Your most disappointing video game sequel

disappointing-sequel.jpg

A great video game can be like lightning in a bottle. That one perfect game that comes out at the right time and place. A breakthrough title that rewrites the script and shatters expectations.

Then comes the sequel. With a publisher breathing down your neck and fan expectations sky-high, can any sequel really live up to that first legendary title?

Even the most revered video game studios have put out a blunder or misstep when it comes to their flagship franchises. Whether it's rushing a title to cash in on a lucrative holiday season or simply a limited budget or an unrealistic deadline - many video game sequels have left fans with a bitter taste in their mouths, either by missing the mark completely to just being "okay".

Obvious disappointing video game sequels include Duke Nukem Forever - a game that took 14 years to release to a triumphant "humph"; Nintendo's Metroid: Other M - a game with a laughably bad story and frustrating controls; Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - a game that upended its predecessor and lost a lot of what made the first game so esteemed in the first place.

But, what are your most disappointing video game sequels? Did a sequel to a game ever resonate so poorly with you that you lost interest in the franchise altogether?

Let us know your most disappointing video game sequel in the comments below.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Final Fantasy X-2 and every one after it. They just don't make them the same anymore. I miss the classic JRPGs, hardly anyone makes them anymore, and when they do, it's low budget efforts like Bravely Default or Octopath Traveler. Still good games, but they just don't have the same amount of time, effort or money put into them and it shows.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (the one based on Doki Doki Panic). Never liked it, even before I knew it wasn't really a Mario game.

Torchlight III. This one was such a disappointment. I had high expectations after II and was looking forward to playing through it in coop like I did with II, but neither of us felt like playing past the first 15 minutes. Granted it was early access, I was hoping it would turn into something good but judging by recent reviews, not much changed.

Reactions: Trojaner

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Lemmings 3D was terrible compared to the versions before it. That one particularly stands out as a good game series that someone messed up with that 3d version.
Post automatically merged:

Crash Bandicoot 3.
I loved the first two games, so I was very disappointed to learn how half of the game is not about platforming, but extremely boring mini-games.
Plus I felt the escape levels and riding levels were far better in Crash 2.
I liked that one, and still play it, still crash 1 and 2 are better than it and much larger. If you look at the ps1 iso and strip the files out you'll see a massive size difference between 1+2 compared to 3.

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Settlers & Rome yeah what were they thinking of making a remake
Kudos 2 - I must have been bored to even play that game
Simsfree Freepaly is the only sims in that series I can not stand
I littelry hate every Sonic and Crash Bandicuit remake
The first one were cute but now there are like 37
Sonic has like 50 remakes 30ish cartoon and 10 movies with back stories wait IDC
And Crash you spin around what is that .
That was cute the first time not for 10 more remakes just once was enough.
Crash stay in your own system THE DREAM CAST
I HAVE SPOKEN

Last edited by AWESOMEGAMER,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Contra III: The Alien Wars
This game might be popular, but it sucks compared to the original.
no way that game was great in its time

also
"Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - a game that upended its predecessor and lost a lot of what made the first game so esteemed in the first place."
yeah gonna have to totally disagree here too , got this game a t launch and was not disappointed at all

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
And Crash you spin around what is that .
That was cute the first time not for 10 more remakes just once was enough.
Crash stay in your own system THE DREAM CAST
I HAVE SPOKEN
This is Blasphemy, the ONLY reason I bought a Switch was because I wanted to play crash N sane trilogy (and the only game I have bought for the switch) on it, and I wasn't dissapointed. Also I have this game on PS4 as well and play it regularly. I also have converted Wrath Of Cortex running on PS4 which I also play and love and the new It's about time version. As for the other crash games such as crash of the titans - they were meh!

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YOU HEARD ME I SAID GO BACK TO THE DREAMCAST

want me to say it louder

1st time *aww so cute* the rest oh no they did not
and if you got that on the switch shameful
THE DREAMCAST
I AM LOOKING AT YOU AND I HAVE SPOKEN

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thief 4. Lost completely the feel and idea of the series.

Ultima IX. Not that great conclusion for one of the greatest RPG epics ever.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
disappointed me too.
although i didn't play 7 and 8

but look how long it took to accept that 2d gfx is still acceptable

Ultima VII is still quite a good game. Used to run it with voice played via soundblaster and midi via external KORG synthbox. Interestingly enough, the NPC's had their own lives, working, sleeping, visiting taverns and even shuttering down windows hen it was raining. Something that is still, even after 30 years missing in many RPG's.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
YOU HEARD ME I SAID GO BACK TO THE DREAMCAST

want me to say it louder

1st time *aww so cute* the rest oh no they did not
and if you got that on the switch shameful
THE DREAMCAST
I AM LOOKING AT YOU AND I HAVE SPOKEN
Dreamcast doesn't have Stormy Ascent or Future Tense levels and the graphics are rubbish compared to the remasters.

I have spoken now, be gone and crawl back into to hole - you blasphemer!

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*death stare*
THE DREAMCAST
*that is why i has said it before I give you a massive prima ban to the down grading with old gen of on unworthy system*
moving along
Spyro Raymond and Jax & Daxter
1st time *cuuuuttttteee*
anything beyond that is no, and Spyro ok one time is enough Drangons are not fun except in Pokemon, DnD, MTG, and Monster Hunter & Monster Hunter Stories

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
After the first 3 Silent Hill games were absolute bangers, Silent Hill 4: The Room was the first of many shitty games in the franchise. I got it on PC, and while the characters were super detailed, everything in the world was hella blurry and was hella ugly. That made the entire experience jarring. And the controls for PC made it even worse.

Last edited by Jayro,
  • Sad
Reactions: mrmagicm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...