Your most disappointing video game sequel

disappointing-sequel.jpg

A great video game can be like lightning in a bottle. That one perfect game that comes out at the right time and place. A breakthrough title that rewrites the script and shatters expectations.

Then comes the sequel. With a publisher breathing down your neck and fan expectations sky-high, can any sequel really live up to that first legendary title?

Even the most revered video game studios have put out a blunder or misstep when it comes to their flagship franchises. Whether it's rushing a title to cash in on a lucrative holiday season or simply a limited budget or an unrealistic deadline - many video game sequels have left fans with a bitter taste in their mouths, either by missing the mark completely to just being "okay".

Obvious disappointing video game sequels include Duke Nukem Forever - a game that took 14 years to release to a triumphant "humph"; Nintendo's Metroid: Other M - a game with a laughably bad story and frustrating controls; Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - a game that upended its predecessor and lost a lot of what made the first game so esteemed in the first place.

But, what are your most disappointing video game sequels? Did a sequel to a game ever resonate so poorly with you that you lost interest in the franchise altogether?

Let us know your most disappointing video game sequel in the comments below.

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I seem to be one of Few that thought that Other M was an outstanding entry to a Great series of games. I enjoyed the well written story and i had no problems with the controls at all.

for me it would be Risen 2 and 3. You had such a great Fantasy, Gothic Game and then you destroy it in the sequels with the whole Pirate thingy. Dont get me wrong, i like Pirate games. But if i want to play a Pirate game, i play one. Not one thats supposed to be a Fantasy RPG in the style of Gothic.

Also Final Fantasy 13. Yeah there are some bad apples in the whole Final Fantasy basket, but i think 13 stands out extremely. Awfully written Characters. Lame Story. They took away everything good in the series like being f***in able to controll my characters in battle.

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

Bitt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

A great video game can be like lightning in a bottle. That one perfect game that comes out at the right time and place. A breakthrough title that rewrites the script and shatters expectations.

Then comes the sequel. With a publisher breathing down your neck and fan expectations sky-high, can any sequel really live up to that first legendary title?

Even the most revered video game studios have put out a blunder or misstep when it comes to their flagship franchises. Whether it's rushing a title to cash in on a lucrative holiday season or simply a limited budget or an unrealistic deadline - many video game sequels have left fans with a bitter taste in their mouths, either by missing the mark completely to just being "okay".

Obvious disappointing video game sequels include Duke Nukem Forever - a game that took 14 years to release to a triumphant "humph"; Nintendo's Metroid: Other M - a game with a laughably bad story and frustrating controls; Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - a game that upended its predecessor and lost a lot of what made the first game so esteemed in the first place.

But, what are your most disappointing video game sequels? Did a sequel to a game ever resonate so poorly with you that you lost interest in the franchise altogether?

Let us know your most disappointing video game sequel in the comments below.
Overwatch 2 lol

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic the Hedgehog 4. Weak ass game.
That's what it's called, but it's not really Sonic 4.. it's just a crappy modern Sonic game split into two episodes with a third being planned, yet never released.

Sonic Mania was more of a Sonic 4 than that one.
Post automatically merged:

Mario Strikers Battle League.
Yep, that's pretty bare bones and Nintendo intends on regaining fans trust by releasing content in "seasons" or something.

It's a Nintendo game so we expect quality, not what EA, Epic, Microsoft, Sony, etc do. :(

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quake Champions: Had SO MUCH Potential, but it was so damn underwhelming from what I've heard.

Fallout 4 (not counting any of the DLC): UGH, Too many fucking retcons that should not have been implemented!

Skyrim LE (also not counting any of the DLC)

Resident Evil 6: MEH. Only 2 or 3 things are better here than in 5.

Fallout 76

Halo 5: UGH! 343 needs to be shut down.

Most main series COD games after Black Ops 2 or Black Ops 3.

Battlefield 4: Just buggy trash at launch, especially in the multiplayer area.

Battlefield Hardline: Not too terrible or bad, imo. However, not only is it jarring at times playing a Battlefield game in the setting of a narcotics officer cracking down on drug traffickers (something more fitting for a True Crime or NARC title), but the stealth mechanics are sort of janky. No doubt the voice acting and facial motion capture technology found in this game is well-done, but the campaign, regardless of platform, is inferior to Bad Company 1 as well as Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, and Battlefield 1. However, the game's multiplayer does have less connection hiccups and bugs in general than Battlefield 4 does and is also more playable than both V and the possible nail in the coffin that is 2042.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon: Pointless upgrades that added things which SHOULD HAVE BEEN in Sun and Moon in the first place.

Quake 3 Arena's official expansion: Team Arena. The main game has many good aspects, but the Team arena Expansion comes off as a bland official version of certain fain-made mods that were already implemented and distributed on the net.

Assassin's Creed Unity: Quite a bad example of developing via Unity, overall.

Castlevania X for SNES/SFC: Typically falls flat in many areas, especially when it comes to certain gameplay mechanics that were butchered during the dev conversion from PC Engine CD to Super Nintendo.

Mortal Kombat mythologies: Sub-Zero. Truly, An utter disappointment.

Final Fantasy series after 10 is so fucking convoluted in their general story arcs, typically. Also the gameplay of most of the post-X FF games is poor to meh.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis (PSO2:NGS for short)
PSO2 was great! I love it so much.
NGS launched unfinished and still is to this day. Everything feels watered down and WiP.
On top of that Sega hired the worst people imaginable to manage the Global version of the game.

Reactions: Megadriver94

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and I used neither my phone or my pc today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was out for most of the afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall...