Xbox One Exploit Release: 'Gaining win32 code execution in UWP DevMode'

Earlier today, @XVMM posted up some key info on 'getting started' on your path of enlightenment when using the 'dev mode' that is available on all Xbox One consoles, now normally this UWP is sandboxed, but thanks to the anonymous creators if this unique exploit you can now get a shell (cmd.exe) and win32 code execution on Xbox One in UWP Devkit mode.

devkitwin32.jpg

Normally, you can only deploy "sandboxed" UWP containers with very limited access rights, hence this write-up, which is very technical, but its aim at those that want to explore more of inner workings and power of XB1 console itself, and hopefully now with this information out to public, more developers will get on-board and help expand the scene of greatness in the Xbox landscape.

Preamble

This is not an exploit or breakthrough of any sort. It's simply taking advantage of provided debugging features in developer mode! This is for any one who may be curious and want to reverse engineer the Xbox One. This is also mainly provided for anyone who wants to just have a go at reversing the system. There's a lot to utilize with the public features anyway.

Prerequisites
  • Must be in developer-mode (obviously)
  • Have some form of SSH/telnet client. (PuTTy, etc)
  • At least have Visual Studio 2015 or 2017
To get started without putting up with developing UWP applications we can instead utilize the open SSH connection provided by the console. This is only available in developer mode, just in case you get any ideas. If you're using Windows and will be using standard command prompt for telnet then make sure you enable it first!
  • Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows features on or off"
  • Tick "Telnet client"
  • Done
To check out @XVMM full guide, sample files, and to take part in the 'technical development' side of this release, then please see the 'ongoing discussion thread' link below, and please try to keep it clean of useless posts, that is what this front page news thread is for.

And remember this 'code release' is not really exploit and does not in anyway enable 'piracy' or 'free games', and will never grant those wishes either, but what it will do is allow you to free yourself from UWP sandbox, explore the XB1 system, and hopefully we will see some more powerful emulators, homebrew and other apps appear soon enough by talented developers that know how to use this! :)

:arrow: Discord Server Invite: Open Chat Discussion

:arrow: Ongoing Discussion Thread: [Info] Xbox One - Getting somewhat started

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

Last edited by garyopa, , Reason: added discord invite link

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
unlikely, the jtag points have probably been disabled. the reason the jtag exploit happened was largely due to the fact that microsoft was trying to rush their product out ahead of sony. that's also, incidentally, the reason for the high failure rate of those early systems.
I waited a few years before buying an Xbox Arcade (360 base system) and it pissed me off that it still red-ringed.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I waited a few years before buying an Xbox Arcade (360 base system) and it pissed me off that it still red-ringed.

the hardware issues have kept me from enjoying the 360 despite learning a lot about them. I actually own 3 systems: 2 falcons (jtagged) and a jasper (flashed dvd drive which needs to be reflashed as it's on lower than 13xxx firmware). I don't want anything to happen to them, so I don't play them. I can't say sony's early builds of the ps3 were any better with their ylod. some people have had nothing but problems with those two systems while some play the hell out of them without any hardware issues.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, the Xbox One is cracked? What type of world do we live in?

Oh yeah, reality. It was bound to happen eventually but this legitimately surprised me.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the hardware issues have kept me from enjoying the 360 despite learning a lot about them. I actually own 3 systems: 2 falcons (jtagged) and a jasper (flashed dvd drive which needs to be reflashed as it's on lower than 13xxx firmware). I don't want anything to happen to them, so I don't play them. I can't say sony's early builds of the ps3 were any better with their ylod. some people have had nothing but problems with those two systems while some play the hell out of them without any hardware issues.
Well I still have my X360 Falcon and even though it was OFF for years, I just turned it ON a few days ago to finish Metal Gear Solid 3 and its still solid.

Mine has quite a few thousands of hours playing and 0 problems, its RGH.

You should have done it like me, Changed thermal Paste twice over the years, added small aluminum memory coolers on memories and every big chip inside like "hana", changed the original fans for a better airflow one with blue leds and added 2 more fans, I even made a plastic tunnel above the GPU small cooler and added a small fan inside pushing only from GPU smaller cooler at maximum air pressure directly out of the case.

PS: Overkill, but won't ever have the common ROD from heat, but you could simply have changed thermal paste, add a few cheap memory coolers and just increase fan speed on DashLaunch or FSD plugin or whatever you like\use.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I still have my X360 Falcon and even though it was OFF for years, I just turned it ON a few days ago to finish Metal Gear Solid 3 and its still solid.

Mine has quite a few thousands of hours playing and 0 problems, its RGH.

You should have done it like me, Changed thermal Paste twice over the years, added small aluminum memory coolers on memories and every big chip inside like "hana", changed the original fans for a better airflow one with blue leds and added 2 more fans, I even made a plastic tunnel above the GPU small cooler and added a small fan inside pushing only from GPU smaller cooler at maximum air pressure directly out of the case.

PS: Overkill, but won't ever have the common ROD from heat, but you could simply have changed thermal paste, add a few cheap memory coolers and just increase fan speed on DashLaunch or FSD plugin or whatever you like\use.

2 of my systems are falcons too. I heavily modded my original xenon system, it failed on me, threw it in the trash, and now I don't even bother especially considering how cheap the system is these days.

I've changed the thermal paste in one of my falcons, but I'm still nervous to play it. the failed xenon is what did it for me. that's why I never plan to buy an xbox one, and I'm sure this has soured the taste for a lot of other people. I know a lot about the system, but I refuse to play it.

edit: oh, I've input 60/140 degrees C/F in dashlaunch as my temp threshold. in fact, not only can FSD/dashlaunch do this, but you can build a NAND image with the temp thresholds inside. ;)

Last edited by godreborn,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now its the opposite, it seems M$ have fully fixed the problem with Xbox One (dont know for the One X though)... While Sony has lots of problems on PS4, I see lots on youtube with problems and my PS4 Pro with not even much use also gives me problems, my friend's PS4 Pro burned dead like 3 or 4 months after buying and was sent to repair, his new replacement is also giving problems :whip:...

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read that the ps4 pro can get abnormally hot, so maybe it's a heating problem?
1st version has problems with the eject touch button sensor too, at some point in time lots of them start ejecting by them self and I also have a frind with 1 that has that problem and it's also very loud the 1 revision...

All versions seem to have heating problems even though they never get to the point of giving the overheating problem, in some of them ppl temporarily fix them doing what they did on the X360 applying pressure to the SOC clamps...

Other big problem that I and some friends also have is the console reporting too much USB devices are connected and shut OFF by it self when I don't even have a single device on the console....
Let's hope Microsoft doesn't kill devmode in a future update like what Sony did with Linux on the PS3
It's probably the main reason why Xbox haven't been hacked yet so I don't think they will remove it.

And even if they make Xbox to be able to like play some PC games or something like that they should only Thank the hackers as there will be more interest in Xboxes...

Only lqter if they find a way to exploit from that to run Xbox games backup then they could maybe and sadly remove that feature...

Last edited by guily6669,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, microsoft opted for a quieter console rather than a cooler one. the thresholds to shut off are between 190-200F iirc. they can get near that before the fans really kick in. it's ridiculous, and it cost them over a billion and a half to fix it. that's no small sum. maybe they've learned their lesson with the xbone.

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I hate the Xbox GUI (it feels like design by committee), I do enjoy their "put gamers first" that came about after the initial backlash of "digital only".

I would love to turn my xbox into an emulation machine. I already use it for Kodi and playing video files, so anything more in that direction is great.

I thought the GUI was pretty solid... It's much faster than PS4 that's for sure.. PS4 Navigation is so slow.. from joining and creating parties.. to inviting friends to play..

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the GUI was pretty solid... It's much faster than PS4 that's for sure.. PS4 Navigation is so slow.. from joining and creating parties.. to inviting friends to play..
If you're not familiar with the windows tiles or xbox one interface, it is utterly confusing. Why they place things where they do, why they don't put things in the obvious places, why do you have to press 9 buttons to get somewhere that should take two. The parties thing is nice, completely agree. Even though I have nearly no use for it, I can appreciate how helpful it is for a lot of games. I'm more thinking the general layout of the OS. You just kind of have to memorize where everything is or else you have to google it (meaning, not intuitive).

Stuff like that. PS4 is slow, but its layout is super straightforward and intuitive with very little room for confusion. Switch is even more straightforward and intuitive. I got rid of the slow by upgrading to a SSHD, but sony doesn't get credit for that :P

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a release Xbox, it red ringed after about probably 2500-3000(maybe more) hr's of play (ffxi) so I was happy enough with it. I called Microsoft and they sent me a new one a few days later.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had a release Xbox, it red ringed after about probably 2500-3000(maybe more) hr's of play (ffxi) so I was happy enough with it. I called Microsoft and they sent me a new one a few days later.

My release 360 did RROD fairly early in it's life, sadly for me. It was an import model and Microsoft hadn't released the 360 officialy in my country yet... So it was a big middle finger from them. Instead of buying another one, i got a PS3 which lasted 8 years before the yellow light of death ( countless of hours of BF3, GTA V, MGS4, etc).

I think Microsoft poor support outside the US, is one the reason they don't have a bigger user base to their consoles.

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After having a bit of a hiatus I'm tempted to get back into this scene. I remember how cool I thought it was when I discovered that I could compile ppsspp and launch it in Dev Mode on the Xbox One which led to initial write up I did that gave birth to an entire scene. In that same way I'm excited all over again at the possibilities for running any standard win32 code on the Xbox One. That opens up so many possibilities that before might have seemed impossible. Any PC application is now fair game. It's just a matter of building the tools that will make this very accessible to the public

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My release 360 did RROD fairly early in it's life, sadly for me. It was an import model and Microsoft hadn't released the 360 officialy in my country yet... So it was a big middle finger from them. Instead of buying another one, i got a PS3 which lasted 8 years before the yellow light of death ( countless of hours of BF3, GTA V, MGS4, etc).

I think Microsoft poor support outside the US, is one the reason they don't have a bigger user base to their consoles.
Out of curiosity, how well is xbox one doing in Europe? I know they are stru
After having a bit of a hiatus I'm tempted to get back into this scene. I remember how cool I thought it was when I discovered that I could compile ppsspp and launch it in Dev Mode on the Xbox One which led to initial write up I did that gave birth to an entire scene. In that same way I'm excited all over again at the possibilities for running any standard win32 code on the Xbox One. That opens up so many possibilities that before might have seemed impossible. Any PC application is now fair game. It's just a matter of building the tools that will make this very accessible to the public

Especially considering that uwp was the number one reason why developers stayed away from xbox one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo