Hacking WTF!!! The spring has broken allready!

Kitanode

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've recieved my DSTwo in the post today (i've upgraded from the iEDGE) and allready the spring has broken in it!!!

I've maybe pushed my sd cards in and out about 10 times so far so i think this is pretty crap. I know some of you don't like the spring loaded feature but this is the first time i've had one in a flash cart and it makes a nice change from trying to pick out my sd card from my old flash carts all the time.

Anyway what i wanted to ask was if it was advisable to open up the DSTwo so that i can try and fix it?

Is it possible to fix it?

I'm slightly worried incase my sd card slips out unoticed.

Is it a common fault?

I don't really want to send it back and wait for a replacement.

What do you's guys think i should do?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know what a DSTwo looks like, so don't know of there are screws on it. If there are, simply take the off and see what you can do (not like you're going to harm anything, the thing's already foobar'd).

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well when I first got mine, I thought the spring broke, turns out that I didn't push the sd card down enough. You probably should send it in for a replacement, if you open it, you wont be able to get to the spring anyways

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, it's spring-loaded? Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinkin about buying a DSTwo too.

I had a Datel Games n Music Homebrew card years ago and the piece of plastic that caught the spring broke within an hour.

steves334

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hahaha i use my spring like 20 times a day minimum. and i got one of the first DS2s and i use it every day. and my spring is still good. i know the spring will break if i force it to do something its not supposed to do. so i use it the right way and it will never break. unless i eat drugs or something and forget to be careful wtith the spring

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Can you still get the MicroSD in and out of the card? If so, you have a non-springloaded DSTWO now. No need to cry over this and get a replacement. It'll work just as well.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's odd.
I've had my DS2 for quite some time now and the spring works as well as ever.

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just had my spring break on my DS2 and I got the first batch off the line. It works just fine, but if you are afraid it might slip out just put a little tape over it. Mine hasn't fallen out yet and I don't use tape on it, it still seems to be a good snug fit without the spring catch

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mine still work good..on more than one occasion I didn't even push to eject I just pulled it out (habit from using flash cart that are not spring load)

but since you just got it today, return it for a new one

asiekierka

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What I did is open it up and use a screwdriver to pry off the plastic piece that does the springload stuff.

It's a real hack, though: you can't push the MicroSD in twisted (won't read, happens rarely) or too far (hard to remove but you get used to it).

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
steves334 said:
hahaha i use my spring like 20 times a day minimum. and i got one of the first DS2s and i use it every day. and my spring is still good. i know the spring will break if i force it to do something its not supposed to do. so i use it the right way and it will never break. unless i eat drugs or something and forget to be careful wtith the spring
Yeah, I got one of the first batch and the spring works perfectly well for me. I suppose not all springs are equal.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TehSkull said:
Oh man, it's spring-loaded? Thanks for the heads-up. I was thinkin about buying a DSTwo too.
Yeah, avoid the GBA emulator SNES emulator Real Time Save Real Time Guide Free Cheat Less-hassle media player auto-AP bypass soon-to-come homebrew AWESOMENESS just because of a tiny spring. Yeah, great idea.

BTW, I've had my DStwo since August, and I rigorously pop in and pop out my microSD card when I'm bored. It still hasn't broken yet.

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
mine didn't broke (yet).
yay.gif

It's like 6 months old already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    JakobAir @ JakobAir: The bush does offer helpful advice.