Xbox's Phil Spencer apologizes for Redfall, says great games alone aren't enough to win a console generation

sdasdasdasdasd.png

Phil Spencer is taking responsibility for Xbox's latest first-party game launch. Redfall, a game developed by Arkane, was released on May 2nd, to atrocious critical reviews, and even worse player reception. Billed as an open-world co-op first-person shooter, players overwhelmingly found it to be repetitive, glitchy, and bland. The game also promised to run at 60fps prior to its launch, but drew controversy when it was walked back, and the developers instead planned to have a 60fps update made available sometime post-launch.

When appearing as a guest on the Kindy Funny Games podcast, Xbox's CEO Phil Spencer bluntly stated, "There’s nothing that’s more difficult for me than disappointing the Xbox community, and just to watch the community lose confidence, be disappointed, I’m disappointed, I’m upset with myself," adding that, "we let a lot of people down this week with the launch of the game, but we will continue to strive on." In a response to fans asking why the game wasn't just further delayed, Spencer claimed, "I think there’s a fundamental piece of feedback that we get that the game isn’t realizing the creative vision that it had for its players. That doesn’t feel like a 'hey, just delay it' [situation]--that feels like the game had a goal to do one thing, and when players are actually playing they’re not feeling that thing, that creative execution of the team."

Furthermore, Spencer was questioned about the current state of affairs with Xbox, following this, on top of the CMA's refusal to allow Microsoft to acquire Activision. His response focused on how losing the Xbox One generation was "the worst generation to lose", and that great games aren't enough to draw customers in anymore, saying, "this idea that if we just focused more on great games on our console that somehow we’re going to win the console race doesn’t really lay into the reality of most people. There is no world where Starfield is an 11 out of 10 and people start selling their PS5s, that’s not going to happen." His plans for Xbox's future is to, "stay focused on making sure that console experience is awesome, but I know some people want to hold us up as being a better green version of what the blue guys do, and I’m just going to say there’s not a win for Xbox by staying in the wake of somebody else. We have to go off and do our own thing with Game Pass, the stuff we do with xCloud, and the way we build our games."

:arrow: Source

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They should've released "Case of the Golden Idol" as an exclusive game on their platform to get some hype.

LOL!

Do they now understand that "Hyper-super-duper-HiRes-graphics" don't make a good game? At least not while recycling the very same formula again and again on each console gen.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Anyway both Series X and PS5 sucks today. Perhaps this kind of console they may be the last generation.
yeah right a console selling millions and millions will be the last... you dont end a product that is giving massive profits just because, if they dont make consoles most studios will just go bankrupt since pc gaming cant support every game studio, heck most games sell triple digits on console versus pc releases, many indie devs get 3 times more sales on consoles versus steam and more even for AAA games.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yeah right a console selling millions and millions will be the last... you dont end a product that is giving massive profits just because, if they dont make consoles most studios will just go bankrupt since pc gaming cant support every game studio, heck most games sell triple digits on console versus pc releases, many indie devs get 3 times more sales on consoles versus steam and more even for AAA games.
I am definitely concerned about a future where there are no traditional consoles.. only cloud devices. Anyone without good broadband should heavily support Nintendo as I think they will be the last to go that way, and even when they do their games will be relatively lightweight and easy to stream.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
you do realize they are part of bethesda before microsoft right? and bethesda games are always a mess at launch, so imo it could just be the same studio head microsoft left in charge that is still doing the same crap for years.

besides id software which is part of bethesda, all other bethesda studios have very troublesome launchs tbh.
Yes, Bethesda themselves with their own ip's ala all Fallout games, New Vegas(Fallout again), Elder Scrolls especially Skyrim, etc, always release buggy as hell games that need a whole years worth of patches before they become playable.

But Arkane games have been alright until now, I have all the Dishonored games on Ps3 and Ps4, I wonder what went wrong here.

Maybe Micro$oft pushed Bethesda to be more hands-on at Arkane and as a result Arkane contracted Bethesda's bugs.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, Bethesda themselves with their own ip's ala all Fallout games, New Vegas(Fallout again), Elder Scrolls especially Skyrim, etc, always release buggy as hell games that need a whole years worth of patches before they become playable.

But Arkane games have been alright until now, I have all the Dishonored games on Ps3 and Ps4, I wonder what went wrong here.

Maybe Micro$oft pushed Bethesda to be more hands-on at Arkane and as a result Arkane contracted Bethesda's bugs.
well the previous game before microsoft aquired them was deathloop and that wasnt a very good release either, and it seems they used the same building structure for redfall.

we dont know who left arkane from dishonored to deathloop, maybe some talent left, specially when microsoft fire some people all around its company.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
well the previous game before microsoft aquired them was deathloop and that wasnt a very good release either, and it seems they used the same building structure for redfall.

we dont know who left arkane from dishonored to deathloop, maybe some talent left, specially when microsoft fire some people all around its company.
Sad to hear that coz Dishonored was an epic series and I have maximum respect to Arkane for that series.

Hopefully Redfall is a wake-up call to Arkane for the sake of future releases...

But if their future releases are Xbot exclusives then good riddance Arkane as I Plan on upgrading to a Ps5.

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
They have a very dedicated, loyal fan base of man-children who are easily duped and separated from their money - that much is true. They’re also good at marketing towards kids and provide a nice budget option.
The build quality leaves a lot to be desired as well, horsepower aside. I’m Foxi4Sony and have been for a very long time, but even I have to admit that after the original VCR fiasco Microsoft has been making some very well-designed and robust consoles. I’ve been very impressed by the build quality of every Xbox since the One S - Sony and Nintendo consoles feel flimsy in comparison.
The real mystery is how a misguided person and clearly biased is a moderator in gbatemp.

Reactions: WhileTrueBreak

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The real mystery is how a misguided person and clearly biased is a moderator in gbatemp.
Nintendo fans haven’t had a console capable of running most multiplatform titles since the Gamecube - they get the scraps, and only if it’s possible to optimise and trim a title to absolute barebones. The Nintendo fanbase is missing out unless they have a secondary gaming device at the ready, this isn’t exactly a revelation. Doom, The Witcher or Outer Worlds are exceptions, not the rule. You can laugh about that, but you’re laughing in sub-25 FPS and 480p. The situation is so bad that it actually became a factor in Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision. When faced with the accusation that the purchase would limit the availability of Call of Duty titles on other platforms, Microsoft responded with a commitment to release Call of Duty on Nintendo’s consoles, presumably the Switch rather than an undisclosed next-gen. The CMA called them on it not because they didn’t believe that they’d try, but because the Switch is unlikely to even be capable of running those games at all. Very funny stuff.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/cma-reg...not-be-able-to-run-on-nintendo-switch.627009/

Reactions: Xzi

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
At this rate MS will only have a chance of 'winning' because of Sony F'ing up the PS6, PS3/Xbone prelaunch style.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At this rate MS will only have a chance of 'winning' because of Sony F'ing up the PS6, PS3/Xbone prelaunch style.
Somehow they already lost this one even though they supposedly had the more powerful console. I'm very confused by how so many multiplats run worse on the XSX than the PS5. It doesn't make any sense.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Somehow they already lost this one even though they supposedly had the more powerful console. I'm very confused by how so many multiplats run worse on the XSX than the PS5. It doesn't make any sense.
I assume OS overhead is to blame. There’s also the matter of how many resources are dedicated to the game versus how much is permanently reserved. Sony and Microsoft also have a different approach towards frequency. The two machines have very similar hardware, but the two companies run it differently.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume OS overhead is to blame. There’s also the matter of how many resources are dedicated to the game versus how much is permanently reserved. Sony and Microsoft also have a different approach towards frequency. The two machines have very similar hardware, but the two companies run it differently.
It could be that, but I can't help feeling the publishers know that the PS5 version will sell more so they allocate more time/resources to that version. The generation started out with the XSX ports being slightly better but it quickly turned around and now it's almost always the XSX has more issues and the PS5 is more polished. It's probably a combination of everything.

Reactions: WhileTrueBreak

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

It’s not too surprising, chances are most PS4 owners just continued with the PS5, similar to how the momentum of the PS1 helped the PS2 (DVD aside) but they screwed up the PS3.

Don’t know how much stock availability might have played a part, anecdotally I’ve seen far far fewer Series X units where I work, but our stock levels are partially demand based.

That said, IMO, MS could have potentially rebuilt support over time with a better games library and that could have potentially sold more units over time and/or cause a shift next gen.

If they were betting on Gamepass being a system seller, then they should have included it with the consoles e.g. 1 year free Gamepass.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto