WTF Amazon Prime Membership

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I fucking hate amazon!!!! There's this thing called 1-Click on amazon.co.uk and about a couple of months ago it asked me if I wanted to try it so I chose yes, thought might as well. IIRC, it basically make delivery really quick and free I think but it's only available for selected items.

Well today I go to amazon and when I went to buy something it said "buy with 1-Click?" and I thought, "wait didn't I cancel this thing last month?" cuz I'm sure it said something like it would starting charging me per year starting at the end of this year. So anyway I buy my item using 1-Click and then decide to look at my account (which is really awkward to find). On 'my account' section I find 'Amazon Prime Membership', click that and it says it's taken £49 from my account!! It apparently did this on 09 Nov 2008 and was set to renew on 09 Nov 2009! WTF?! Conning bell-ends I don't even use amazon that much so now they've fleeced £49 out of me for a service I might only save a £ delivery on!
mad.gif

Beware of this shit.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to clarify, 1-Click and Amazon Prime are two completely different things. 1-Click is free, all it does is gives you a second link in the buy box which lets you skip through the checkout process quicker (and is an optional setting because it's too easy to order something by accident with it).

Whereas Amazon Prime gives you faster / cheaper delivery for an annual fee, and yes is a total rip-off, because I can't imagine anyone who'd need expedited delivery for every single order they placed in a year. Chances are it offered you the free trial of Amazon Prime halfway through the checkout process, which is where you've got the two muddled together.

As for quietly charging you, wow that's really bad. Surely they'd at least have emailed you a reciept when they took it, or a warning so you could make sure your account had enough money in it? Amazon are normally really good with e-mail notifications. Contact Amazon and explain that you'd cancelled it before they charged you. Their customer service is good, hopefully they'll get it sorted for you. (Although if you've actually used prime delivery when ordering items since then you might have a hard time convincing them you're not using the service.)

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep they charged me without sending me anyway warning emails or anything. Damn I bet this thing must catch out a lot of people, old people in particular I would imagine. I never even knew I was paying for this service until I dug deep into my account settings. That's how bad it is.

You say 1-Click and the Prime membership are two different things? In that case I should be ok when contacting customer services because I think I only used Prime when it was in its 1 month free trial and never since then. I'll try contacting them. Thanks for your reply!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. Click the "Help" link on the top-right and search for 1-click in there for a more complete description.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The free 1-month membership only applies to new membersIi think. They don't make it clear enough though, as they put "You've qualified: One-Day Delivery on this item is FREE with a free trial of Amazon Prime."
at the top of every page even for people who aren't new members.
Is a little dodgy for Amazon, but at least they're top with everything else.

I wouldn't consider it anyway, living in Birmingham in the UK means I'm pretty near the dispatch point. Last time I ordered Super Saver it came in 2 days
smile.gif

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Amazon is one of the most un-user friendly sites to shop on in my experiences with them. They make everything so awkward. Play.com are awesome, however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That kid was @BigOnYa he's a grown up now that mods switches