'XBOX ONE' ANNOUNCED!

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get Microsoft. Never have, never will.
I just don't see what all the fuss is about.
Microsoft are showing me a media device, not a gaming one. If I wanted a media device with some games, I'd save 300$ and get an Ouya or an Android stick.
The sad part is that this 'all-in-one' machine will probably be a success, because the average consumer just doesn't know any better.
And we seriously need to congratulate the genius who put an old console's name on top of the new one.
I didn't think that it could get worse than a police siren. :glare:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Reactions: chavosaur and Minox

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...and? It's bundled with the system, why would you not connect it?

It's not a negative point if it's not an additional expense, y'know - it's like complaining that the Wii doesn't function properly if you don't connect a Sensor Bar to it.

I think mainly people are hesitant because its a camera and its required to work and if it breaks you got to pay for a new one or your xbox will not work. And privacy issues, that it drives up cost and nobody wants kinect games. Also kinect can detect how many users are in the room for drm purposes link.

Snappo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get Microsoft. Never have, never will.
I just don't see what all the fuss is about.
Microsoft are showing me a media device, not a gaming one. If I wanted a media device with some games, I'd save 300$ and get an Ouya or an Android stick.
The sad part is that this 'all-in-one' machine will probably be a success, because the average consumer just doesn't know any better.
And we seriously need to congratulate the genius who put an old console's name on top of the new one.
I didn't think that it could get worse than a police siren. :glare:
So I guess computers aren't gaming devices to you since they're basically an 'all-in-one'..?

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Having the capacity to play a game on one side of the screen and browse the web with the other using the Kinect for walkthroughs or just holding a casual video conversation as you play using the Snap feature is cool. It's not a deal breaker, but it's a great feature - be objective.

On the competition's system you have to pause your game, put it to Background and then use the browser or the messaging software - on the XBox you don't and that's a unique feature. You can just snap whatever app you need right onto the side of the screen and carry on playing, it's awesome.

While I can say that it's technically cool (as in look what we can do with this huge box), to me it's ultimately useless. I mean, when I'm in a game I'll either be in the thick of it and can't afford to keep it running while I do whatever it is I want to do (look up a guide, browse an unrelated website etc.) so I have to pause. Or I'll be in an area where there's nothing, and it makes no difference whether it's paused or not, so I might as well.
In the case of me watching a movie (in the unlikely case that I'll ever use a gaming device to watch a movie), well I'll never want to watch the trailer for another movie or browse some website, etc. at the same time because I'm watching a movie. And if someone were to call/message me I'll either pause the movie if I haven't seen it yet, or ignore the movie while I answer the other person (mind you, this'll be after a lot of complaining, because I'm still watching the fucking movie).

And, leaving aside the second hand games, I really don't like the idea of having keys for games, I mean what if you don't like the game (most stores here have a return policy, I'm kind of doubting it'll be possible with those fucking keys), or a friend wants to borrow one to try it out? They've really fucked that up.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think mainly people are hesitant because its a camera and its required to work and if it breaks you got to pay for a new one or your xbox will not work. And privacy issues, that it drives up cost and nobody wants kinect games. Also kinect can detect how many users are in the room for drm purposes link.
Oh dear, a console not working properly when one of its essential parts breaks - now that's a new one.

The Kinect will (hopefuly) be used as an essential part of the interface as well as an extension of the controller - as I outlined earlier, these complaints are like complaining that the Wii doesn't work properly without a sensor bar ot that the Wii U doesn't work properly without a Gamepad. If what Microsoft said is anything to go by, this will not be an "add-on" like the Kinect - it's going to be an essential part of the whole deal.

As for detecting the amount of people in the room, the technology is patented, not introduced which makes a huge difference.

While I can say that it's technically cool (as in look what we can do with this huge box), to me it's ultimately useless. I mean,when I'm in a game I'll either be in the thick of it and can't afford to keep it running while I do whatever it is I want to do (look up a guide, browse an unrelated website etc.) so I have to pause, or I'll be in an area where there's nothing, and it makes no difference whether it's paused or not, so I might as well.
Looking for tips and tricks online was just an example - you can hold a video conference while you play, you can listen to and manage a playlist you can do a variety of things as it's up to you which Metro App you snap to the side. Say, you want to watch a movie but you still have some spare time... so why not snap a TV Guide to the side and know exactly when you have to switch. Hell, while you're at it, you might as well snap the channel you're about to watch instead and zoom in once the program starts. Sky's the limit here. It's not just technically impressive, it's actually useful.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice pic, except what do you do when your Sensor Bar breaks? I know, you buy another one for a pound, but what do you do when your Wii U Gamepad breaks? A-ha! Gotcha! :P
I'm pretty sure you can still play and access services and games (didn't even) with the wiimote unit it's replace or fixed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sure that method comes highly-recommended by Nintendo's techies. :yay:

...by the way, still not sure why it's called a Sensor Bar when it has no sensors in it. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT MUCH, Nintendo? :angry:

I'm pretty sure you can still play and access services and games (didn't even) with the wiimote unit it's replace or fixed.
You cannot manipulate the cursor without a WiiMote so you're buggered if your Sensor Bar is broken and you have to rely on ghetto methods to use the system or get a new one... which isn't a big deal because the bar costs next to nothing, but I'm outlining a principle here.
The Kinect is no longer treated as an add-on, it's treated as an essential part of the system. Its nature changes and as such, so should our approach towards it.

Shadowlurker

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, but WHY should it be an essential piece, Why would general gamers want a camera in their face with them barking commands at it? We're not naked skinny cam girls... It's not essential for gaming at all..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, but WHY should it be an essential piece, Why would general gamers want a camera in their face with them barking commands at it? We're not naked skinny cam girls... It's not essential for gaming at all..
It is when the camera functions as an extension of the controller. What if head tracking will be used to tilt the camera in a game you're about to play?

What if "lifting the controller" will lift your shield in the game you're playing as it was said on the presentation? What if moving your arms will send your squadmates to given locations to provide you with cover fire? What if this "barking commands" will be used for team management in a tactical simulation or hell, even an RPG?

Again, the Kinect is no longer an add-on, it's an integral piece of the set. Developers will no doubt include interactions with it, much like PS4 developers will add interactions with the PlayStation Eye and the Wii U developers add interactions with the touchscreen.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Hey guys

Why won't my Xbox 360 play Xbox One games? 360 is higher than One so the 360 should play One games
I mean the 3DS was obvious because it Went DS, DSi, 3DS so it was the third latest console and the Wii went WiiU so again it went higher, same as PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4

Hope I can solve this problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious