Yooka-Laylee is getting a physical version for Switch

Update: The 10% discount code has been reactivated until Sunday evening, the code is SAVESOMECOINS if anyone is still on the fence about ordering.

81309af09b96730f7e487daf0fd3c9f8_original.PNG

Playtonic have recently confirmed that Yooka-Laylee will be getting a physical version for Switch, courtesy of Limited Run Games. The price will be $49.99.

There will also be a collector's edition for $74.99 containing extra goodies such as a N64-style box and cartridge (non-functional), a poster and the official soundtrack. For Kickstarter backers who backed the "64-bit" tier containing a N64 cart USB flash drive, a discounted version of the collector's edition for only $34.99 will be available with a special cartridge color.

78bcda40b42d122c7b1454df786b8ca7_original.jpg

Pre-orders start on Friday, September 7 at 10AM ET at LimitedRunGames.com, and those interested will have to pre-order, as these are manufactured to demand.
All previous Kickstarter backers will receive a code for a 10% discount in time for Friday.

:arrow: Source (Kickstarter)
:arrow: Pre-order

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the N64 box and cartridge, I think N64 box art has probably been my favorite of most of the consoles.

Shame the game was ass, not even remotely worth the $75 even for all the collectors stuff.
Was it really that bad? I was actually considering buying it now that it's getting a physical release

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was it really that bad? I was actually considering buying it now that it's getting a physical release

From what I've heard from friends, it wasn't a "true" successor to the Banjo-Kazooie era. Honestly it could've just been over-hyped so it wouldn't compare to the expectations but to each their own.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I expected a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie, what I got was an extremely generic 3D collect-a-thon platformer that played like a game from 1999. Maybe if Yooka Laylee released in 1999, it might have been considered a great game, but in 2017 it just plays like garbage. Awful level design, boring boss fights, awful controls. Pretty much all the flaws of an N64 game from a 2017 game.

A Hat in Time pretty much does everything Yooka Laylee was supposed to deliver on and does it 100x better. I would strongly suggest picking up A Hat in Time, if not now then when it launches on the Switch (whenever that will be).

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I expected a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie, what I got was an extremely generic 3D collect-a-thon platformer that played like a game from 1999. Maybe if Yooka Laylee released in 1999, it might have been considered a great game, but in 2017 it just plays like garbage. Awful level design, boring boss fights, awful controls. Pretty much all the flaws of an N64 game from a 2017 game.

A Hat in Time pretty much does everything Yooka Laylee was supposed to deliver on and does it 100x better. I would strongly suggest picking up A Hat in Time, if not now then when it launches on the Switch (whenever that will be).
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I heard a lot about Hat in Time when it was in alpha and I've heard a bit about it again, recently

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
no the game isnt bad at all, people expected like banjo kazooie greatness but the game wasn't bad, so yeah if you like 3d platformers and physical games go for it, i will tomorrow, tough only regular edition, no need for collector one.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Euphonique

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, I've played the game and didn't know that it is from they "Banjo-Kazooie-Guys". And in the first five minutes I thought: "Wait.. This is like a game you know.."
I think they did a good job with this game and it really makes fun. Guess the expectations got too high and some people are disappointed. It just plays like 1999. You have to know and like that. Thats all.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's not bad at all, it just didn't come close to living up to the hype. It's still a decent game all in all, but doesn't live up to the "spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie" claim. That doesn't mean you won't like it though.
But I definitely think A Hat in Time is a better game, despite it not having as charming graphics.
Yooka-Laylee really nailed the visuals and soundtrack of a spiritual successor, but failed on most other levels.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Playtonic have recently confirmed that Yooka-Laylee will be getting a physical version for Switch, courtesy of Limited Run Games. The price will be $49.99.

There will also be a collector's edition for $74.99 containing extra goodies such as a N64-style box and cartridge (non-functional), a poster and the official soundtrack. For Kickstarter backers who backed the "64-bit" tier containing a N64 cart USB flash drive, a discounted version of the collector's edition for only $34.99 will be available with a special cartridge color.

Pre-orders start on Friday, September 7 at 10AM ET at LimitedRunGames.com, and those interested will have to pre-order, as these are manufactured to demand.
All previous Kickstarter backers will receive a code for a 10% discount in time for Friday.

:arrow: Source (Kickstarter)
:arrow: Pre-order
I tried playing it, the movement was very "floaty", did a update fix this? Because it makes the controls just feel like shit.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game was meh and it took them way too long to do a physical on Switch, even then in limited quantity. Would rather see a physical release for A Hat in Time, a much better game.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've heard from friends, it wasn't a "true" successor to the Banjo-Kazooie era. Honestly it could've just been over-hyped so it wouldn't compare to the expectations but to each their own.
I think it was not only this, but also uhhh how do I explain this.
So you know how we get all these games like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge that mimic a game style but make it their own, plus 20 years of gaming knowledge and quality of life additions? So it looks like you are playing a 20 year old game but it doesn't feel like it? I think one of the biggest issues with YL is that they didn't learn from those 20 years in between the nintendo 64 and now. Again, not really calling YL a bad game per say, but it really seem like YL is a fresh game as a call back to the good ol days of collectathons. YL came off as more of an HD port of a buggy forgotten Banjo Kazooie clone from yesteryear.

All that to say, i have a physical PS4 copy and hope to play it soon.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it was not only this, but also uhhh how do I explain this.
So you know how we get all these games like Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge that mimic a game style but make it their own, plus 20 years of gaming knowledge and quality of life additions? So it looks like you are playing a 20 year old game but it doesn't feel like it? I think one of the biggest issues with YL is that they didn't learn from those 20 years in between the nintendo 64 and now. Again, not really calling YL a bad game per say, but it really seem like YL is a fresh game as a call back to the good ol days of collectathons. YL came off as more of an HD port of a buggy forgotten Banjo Kazooie clone from yesteryear.

All that to say, i have a physical PS4 copy and hope to play it soon.

I mean that's understandable, you wouldn't just remake the same game but with new characters. You'll be trying to make something entirely new that's all your own, so maybe the problem here is that it was kinda piggy-backing on the 'Banjo-Kazooie' concept and trying to bring out the nostalgia by playing this. But that's the problem, you can't just bring back nostalgia with something that isn't what made you feel it in the first place, they went as far as to get the music produced by the same guy who did it for the Banjo games right?

Not like it's a bad thing trying to bring back the feelings of blissful childhood, but it didn't happen here unfortunately; which I'm happy that A Hat In Time became it's own significant game that could stand on it's own without referencing old games, since I got addicted to it back in the Beta days.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Coughapoughacoughcoughkaakaa
Aw awawaw aww ah ah aaaw
Kekh meh kehkehke meh meh meh kekekh
Ba bababbah bah be h ba

The most annoying voice dialing in the history of gaming.
I couldn't last more than two hours playing that game because of the stupid voices.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Coughapoughacoughcoughkaakaa
Aw awawaw aww ah ah aaaw
Kekh meh kehkehke meh meh meh kekekh
Ba bababbah bah be h ba

The most annoying voice dialing in the history of gaming.
I couldn't last more than two hours playing that game because of the stupid voices.
It's just like the Banjo games, I don't mind that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: ohio