Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it weren't for them accepting patreon donations I feel like they would have had a better stronger defense but the second money is involved with someone else's property you done fucked up. The evil dictators Nintendo win again and although me as just one person is absolute jack shit to a big company like that you definitely won't catch me buying their consoles or games anymore.🙅

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2.4 mills isn't too bad considering how much they made of Yuzu's patreon. They're still able to walk away millionaire. This could end so much worse for them.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
2.4 mills isn't too bad considering how much they made of Yuzu's patreon. They're still able to walk away millionaire. This could end so much worse for them.
havent done the math myself but i read they made less than a million with their patreon, so theyd actually lose a lot

Reactions: AlexMCS

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well this sucks. Everyone is pointing out the patreon as a smoking gun but I think just as much it was bunnei running their mouth about 0-day release compatibility and using it for pirating purposes and the like. This isn't 1998, you can't just say things on the internet and expect no paper trail to follow you when you're speaking from an official position.

Bright side is that this was a settlement not a full trial verdict, so there's precedent set for ninty to go after everybody else on even flimsier grounds. Also as many have said, yuzu is open source, it's only a matter of time before someone forks the code and we see like "cantaloupe" emu or something from people not from the original yuzu team.

I'm bummed, and it's real crappy for the devs, but things could have been a lot worse for us on the user end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o