Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"5. The Court further orders, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §§ 503 & 1203, upon Nintendo’s election and to the extent controlled by Defendant or its members, the destruction by deletion of all circumvention devices, including all copies of Yuzu, all circumvention tools used for developing or using Yuzu—such as TegraRcmGUI, Hekate, Atmosphère, Lockpick_RCM, NDDumpTool, nxDumpFuse, and TegraExplorer, and all copies of Nintendo cryptographic keys including the prod.keys, and all other electronic material within Defendant or its members’ custody, possession, or control that violate Nintendo’s rights under the DMCA or infringe copyrights owned or exclusively licensed by Nintendo."

Does anyone know if Yuzu developers have anything to do with hekate, Atmosphere and these other tools? Because if this is the case, the scene is completely fucked up...

Reactions: Y0shII and Kioku

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
"5. The Court further orders, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §§ 503 & 1203, upon Nintendo’s election and to the extent controlled by Defendant or its members, the destruction by deletion of all circumvention devices, including all copies of Yuzu, all circumvention tools used for developing or using Yuzu—such as TegraRcmGUI, Hekate, Atmosphère, Lockpick_RCM, NDDumpTool, nxDumpFuse, and TegraExplorer, and all copies of Nintendo cryptographic keys including the prod.keys, and all other electronic material within Defendant or its members’ custody, possession, or control that violate Nintendo’s rights under the DMCA or infringe copyrights owned or exclusively licensed by Nintendo."

Does anyone know if Yuzu developers have anything to do with hekate, Atmosphere and these other tools? Because if this is the case, the scene is completely fucked up...
I just read it as the personal and developers have to delete all those tools.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They think that suddenly instead of emulating Denuvo games they will suddenly start cracking them. Which will not happen unless Empress publish how to crack them.
well people need to stop relying on one person to do everything for them, pirates need to learn how to have a backup plan if things go south, and your backup plan is now screwed over, what you guys gonna do now? Pay Empress?

cuz everyone wasted toooo much time with switch emulators to wanna learn so now everyone pays the price! Thankfully i still have a modded switch for my games.... can't speak for ya'll dumbasses lol!

Good luck finding a new backdoor now 🤣

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
well people need to stop relying on one person to do everything for them, pirates need to learn how to have a backup plan if things go south, and your backup plan is now screwed over, what you guys gonna do now? Pay Empress?

cuz everyone wasted toooo much time with switch emulators to wanna learn so now everyone pays the price! Thankfully i still have a modded switch for my games.... can't speak for ya'll dumbasses lol!

Good luck finding a new backdoor now 🤣
The more you talk, the worse it gets... it's kind of impressive how confident you are in being wrong..

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a Switch, and when I finally bought an 80 dollar GPU a month or so ago, I tried TOTK with Yuzu out of curiosity. I was honestly impressed how well it worked. It actually does play better than the Switch it self. lmao

Hopefully the other Switch emulator doesn't die.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They think that suddenly instead of emulating Denuvo games they will suddenly start cracking them. Which will not happen unless Empress publish how to crack them.
It's concerning how people think the two are interchangeable...

Tycor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I want to know why a settlement was reached... Never will I guess. However, it seems a bit odd that if emulation is wholly legal, why did Yuzu bow out? Legal fees? The world will never know..

Probably because getting sued and losing would have cost them even more. Now they will probably just file bankruptcy and they won't even have to pay the settlement.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more you talk, the worse it gets... it's kind of impressive how confident you are in being wrong..
nah i'm just taking the piss at ya'll for fucking up this bad and how long ya'll kept Nintendo at your radars to now finally paying the ultimate price.

I'm glad that this happened and hopefully should teach each and everyone here a serious lesson on how to be better at pirating in the future and how to keep your lips from flapping all the goddamn time.

• Angry
Reactions: BigOnYa

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Shit so Atmosphere and Hekate (the very foundation of hacker v1 switches) could be in danger too?

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does not matter much who wins. As the one with less financial backing is more likely to bow down the longer the legal proceedings drag on

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Not a problem I'll just use my original hardware, Nintendo sucks. Hopefully next gen has bigger fatal flaws and piracy runs even more rampant than ever.

Also as everyone mostly stated, forks will come about.
If it's anything like the first Gen Switch, I'll likely buy one just to set it aside until an exploit and hack are made publicly available.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn! I didn't expect it to be over so quickly. I know I was critical of Yuzu for taking donations in exchange for newer builds, but shit... And now Citra is shutting down, too. Makes me think though... maybe devs should hold off on making emulators of a system until it has reached end of life. If nothing else, they might not be as quick in drawing the gaze of Nintendo's legal team. That, or emulation of new devices is going to have to go underground for a while. Either way, I don't like where this is going.

Reactions: Impossible_Igntiz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/