Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I do hope some people have made backups of their github for Yuzu (and Citra if they had one)

Since Ryujinx doesn't sell their EA under a patreon I guess they are less at risk, so I hope this will at least benefit it in some way (like having some ..... « inspiration from their defunct code », you know :ninja: )
What a sad day outcome for us. I do think that Yuzu could have had a case to defend, but I do understand why they wanted to play safe and not ruin their lives.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
Glad they settled instead of going to court. A judgement in court could have ruined the whole emulation scene.

Was always going to happen though, Nintendo wouldn't sit by whilst somebody earns $25,000 monthly helping people pirate their games. And yes, not everybody pirated, but lets say 80% of Yuzu users and that's being generous.

The Yuzu team will still be walking away as millionaires from this so I doubt they're too bothered

tomberyx

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Nintendo Does What Genesis Don't...​

Super Mario is currently breaking his own neck.
Luigi can't sue everyone and everything because there are so many of them and they're growing like mushrooms, peeing on Nintendo's leg.
The only thing that helps is an umbrella and high boots.

There are thieves everywhere, but there are also plenty of Nintendo thieves

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Glad they settled instead of going to court. A judgement in court could have ruined the whole emulation scene.

Was always going to happen though, Nintendo wouldn't sit by whilst somebody earns $25,000 monthly helping people pirate their games. And yes, not everybody pirated, but lets say 80% of Yuzu users and that's being generous.

The Yuzu team will still be walking away as millionaires from this so I doubt they're too bothered
*cough* Repackers *cough*

They earn a lot using Nintendo games and Yuzu or Ryujinx.

geeraa

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I remember I read nintendo caught using downloaded rom files on their virtual consoles some years ago...later explained that they just use the same kind of file what the nes emulator can understand...so they use a nes emulator in the virtual console with a nes compatible rom file....do you believe it?

Reactions: HRudyPlayZ

Scriber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Citra downloads are still up as of now, with the latest build being 19 hours ago (build 2104). Yuzu build 1729 was the last one I got a few days ago. Anyone know what the latest build was?

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I remember I read nintendo caught using downloaded rom files on their virtual consoles some years ago...later explained that they just use the same kind of file what the nes emulator can understand...so they use a nes emulator in the virtual console with a nes compatible rom file....do you believe it?
they hired an ines dev, so yes, i believe they didnt just download some roms off the internet. they have archives of everything

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What?! I'm so glad I have Citra on my PC right now, dang...
I never used Switch emulator since I'd have to hack my Switch and get stuff from it or whatever but I hear that's such a pain I didn't bother.
What bothers me is Citra going down too. 3DS is dead, what the hell? This is setting a bad precedent here and I don't like it.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you think they won't? I'm speculating here but I think that one of the main reasons for Nintendo to target Yuzu now is because of a potential upcoming Switch 2 that uses a similar hardware architecture to the Switch, enabling Yuzu to become a usable Dolphin-esque Switch/Switch 2 emulator very early in the console's lifespan. Wouldn't Ryujinx fit the same criteria?
He is playing with the words OP chose. Someone else will likely fork the project and continue development under a better guise. It just won't be the same team that developed this project. New people willing to take better precautions and more calculated risks.

Rya687

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
That's been debunked. People made that assumption when they noticed that the Wii Virtual Console release of Super Mario Bros has a ROM with an INES header, even though that standard was invented by the unofficial emulation community. As it turned out, Nintendo had hired a Japanese guy who'd been involved with emulator development, and he introduced that same standard to Nintendo.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

So I suggest anyone who is able to to read the notice on their Discord. They provide a lot more info here that definitely heavily changed my views on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9