XCI installer released by new Switch group 2168-0002

long.png

This new homebrew will allow you to install XCI files directly to your Switch without having to convert them to NSPs first. It is based off the NSP-installer homebrew, Tinfoil by @Adubbz.

What is an XCI file?
An XCI file is a gamecard dump, while an NSP is an installable eShop file. While XCI files can only be played directly with SX OS, they can now be installed just like an NSP on both SX OS and ReiNX.

How does it work?
  • It extracts the NCAs from the XCI file
  • It changes the one byte in the header that differentiates gamecard files and eShop titles
  • It rebuilds the metadata file and sends it to Tinfoil to begin installing (the metadata file describes the other NCAs present in the file)

Precautions
This homebrew is still a WIP.
  • If you use an exFAT-formatted SD card, please back up all your data before using this homebrew, as it has a small chance to corrupt the card.
  • Some XCI files will not work. If you come across any that do not work, please report them in the main discussion thread.

Where can I get it?
  • Gitlab repository is here
  • Official discussion thread is here

Who is 2168-0002?
The members are as follows:

They can be reached by Twitter at @2168_0002 and can be identified on GBAtemp by their signatures. There are more projects in the pipeline.

Attachments

• icon.png
    icon.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 3,488
Last edited by Quantumcat,

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Bruh...
The most important point of XCI is being able to load them from SD Card without having to install them or any shit
Drag and Drop.
Yeah agreed, it beats the objective a lot. I’m betting the titles that are only xci won’t work anyway just the same as xci to nsp conversion no difference so a pointless exercise. No offence @Quantumcat trust you to pin this project cause I know your a little TX hater at heart ;) also so is the rest of the crew involved as I can read names.

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: NeoSlyde

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the general thought is XCI is more "secure" than NSP due to the borrowing games plausible deniability factor where as NSP's Nintendo could check a server side ledger and know yo didn't purchase whatever.

I don't know if thats bogus stuff the internet believes, but assuming not.
is a installed XCI using this visually identical to a non installed XCI if Nintendo checks logs or looks into it etc.?
Those types of checks would have to be conducted manually across millions upon millions of Nintendo Switch Accounts which is not practical nor reasonable. Secondly, the error code produced by bringing a .NSP file with a fake ticket online can be generated without homebrew/hacks/CFW; all you need is an unlinked or outdated Nintendo Account to create a mismatch between the ticket in the system and the title being launch. Lastly, these checks are not conducted on the CDN server as all requests to titles are accepted regardless if you own the game or not. The reason why it takes a while for public certs to get burnt from the CDN is most likely due to an overabundance of CDN downloads rather than downloading content that the owner doesn't own; the reason I say this is because a well-designed system would either flag or prevent people from downloading content they didn't purchase.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's a very good thing for Piracy, with all those things going on, it really seems that the switch scene ain't gonna be ruled by the same moralfags who runned the 3ds one, good thing for Piracy AND homebrews (yes, trying to create a homebrew sandbox for the 3ds was a disaster, good thing we don't have this on the switch).

Reactions: Huntereb

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is there any progress on direct loading of xci files on the Switch with free CFW options? Or was it canned?

ssssss13

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One dumb question., how does this works? I mean, how do you swap beetwen XCI installed? I get that if you install NSP, they work like eshop games, but if you have more than one XCI installed instead ''emulated'' which is what SXOS does...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One dumb question., how does this works? I mean, how do you swap beetwen XCI installed? I get that if you install NSP, they work like eshop games, but if you have more than one XCI installed instead ''emulated'' which is what SXOS does...
You would swap between them like you installed .NSP titles because what this tool does is directly install the .NCA files tucked away inside of the .XCI into the console just like you would when installing any .NSP file

D-Jay

High rulez
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This concept doesn't makes any sense because of SXOS is able to load XCI files directly with much less chance of getting banned.
Every (non legit) installed stuff is needless as long as we don't have an emuNAND.

D

Deleted User

Go figure. A tool which at best is tangentially related to TX (since it involves installing XCIs) gets invaded by TXs shills. Honestly, come the fuck on. Is their ego that easily shattered?
Honestly I’m tired of both sides. TX post, salt from non-users. Non-TX post, salt from TX users. It’s really annoying having to sift through it in posts just to get more info and discussions lol.

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And by "if you'd like" she means "already working on it" because Elise is just that reliable.

Amazing work, dunno why people dont like it, it just saves a lot of time and no need to involve the PC everytime. Just get the XCIs (which the most games are given as "Backups") and convert them OTF on the Console. Pretty good move. Love you guys for this, even if I never gonna install stuff on my Switch most likely, since Emulate GameCard looks more save.

Last edited by ehnoah,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I knew that scientist was up to no good....