC bans were indeed global. You're either banned or you're not, it's not specific. At least, that's how it used to be when I played CSS avidly a few years back. Hell when Dark Souls 2 released it was announced anyone with VAC bans would be unable to use DS2 online functionality.

Read their FAQs. You're greatly misunderstood.

VAC bans WERE engine specific, they changed it recently so now bans are GAME specific, UNLESS it's a goldsrc game.

Again, read their FAQs. It's not like it's hidden to the consumer.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So I could go offline, edit my save game and reconnect to steam?

No need to go offline, just close the game so the changes take effect.

Again, Valve won't check if you're editing your save games for a Steam game or a non-steam game. They only check for specific code while you're connected to a VAC secured server.

Every single steam user would be banned if that weren't the case. We all have pirated games/software on our computers.

Because I cannot use my modded saves online?

Define online.

Online as in connected to steam? Yes, you can.

Online as in connected to the multiplayer portion? Yes, you can. Depends on the game, but for most games, SP and MP are separated.

Either way, you're totally safe.

Valve doesn't give a crap about saves/achievements or what happens in your SP session.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to mod my save or use cheatengine to change some values in memory. Does VAC or something similar strike here?

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding certain VAC games(like Dark Souls 2 for ex) will ban you if you edit your save and play online regardless if you cheat offline.

I can't be sure because I wouldn't risk it but I cheat all the time in non vac games. The only VAC game that I have(or at least am aware of) is Dead Island and it gives you the option to disable VAC which I assume means you could cheat in that game as long as you don't use VAC? IDK and again I wouldn't risk it.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
So I could go offline, edit my save game and reconnect to steam?

That's why most online multiplayer games store your data on server side as well/only.
Keep in mind modding save or config files isn't same as modding games files. Save and config are modified all the time, main games files are the one that should always match what you have downloaded from valves servers. As for something like Dead Island it's coop game, so nobody gives a damn if you modify save file. I actually did change my character afterwards as for some reason all four players decided to choose same character and didn't want to change and starting from zero in middle wasn't good idea.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd say if you can get it on a site that isn't Steam, then it's okay to link with Steam. With that, as far as Steam is concerned you could've got it from a DRM-free alternative, like GOG or on disc or something.

D

Deleted User

so if i pirate a game and take all the dlls from another free game and if i play it its says im playing the free game so steam sees that i playing the free game. but im playing the Pirated one. Also Sorry im late

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
so if i pirate a game and take all the dlls from another free game and if i play it its says im playing the free game so steam sees that i playing the free game. but im playing the Pirated one. Also Sorry im late
Try to avoid bumping 4 year old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny