Yacht Club Games releases all Shovel Knight art assets under Creative Commons License

7ee011a7bcb7b3c889a19915ab4eaee9_original.png

Yacht Club Games has released all of their art assets for their indie hit Shovel Knight today under the Creative Commons License, including animations, backgrounds, menus, and more. All the files are "in the state [Yacht Club Games] are used to working with" and can be opened with the illustration and animation software they use, Pro Motion NG. The Creative Commons license allows you to redistribute the content or, more importantly, "remix, transform, and build upon the material" in any way for your own work, as long as you give proper credit, note any changes, and don't release it for commercial purposes. (A more detailed breakdown of the Creative Commons License can be found here.)

The move was reportedly inspired by a photo the team saw way back in 2013, during the Shovel Knight Kickstarter, of a developer using their sprites as a reference for their own work. Wishing to be able to inspire and enable future developers, the team has decided to release their art assets for all to play with.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Shovel Knight art asset repository

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So what you reuse or remix the art for can't be used for commercial purposes and must be released under the same license. But I wonder if Yacht Club themselves can take what you make with the art and release that commercially themselves?
No, you'd still have ownership of whatever software you made, even if it used their art.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, protip: Aseprite seems to open these .flc animation files, as well as the app mentioned in the OP. Aseprite has a free trial, but is also free to use if you compile it yourself.

Reactions: relauby

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to self learn how to do pixel animation with this or is it more a case of, "so that's how they animate. That's quite cool"?

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yacht Club Games has released all of their art assets for their indie hit Shovel Knight today under the Creative Commons License, including animations, backgrounds, menus, and more. All the files are "in the state [Yacht Club Games] are used to working with" and can be opened with the illustration and animation software they use, Pro Motion NG. The Creative Commons license allows you to redistribute the content or, more importantly, "remix, transform, and build upon the material" in any way for your own work, as long as you give proper credit, note any changes, and don't release it for commercial purposes. (A more detailed breakdown of the Creative Commons License can be found here.)

The move was reportedly inspired by a photo the team saw way back in 2013, during the Shovel Knight Kickstarter, of a developer using their sprites as a reference for their own work. Wishing to be able to inspire and enable future developers, the team has decided to release their art assets for all to play with.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Shovel Knight art asset repository

This is nice and all but I know for a fact that people will completely destroy this...- so, this is nice...but at the same time it's a huge risk, now i am not implying that creating community based games based off the source is terrible - no I am just stating that they should be more careful, think before doing this type of move..because again putting it at risk from freaks who will mess the franchise up for us all and then the developers have to intervene.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good for them releasing the assets for game preservation purposes and for hobbyists to express their artistic freedom using said assets.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copyright doesn't prevent copying. Copyright grants the owner of the original the rights over said copies.
Copyright serves as a means of impeding sale and profit of unauthorized copies by third parties.

Really? I thought I didn't have to write this to you. I was under the assumption that you knew these intricacies.
Edit: My bad, they specifically used one of the non-commercial licenses.

Last edited by Guacaholey,
Reactions: eyeliner

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to self learn how to do pixel animation with this or is it more a case of, "so that's how they animate. That's quite cool"?
Hard question to answer as it might depend upon your base level and inclinations even then.
I do generally recommend
https://gdcvault.com/play/1023586/8-Bit-8-Bitish-Graphics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lemming_animation.gif also says much despite being a small gif (right side is the released animation, left is what the devs had in there initially)

I am sure there is much to be gleaned from it, and tweaking it to see how something might fail, and creativity when faced with limitations (not so much a thing on PC or modern consoles really -- a sprite sheet a few thousand items long is likely less space than a few seconds of video or throwaway background NPC 3d texture).
More generally start with an item, you can go from a photo because why not, you will fail (though there are exceptions https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Models ) and instead start to think of things to exaggerate and size and proportion (usually heads for expressive faces/eyes), animations are in some ways still like 3d in that they go from one to another (plus whatever exaggeration to make it look cool like that lemmings thing, stopping short of being too visually noisy which usually means about 3 points of movement*, it is space (generally or VRAM) and effort that stop it from being true stop motion in most games.
Rather than going from photo some will go for essence (usually those from a more conventional drawing background).

You will also have the translation, reflection, rotation, scale thing you would probably have learned on graphs in school. Bit more advanced comes acceleration (something drops and you don't start by moving 3 pixels a second and staying there until the end, reality starts moving slow and accelerating according to gravity), and in the words of a legendary internet reviewer you might not notice but your brain did.

*most people can only immediately visually count to three, very few any more than that. See also why 99% of all characters in all written languages are 3 strokes or less. It can also speak to colours but for that we probably get more general colour theory ( https://www.designmantic.com/blog/infographics/the-10-commandments-of-color-theory/ ) and design concepts, though again old school graphics from CGA on up might have had a more limited option for a lot of things and had to force things accordingly rather than doing gradients.

After this I also have favourites like
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iNSQIyNpVGHeak6isbP6AHdHD50gs8MNXF1GCf08efg/pub
More time to do your animations/have the player react if the camera is placed correctly. Telegraphing attacks (say an enemy holding on the edge of the screen for a few seconds before darting in during brawlers) also being part of that.

Wryyyong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is nice and all but I know for a fact that people will completely destroy this...- so, this is nice...but at the same time it's a huge risk, now i am not implying that creating community based games based off the source is terrible - no I am just stating that they should be more careful, think before doing this type of move..because again putting it at risk from freaks who will mess the franchise up for us all and then the developers have to intervene.
Breaking_Bad_S04E01__Box_Cutter__-_Denny%27s_Scene_0-25_screenshot.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
?
Or at least
No. You could do all that but you would also have to attribute the artwork to the company and note any changes you made to it. At that point you would be free and clear it seems to have your own code implementation of the shovel knight game not sold commercially.

Reactions: Stealphie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1