• Total voters

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Actually Dutch or is this where we get to debate the difference between Dutch and Flemish?

On a different discussion now mightymuffy has brought in regional accents/dialects of English it could get odd. A guide

Edit
Quite a few Dutch people here, actually. Huh.
Yeah the Dutch are well represented among the pirate set.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Actually Dutch or is this where we get to debate the difference between Dutch and Flemish?
No. Flemish isn't a language. It isn't even a single accent. And while differences are fun to talk about (I often have this with my girlfriend who is from the Netherlands), I don't think it's something foreigners should be involved. No offense, but I doubt my opinion is going to be accounted for in discussions where the question is whether "Scottish" is an actual language.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. Flemish isn't a language. It isn't even a single accent. And while differences are fun to talk about (I often have this with my girlfriend who is from the Netherlands), I don't think it's something foreigners should be involved. No offense, but I doubt my opinion is going to be accounted for in discussions where the question is whether "Scottish" is an actual language.

On Scots it is the difference between Scots English, English and Scots language which is kind of mutually intelligible with English if you can cut through the general Scottish accent, know a bit of older English and work at it.

On outside observers I am not sure such things in general should be reserved solely for those that live it, especially for something as easily turned into an academic discussion as linguistics. That said having spoken with and reading comments from a few Dutch translators over the years they claimed it as a similar thing to US and UK English in that people might notice, though they also said it was more of a "pick one and stick with it" type affair.
Still I will leave it in this instance as my cultural knowledge of Belgium consists mainly of having once watched Bullhead/Rundskop and the following video

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dutch and English combined. Of course more Dutch since school and shit you know. But soon enough I'll drop the shittiest language in this world! ^_^ KOREAN INSTEAD OF DUTCH FTW!

Oh I also know a few words in French, I can do some German and read Italian as well. Soon I'll get lessons in Chinese, Korean and Japanese... :P

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Brazilian Portuguese ..it's weird how different it can look from Portugal's Portuguese ...if they start talking fast I can't understand a thing.. (I don't get that from American/UK English though..)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Brazilian Portuguese ..it's weird how different it can look from Portugal's Portuguese ...if they start talking fast I can't understand a thing.. (I don't get that from American/UK English though..)

Start listening to some of the less common accents, less common = stuff you do not often hear on TV, some of them are actually quite common in the countries themselves.

Reactions: Walker D

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dutch and English combined. Of course more Dutch since school and shit you know. But soon enough I'll drop the shittiest language in this world! ^_^ KOREAN INSTEAD OF DUTCH FTW!

Oh I also know a few words in French, I can do some German and read Italian as well. Soon I'll get lessons in Chinese, Korean and Japanese... :P
How is it the shittiest language in the world? It may not be perfect but I don't think it's any worse than English.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How is it the shittiest language in the world? It may not be perfect but I don't think it's any worse than English.

Well it's the hardest language in the world, EVEN CHINESE IS EASIER FOR ME... I still have trouble with de 'd en t's EN DT's' srs who did our grammar?! And our language is dirty as in we make difference(like German) in u en je etc.(Je/du=you u/Sie=you, u is meant for older/respected people and je is meant for younger people/meh.) I don't like that tbh. And listening to Dutch is also horrible. It sounds like someone is murdering a cat. + English is also way easier to learn, where I still make too many error in my grammar when it comes to Dutch, my English is miles better.

Also keep this in mine, I HATE this country. From the people(exceptions are made <3 ) to the nature everything is so blegh here. I am not a patriot ;o;

D

Deleted User

Well it's the hardest language in the world, EVEN CHINESE IS EASIER FOR ME... I still have trouble with de 'd en t's EN DT's' srs who did our grammar?! And our language is dirty as in we make difference(like German) in u en je etc.(Je/du=you u/Sie=you, u is meant for older/respected people and je is meant for younger people/meh.) I don't like that tbh. And listening to Dutch is also horrible. It sounds like someone is murdering a cat. + English is also way easier to learn, where I still make too many error in my grammar when it comes to Dutch, my English is miles better.

Also keep this in mine, I HATE this country. From the people(exceptions are made <3 ) to the nature everything is so blegh here. I am not a patriot ;o;

i agree xD im dutch, born in the netherland but suck in the dutch language for example the d,t and dt's hahaha

Reactions: Langin

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Dutch, and other European languages, will be much easier to learn for non-native speakers than any of the oriental languages (there are always exceptions of course), because of the characters found in those languages. Though I can understand that it's perhaps a bit tricky to remember what word ends with a 'd' or a 't' in Dutch, but if you practice enough, it's a piece of cake. And I personally like that my language (and some other languages for that matter) have words that, when we use them to address someone, indicate being polite to that person or having respect for him/her ('u' instead of 'jij/je/jou'). For example, I feel rather rude addressing everyone with ''you'' in English, because I'm used to saying 'u' to strangers and it feels like I'm just saying 'jij' to everyone xD
As for how the language sounds... personally I don't mind hearing it (if it's spoken properly), but some of the dialects and accents are atrocious (at least here in Noord-Brabant anyway) :P
I would say English is easier to learn than Dutch though, because it's slightly more consistent (not by much though).
But why do you hate our country though? I find it rather pleasant living here :D For example: the tapwater here is absolutely amazing, no chlorine or anything... The same can't be said for the tapwater in England I'm afraid... blergh...

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
other ,machine, binary010010100101010100100010000100101010101010100000000111111101010111110101001101010101101010101010111000010001

bleep boop

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i agree xD im dutch, born in the netherland but suck in the dutch language for example the d,t and dt's hahaha

See? Dutch IS horrible. ^-^
Dutch, and other European languages, will be much easier to learn for non-native speakers than any of the oriental languages (there are always exceptions of course), because of the characters found in those languages. Though I can understand that it's perhaps a bit tricky to remember what word ends with a 'd' or a 't' in Dutch, but if you practice enough, it's a piece of cake. And I personally like that my language (and some other languages for that matter) have words that, when we use them to address someone, indicate being polite to that person or having respect for him/her ('u' instead of 'jij/je/jou'). For example, I feel rather rude addressing everyone with ''you'' in English, because I'm used to saying 'u' to strangers and it feels like I'm just saying 'jij' to everyone xD
As for how the language sounds... personally I don't mind hearing it (if it's spoken properly), but some of the dialects and accents are atrocious (at least here in Noord-Brabant anyway) :P
I would say English is easier to learn than Dutch though, because it's slightly more consistent (not by much though).
But why do you hate our country though? I find it rather pleasant living here :D For example: the tapwater here is absolutely amazing, no chlorine or anything... The same can't be said for the tapwater in England I'm afraid... blergh...

DUTCH TAPWATER <3 But I have a few reasons to hate this country actually, it's mostly how the society here works. The social system we have, it's neat yes but it doesn't work. Dutch incoming

Ik heb een pesthekel aan ons overbekende uitkeringssysteem. Ik heb uiteraard respect voor de mensen die het gewoon niet kunnen en hun uiterste best doen. Maar die kuthoofden die denken leuk te zijn door een uitkering te nemen en verder geen flikker uit te voeren, ik kan daar absoluut niet tegen. Tuurlijk sociaal blah blah blah, maar die mensen zijn gewoon lui, niks sociaal zijn HUN ZIJN ASSOCIAL HIER! >_> Ik heb ook een enorme haat aan hoe iedereen met elkaar omgaat, mensen kijken enorm op elkaar neer en behandelen elkaar nauwelijks met respect ja ik weet het die zijn overal. Maar wij zo wel een toppunt zeg jesus! =_= Er zijn natuurlijk uitzonderingen, heel egocentrisch maar ik vind mijzelf best wel aardig wat dit betreft, ik zie iedereen als een gelijke.(tenzij je een vieze lul bent die ons uitkeringsstelsel misbruikt uit luiheid.) Iedereen verdient een kans maar je moet er wel voor werken, studeren en van genieten. Wat ook een flinke irritatie op wekt is al het geklaag(Ik moet me mond eigenlijk houden maar toch you know ;D ) het steekt elkaar enorm aan en iedereen is chago door al het geklaag. Tuurlijk mag een klaagje hier en daar maar het is één en al geklaag in dit land. Is het niet de overheid dan wel de medemens...(Dan nog onze mooie open grens... maar ik ga daar me mondje over houden :P )

Short translation: a lot of complaining about what makes the Netherlands bad: people who abuse our social system, people who complain ALL the time, people who don't show respect. It's pure about how the people are here.

I just don't enjoy living in this bummer country. I love the tap water, I love the awesome beach(which you can find anywhere else anyways) and I really love how our social system works. But it's the people that make our country bad.

Also about the asian characters, I seem to have less trouble with them then most people around me. It's not that I have studied asian languages yet but they seem to fit me more.

Ps. don't blame me any grammar mistakes, it's been a LONG day.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dutch as a hard language. Now I have not studied it as much as I could (languages I do not find the most interesting and there is other stuff I really like, also Dutch is not so widely spoken as the alternatives) so I could be talking out of my arse, a quick scan of all the usual metrics (irregular verbs, verb subject order and noun adjective order, state of inflection....) does not reveal any craziness though. However all of the languages that recognisably use the Roman character set (accents and other things are not so bad, something like Polish is not really Roman characters in the traditional sense) do not see so bad to learn.
However this is probably a "what you are used to" thing -- I find the idea of genders for words to be odd (which kills me when trying to sort Russian out), schoolboy French taught me many UK people had no idea what to make of accents and the like on words, inflection (mainly as I tend not to enunciate anything properly), the absence of the concept of "the" (missing in a lot of east Asian languages), the idea of having extra terms/grammar to describe items/people in the same earshot as the conversation (various languages spoken widely in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh.... have this), for some the concept of right to left reading troubles them (fortunately nothing alternates any more) and the list can go on.

other ,machine, binary010010100101010100100010000100101010101010100000000111111101010111110101001101010101101010101010111000010001

bleep boop

Binary? Break out of your cage and experience the delights of 2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: We had our grandkids over yesterday and I got a small above ground swimming pool I filled for...