Your most disappointing video game sequel

disappointing-sequel.jpg

A great video game can be like lightning in a bottle. That one perfect game that comes out at the right time and place. A breakthrough title that rewrites the script and shatters expectations.

Then comes the sequel. With a publisher breathing down your neck and fan expectations sky-high, can any sequel really live up to that first legendary title?

Even the most revered video game studios have put out a blunder or misstep when it comes to their flagship franchises. Whether it's rushing a title to cash in on a lucrative holiday season or simply a limited budget or an unrealistic deadline - many video game sequels have left fans with a bitter taste in their mouths, either by missing the mark completely to just being "okay".

Obvious disappointing video game sequels include Duke Nukem Forever - a game that took 14 years to release to a triumphant "humph"; Nintendo's Metroid: Other M - a game with a laughably bad story and frustrating controls; Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - a game that upended its predecessor and lost a lot of what made the first game so esteemed in the first place.

But, what are your most disappointing video game sequels? Did a sequel to a game ever resonate so poorly with you that you lost interest in the franchise altogether?

Let us know your most disappointing video game sequel in the comments below.

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fallout 4, they built up so much good will with fallout 3 and it's several full DLCs that I pre-ordered the expansion pass and even though I got it before they had the audacity to increase its price post launch

I still feel gypped by the fact it was only 2 short and mediocre DLCs and a stupid crafting/base-building DLC that ripped off a free mod

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tetris™ Worlds... disappointed me 10 minutes after getting it.
I'm a huge fan of Tetris™ and of course had to have it when I found out it was released on the GameCube.

The gameplay sucks, the graphics are moody, uncolorful, the music sucks, the different "game modes" are bullshit.

I grew up with TENGEN Tetris™, Tetris™ & Dr.Mario, Tetris™ for Gameboy, Tetris™ DS and Tetris Party.

Got very used to see colorful tetriminos, good old original gameplay and hearing Loginska, B-Type and C-Type... all that made Tetris™ good for me wasn't present in that particular title and that killed it for me.

Boooo! 👎👎👎

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a ton, but put most of them out of my mind because they're that bad.

Those I can remember:

Mass Effect 2 - absolutely awful, considering I loved the first one. I actually stopped playing games altogether for a year after since I was so disappointed with that garbage. I sold the trilogy without ever playing the 3rd (which was supposed to be better?).

Way of the Samurai 3 - I love this series, one of my all-time favorites, but 3 was a mess. Half of the time the sidequests would be bugged so that you couldn't complete them, and completing them had a big impact on the route the story takes. I always see people saying they love this one, but I have no idea why.

Chrono Cross - Outside of the soundtrack (and honestly it's just a handful of tracks that people love...) and the random Escher-meets-Monet part, the game was a huge letdown. The characters were awful, the graphics were absolutely terrible, battle system was OK but slow, and I'll be damned if I remember a fraction of the boring meandering story.

OH - Valkyrie Profile 2. Honestly I'd like to give it another chance, but I sold it off a looooong time ago. I did enjoy Resonance of Fate, so who knows.

Last edited by DS1,

Panzerfaust

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Shenmue 3

Phantasy Star Online 3

Fire Emblem 3 Houses

No More Heroes 3

Xenoblade 3

I don't know... something often goes wrong with those threes.
Not that they are so bad, that I hate them (maybe PSO3), but compared to other entries, they are (much) worse imo.

SPAC3W4IFU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LittleBigPlanet 3 for me.

It was outsourced to Sumo Digital instead of being developed by the team at Media Molecule, and it really shows. Feels super unpolished compared to the first two and the improvements in the engine were nowhere near as significant compared to the leap from 1 to 2.

I always preferred the PS Vita game as a successor to the OG games.

Reactions: wartutor

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Animal Crossing: New Horizons, it unfortunately continues to be a disappointment compared to the previous games, even after the updates that all should have been in the base game. Not even mentioning what happened to the Animal Crossing community ever since New Horizons released. I sadly lost hope in this franchise. Even Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival is a game I'm more positive about than New Horizons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol