YoYo Loader for PS Vita released; can potentially run any game made with GameMaker Studio

yoyoloader.png

Modder Rinnegatamante has released YoYo Loader for the PS Vita. The application serves as a loader for libyoyo.so, which is the official GameMaker Studio Runner application for Android. This will let users run games made with GameMaker on the PS Vita. Rinnegatamante explains in the GitHub release that YoYo Loader works by loading such ARMv7 executable in memory, resolving its imports with native functions and patching it in order to properly run.

Moreover, the modder highlights that this method enables users to run potentially any game made with GameMaker Studio. This includes titles like AM2R and Deltarune. More details about the full compatibility list can be found on the dedicated YoYo Loader Vita Compatibility List page.

To get YoYo Loader up and running on your own PS Vita, Rinnegatamante has a setup instruction on the GitHub page where you will also find download links.

There is also an ongoing discussion on GBAtemp in a thread created by @SuperDan .

:download: YoYo Loader Vita GitHub Release

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, nice!
Man I need to finish my most recent fangame project, it started in GMS 1.4 and porting it over to 2 would be a mess. But having it run on the Vita would be pretty sweet, ngl. Well, if I could get some competent AI working lol.
Man, now I wanna track down some source code of stuff like Mega Man 3D or Megapony and port it over for the lols.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess I'll just need to test which Gamemaker Studio version we're talking about. My Pokémon Warp randomizer is being coded in GM:S 1.4. Though, even if I got it to run on the Vita, some file handling fundtions used are exclusive to Windows and MacOS and would need to be replaced. Would still be neat to see it run on a PS Vita.

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, this is interesting! I played the unofficial AM2R vita port a while back and this could be a step up (running a more modern version of am2r with 16:9 support and hopefully less crashes). Here's the compatibility page for it: https://github.com/Rinnegatamante/YoYo-Loader-Vita-Compatibility/issues/11

According to some it works well, and for others not as well. There are a few tweaks suggested on the page that improves the stability.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:ninja:

or once that vita compatibility layer is complete which is able to run vita stuff on the switch, we would not even need a port of it
Is this the Vita2HOS environment (if that's what the translation layer is closed as), that Xerpi and many other teams are working on?

Sounds like an insane thing. All the different communities helping each other to create amazing homebrew.

Reactions: lordelan and Flame

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Is this the Vita2HOS environment (if that's what the translation layer is closed as), that Xerpi and many other teams are working on?

Sounds like an insane thing. All the different communities helping each other to create amazing homebrew.

yep, im talking about that.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I have years of experience developing for GMS, and I'm quite sure you can already run GameMaker games on Switch quite easily (at least games made with GMS2) as their VM is already avaiable for the console, you just need an official game to use as a vessel.

Of course I'm not considering things like specific control mapping, user permissions or compatibility options, but you get my point.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yo, Death Gambit's on that list. It's listed as "crash" right now, but would be rad if it eventually got to the point of working. That's a real masterclass metroidvania/action-rpg right there!

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
This lets you build your own GM2 projects from source as an NSP, right? Looks like you can use GM2's official Switch-specific functions, and the included wiki for those describes video playback, so is this a homebrew method to play video using hardware decoding?
Pretty much. It's just like the built in GM2S exporter but it doesn't need a Switch SDK, so it's pretty useful for homebrew projects or ports.

• Love
Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER