Your most disappointing video game sequel

disappointing-sequel.jpg

A great video game can be like lightning in a bottle. That one perfect game that comes out at the right time and place. A breakthrough title that rewrites the script and shatters expectations.

Then comes the sequel. With a publisher breathing down your neck and fan expectations sky-high, can any sequel really live up to that first legendary title?

Even the most revered video game studios have put out a blunder or misstep when it comes to their flagship franchises. Whether it's rushing a title to cash in on a lucrative holiday season or simply a limited budget or an unrealistic deadline - many video game sequels have left fans with a bitter taste in their mouths, either by missing the mark completely to just being "okay".

Obvious disappointing video game sequels include Duke Nukem Forever - a game that took 14 years to release to a triumphant "humph"; Nintendo's Metroid: Other M - a game with a laughably bad story and frustrating controls; Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - a game that upended its predecessor and lost a lot of what made the first game so esteemed in the first place.

But, what are your most disappointing video game sequels? Did a sequel to a game ever resonate so poorly with you that you lost interest in the franchise altogether?

Let us know your most disappointing video game sequel in the comments below.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How come? I haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward to it. Played the first one through co-op with friends and it was great.
the story is awful, and there's a lot of.... really questionable gameplay changes, like only being able to climb for a limited amount of time thanks to a new energy system. as well as a tutorial at the beginning that gives a really really bad first impression of the combat.

the game also goes for a weird mix of graphics over gameplay, without looking particularly good. there's a section at the beginning where there's a forced fight with an overpowered zombie and half of the time you can't see anything because there's both lens flares blinding you as well as an over emphasis on darkness

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, gotta go with Devil May Cry 2. Such an abysmal follow up and a clear cash grab with a rushed development. Luckily they redeemed themselves with 3 and have been pushing out only good stuff for the franchise since.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Weak ass game.
How did I forget that one. It shouldn't have been a numbered entry (which I believe it wasn't in the first place). It's not even a good game in its own right - let alone as a sequel to 3K.

NewLoveMachine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple already posted here that came to mind, but here's a fraction of the ones that disappointed me-

Halo Infinite, weak story and bland open world that's missing a ton of weapons and game modes/features.
A lot of the Mario Parties.
Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite.
Lost Planet 3. LP2 was such a fun co-op shooter with branching level paths, fun weapons and mechs, and awesome boss fights. LP3 stripped itself of all that and has no real identity, it's a mess.
I could go on about way more but I'll stop here.

• Haha
Reactions: k7ra and Acetonide

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Borderlands 3. Had such incredible gameplay that out classed b2, but the story and the characters made me want to stop playing every time.
I do occasionally see it around and want to give it a go (hard to understate how much I enjoyed 1, and 2 was not bad either but the direction it took was not my favourite, can keep pre sequel) but I see stuff like this, and prices of it second hand being less than the handsome jack collection and then continue to skip it. Hopefully we see a total conversion or something.

Anyway... I usually judge worst by failed potential more than out and out not nice to play/watch/read/whatever.
I am not a fan of what they did to Heroes of Might and Magic -- while I am of the 2 gold is best heroes persuasion I can still enjoy 3. Anything beyond that...
I have softened a bit on Resident Evil 6 in as much as you can just about have your own fun there. 4 and 5 were way better though and 7 and beyond are different games.
Later splinter cell games got a bit over simplified for my taste but there was still something there.
I have not softened on the Ninja Gaiden modern series sequels (be it 3 or Yaiba. Comparing 2 to black is also tricky). How they screwed that franchise up so hard is impressive in and of itself. Many other times I might not care for a franchise any more the games I can at least see as being tolerable (don't care about Halo post ODST, give or take 13 and a fondness for 12 then post 9 final fantasy does nothing much for me, post PS2 GTA has its moments but never recaptured it for me, prince of persia never recaptured sands of time but were still playable enough and improved things along the way).

I assume we are discounting mobile phone games of classic 16 bit era things lest it become a list of that -- Dungeon Keeper Mobile, Cannon Fodder 3, whatever that James Pond thing was...

Not really one in my properly played things but I will be curious to see if PS2 things are anything worth considering in this -- the fate of Parasite Eve tends to elicit some strong reactions in the past.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival